Cubase won the NAMM 2015 TEC award.....

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Gravity Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Cubase won the NAMM 2015 TEC award.....

Post by Gravity Jim »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Editors sometimes have their heads up the advertisers butts.
Exactly. We weren't going to slag a Roland product even if it was bad. The market took care of that one.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Bowman

Post by Bowman »

Shooshie wrote:I used to write for magazines, too. Press releases, Interviews, advertising. I was a performing arts agent, too. Often I had no control over how my work was being used to promote mediocrity, or even evil.
Back in the 70s, my New York manager used to subtly alter reviews of my concerts to make them somewhat more favourable than they actually had been. After a few tweaks, quotes that weren’t actually quotes started to make their way around the musical world. Useful for selling concerts, but very close to fraudulent.

Like our friend Shooshie, eventually I quit that world. Not just for that, but it was one of the reasons I left. I have been suspicious of advertising ever since.

Bowman
iMac Intel Core i5 3.2ghz - 16gb RAM - OSX 10.10.5 - DP 9.01 - Mach Five 3.2.1 - Ethno Instrument 2.0.3 - Kontakt 5.4.3 - 4pre - 828 original - micro express
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Bowman wrote:Back in the 70s, my New York manager used to subtly alter reviews of my concerts to make them somewhat more favourable than they actually had been. After a few tweaks, quotes that weren’t actually quotes started to make their way around the musical world. Useful for selling concerts, but very close to fraudulent.
Haha! I know the drill. The review says "after a fabulous warm-up exercise, the soloist came out on stage. Everything went downhill from there. —New York Times"

The manager/agent then prints a thousand fliers with the quote: "'FABULOUS' — NEW YORK TIMES" Technically it's a legitimate quote!
:rofl:

Unfortunately, it has the effect of making you never trust quotes again, since probably 90% of those quotes on promotional materials were arrived at in the same manner. After my years of experience in that industry, I began noticing that the best reviewers were careful not to give away "free quotes" without deliberately intending to.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Cubase 9 is out now, and has a rather weird set of "enhancements" that I can't figure out the use for. Maybe the're for loop-based people.

http://www.kvraudio.com/news/steinberg- ... ware-35610

Cubase 8.5 was a big step forward, and has some interesting and unique features. Maybe Steinberg does the important stuff in the .5 releases?

At any rate, I doubt Cubase 9 has anything going for it that would put it up for a TEC award next month. :-) Maybe DP9 still has a chance for that award...

It's kind of laughable that one of the big talking points for Cubase 9 is that it now supports a minor level of customization for having another workflow window below the main one -- still not even close to the amazing flexibility of having stacked main panes in DP along with left and right sidebars of your choosing.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

mhschmieder wrote:Cubase 9 is out now, and has a rather weird set of "enhancements" that I can't figure out the use for. Maybe the're for loop-based people.

http://www.kvraudio.com/news/steinberg- ... ware-35610

Cubase 8.5 was a big step forward, and has some interesting and unique features. Maybe Steinberg does the important stuff in the .5 releases?

At any rate, I doubt Cubase 9 has anything going for it that would put it up for a TEC award next month. :-) Maybe DP9 still has a chance for that award...

It's kind of laughable that one of the big talking points for Cubase 9 is that it now supports a minor level of customization for having another workflow window below the main one -- still not even close to the amazing flexibility of having stacked main panes in DP along with left and right sidebars of your choosing.
Seems that most of the Cubase folks think the update is pretty trashy too.

At least it has mixer undo, which is a feature DP definitely needs. I'd pay $99 right now for that, no questions asked.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Oh, I didn't notice Mixer Undo, which is my most-needed feature in DP, considering how often a slip happens and I can't get back to the magic balance. :-)
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

mhschmieder wrote:Oh, I didn't notice Mixer Undo, which is my most-needed feature in DP, considering how often a slip happens and I can't get back to the magic balance. :-)
That would be very nice!

I would probably use that daily...maybe hourly!

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

As is customary round these parts here's the current workaround, before deciding I need to do anything drastic to a mix that's almost there, I save it with Mix Takes. :)
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Michael, yeah, I remember you or someone else mentioning that workaround earlier, and it is on my crib sheet for my next "serious" mixing session in a week or two (maybe even this weekend) -- I've mostly been composing/recording/arranging and doing "quick/dirty" mixes of eight albums worth of material, this past year to year and a half. :-)