Spectrasonics announces Omnisphere 2!

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Spectrasonics announces Omnisphere 2!

Post by Rick Cornish »

Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
dix

Post by dix »

I'm not sure why they're delivering via snail mail, but I got my pre-ordered download code today - along with a lot of stuff from Ilio that went right to the recycling bin. Seems unnecessary waste all that paper and fuel. I wonder why they're delivering it this way.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

It's extremely confusing how they're presenting this. Some of the wording makes it sound like "early adopter: discount, while other memos and emails and the like make it sound like it's just a pre-order queueing system, which also makes no sense if it's electronic delivery (there is ambiguity on whether that is an available option) in which case "first come first served" barely applies.

I wonder if the cash infusion is needed so strongly that deliberate obfuscation is at play? In other words, use wording that will encourage people to read what they want to see? Not really dishonest in my view, but possibly a tactic that would backfire -- especially with so many new products and sales (almost all cheaper than Omnisphere 2.0, even if not similar products).

I just can't justify $250 on a sample-based tries-to-do-everything VI at this point that is an upgrade to one I already own. I rarely ever use the product, and when I do, it is almost exclusively for some of its effected choirs, which sit well in the mix and are often exactly what I need vs. a "truer" classical choir (which I have several of).

OTOH if it's going to go way up in price (even the upgrade license), I need to know so I can budget accordingly. Right now I am simply confused as the email vs. the web announcement vs. other sources are quite contradictory to each other.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
dix

Post by dix »

The pricing seems pretty clear. $500 for the VI, $250 for the upgrade. That may be a bit high compared to Spectrasonics upgrades in the past which were extremely generous ($199 from Atmosphere to Omnisphere as I recall and that was a massive, complete redo of the plugin). I consider Spectrasonics ethical players overall. Not so good at communicating in this instance perhaps.

I use Omnisphere a lot so it's worth it for me. I just don't see the logic of mailing me a code. Is it copy protection of some sort?
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Their site directs you to resellers, but none seem to have the "VIP Upgrade" available ($199 vs $229). I guess that is available only from them.

The server crunch on the 30th will be massive. I think I'll just plan to get it a week later when things have calmed down a bit.

:)

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

billf

Post by billf »

mhschmieder wrote:It's extremely confusing how they're presenting this. Some of the wording makes it sound like "early adopter: discount, while other memos and emails and the like make it sound like it's just a pre-order queueing system, which also makes no sense if it's electronic delivery (there is ambiguity on whether that is an available option) in which case "first come first served" barely applies.
I noticed that too. It sounds like part of it will be a download and part of it will be shipped. Maybe it's some sort of license code? It's confusing to say the least.
boxed $249 Omnisphere 2 STANDARD UPGRADE (Available April 30, 2015). Pre-Order Now.

IMPORTANT: Please make certain you're eligible. The Omnisphere 2 upgrade won't work unless you have already registered Omnisphere 1! The package containing your download code will be shipped to you upon purchase. Order now so you will be ready to download Omnisphere 2 immediately on April 30, 2015!

*Free USPS shipping within the 48 contiguous United States.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
dix

Post by dix »

boxed $249
The download code is the only thing that comes in the box! ...+ the aforementioned junk mail from Ilio. Weird.
crescentoon55
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by crescentoon55 »

Spectrasonics will be offering the VIP upgrade on the release date.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Sure I'm whinging a bit, but it bothers me that it's now standard for a lot of developers to charge 1/2 of the price new or more for upgrades these days. It seems to me it used to be 20-40% and when the competition got fierce companies started relying on people wanting to stay current for more income...
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

How is the pricing clear, again? We already had three separate answers, and not one of them is definitive about whether any of the prices are introductory-only, pre-sale only, etc. I thought I made it clear that was what I was getting at; whether there is an incentive or need to act NOW.

As for the "boxed product", I do now seem to recall SOME vendor doing that a few years back, with what otherwise was a download product. Maybe it was Spectrasonic. And maybe it was for backup "just in case" (for the primary content at least) with the convenience of being able to download at any time.

A few vendors have taken a mixed approach over the years. It's more the norm now to be download-only though -- even for gigantic products. For those with adequate download speeds, it's actually faster than copying a USB drive, by far! And especially vs. CD or DVD installations.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
billf

Post by billf »

mhschmieder wrote:It's more the norm now to be download-only though -- even for gigantic products. For those with adequate download speeds, it's actually faster than copying a USB drive, by far! And especially vs. CD or DVD installations.
As someone with limited network options, I do not like downloading gigantic libraries, I much prefer a drive option. The downloading of Logic X content, for example, was a nightmare I would not want to have to repeat. lol
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

As someone with limited network options, I do not like downloading gigantic libraries, I much prefer a drive option. The downloading of Logic X content, for example, was a nightmare I would not want to have to repeat. lol
Living in a remote area and using satellite Internet (which charges by usage), I'd prefer shuffling CDs to doubling my monthly Internet service charge.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
davelee

Post by davelee »

Just looked at the Spectrasonics website.
Pricing seems clear to me.
I will pay$199 as I own all three products.
Omnisphere, in my opinion, is a must have.
Mac Mini 2.3 i7 Quad 16 gig RAM OS 10.10.1, Macbook Pro Dual Core 2.16 4 gig RAM 10.10.1, Digital Performer 8.07,Universal Audio Quad, Mackie Onyx 800R, Yamaha Motif ES Rack, Omnisphere, RMX and Trilian,Komplete 9 Ultimate, Ivory I, BFD 2, Korg LCDE, Real Guitar, Real Strat, Ethno 2, Altiverb 7,True Pianos, Synplant, Microtonic, Dynaudio BM6a, Avantone Mix Cubes, Alphatrack, Mackie Big Knob,Yamaha KX-8,Yamaha KX-76,Axiom 25...and more.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I'm not sure how many times I have to restate this for it to be clear:

There is an insinuation that it is an early adopter discount, as opposed to the regular price. This is neither confirmed nor refuted, as far as I can see.

dix

Post by dix »

Oh sht, I guess it is confusing. I paid $250 when I should have paid $200 for the VIP discount! … which is for people that own all three Spectrasonics products, which I do.