Spectrasonics announces Omnisphere 2!

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
davelee
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Spectrasonics announces Omnisphere 2!

Post by davelee »

I've looked at the website...I saw nothing bout early adoption.
I have received no emails or snail that stated that.
Eric Persing would not, in my opinion, do anything that would confuse people.
I have been a user since the first Stylus came out.
i consider Spectrasonics to be one the best companies I deal with.
Their products for me, are must haves.
YMMV
Mac Mini 2.3 i7 Quad 16 gig RAM OS 10.10.1, Macbook Pro Dual Core 2.16 4 gig RAM 10.10.1, Digital Performer 8.07,Universal Audio Quad, Mackie Onyx 800R, Yamaha Motif ES Rack, Omnisphere, RMX and Trilian,Komplete 9 Ultimate, Ivory I, BFD 2, Korg LCDE, Real Guitar, Real Strat, Ethno 2, Altiverb 7,True Pianos, Synplant, Microtonic, Dynaudio BM6a, Avantone Mix Cubes, Alphatrack, Mackie Big Knob,Yamaha KX-8,Yamaha KX-76,Axiom 25...and more.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

OK, thanks. There have been too many cases lately with other vendors where the consequences of waiting weren't made clear. I will hold off on the update then as I only use this product for choirs at the moment (and maybe one or two atmospheric soundscapes). I think the encouragement to pre-order may have had more to do with the queue for discs and/or USB drive delivery.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
dix

Post by dix »

dix wrote:Oh sht, I guess it is confusing. I paid $250 when I should have paid $200 for the VIP discount! … which is for people that own all three Spectrasonics products, which I do.
In case anyone else is in the same boat, Ilio, from whom I purchased the upgrade, were kind enough to refund me $50 to match the VIP pricing.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
dix

Post by dix »

Best to wait a bit to upgrade as usual. Predictably, Spectrasonics.net is super slow. I was able to download and install, but can't authorize. Demo mode is available in the time being. Unfortunately, the demo doesn't load the Omnisphere 1 patches in older projects. Hoping the authorized version does.

[EDIT: Spectrasonics.net now completely down. I've reverted to v1. Good thing I backed up my STEAM folder]

[EDIT 2: All good now. Spectrasonics.net is back. I'm authorized and patches in older projects are loading as expected]
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Oh man, I'm so jealous, dix. Well done, mate. Ripper!

Still a 6-12 month wait for me, but I'm so keen to see how this affects my MIDI-hardware usage.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Really like the new UI. Slick.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Website was closed, but I sent them my email (in the field they thoughtfully provided) and, within minutes, Spectrasonics sent me a personal ink that is working fine (downloading Omni2 now.)

I used to have an Arp Omni. :lol:
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

HCMarkus wrote:Website was closed, but I sent them my email (in the field they thoughtfully provided) and, within minutes, Spectrasonics sent me a personal ink that is working fine (downloading Omni2 now.)

I used to have an Arp Omni. :lol:

+1
After receiving the link it was a very easy dl & install .
Omnisphere 2 looks very cool will start delving into it later this week(hopefully) ;-)
just finishing setting up the newer Mac Pro still lots to still install and authorize ..........
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I went ahead and did the $199 multiple loyalty offer yesterday, as it does indeed look set to expire soon and as I am wrapping up production of a project that includes Omnisphere choirs so thought I might as well see if I benefit from any last-minute tweaking using v 2.0.

I'm about to try that now, but wanted to write to say how painless this upgrade process was.

This is in sharp contrast to my still-unresolved failure (after 16 hours spread across three separate occasions) to get Cakewalk Rapture Pro to properly install and use its patch libraries (which are sample-based and quite large when taken together). Luckily their support staff is working with me on the issue, so hopefully my detailed notes from last night will help them resolve the issue or provide me with some workaround.

Back to Omnisphere 2 though, the directions were clear as day in the user manual, and the website was quite easy to use for all three stages of the process (only two for those without Trillian, and four if you have the Moog Legacy stuff).

I'm impressed at the improved performance and smoother browsing in the new version, and look forward to exploring its new capabilities and sounds.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Drool...

Can't wait to hear your verdict, Mark, as this is the only VI (possibly bundled with the other two), which has been on my radar since it came to market!

supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I got the VIP upgrade through a distributor alright (Poland)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

OMNI INSTALLATION NOTES (AND WARNING)

Hey........
I decided to purchase the update. Got the VIP upgrade for $199.

Despite Spectrasonics assurances, I was nervous about upgrading Omni when I am using it in several projects currently. I decided to go ahead and Freeze all instances of Omnisphere in my active projects as a back-up. Glad I did.

The downloader application and installers worked perfectly. Credit to Spectrasonics on this one: they really got it right. Just follow the simple instructions and it works as advertised.

Just one thing…

Once the update has been installed, you're asked to boot your host (i.e. DP) and open an instance of Omnisphere to enter the usual Spectra challenge/response codes. This works fine. What surprised me was I was then asked to de-instantiate that instance of Omni and then re-instantiate it to complete the process. Oops..... I had custom edits to the patches I was using in that instance and would have lost all that work. I worked around it by creating a new instance of Omni (without closing the existing one) and opening it—confirming that the authorization was successful. Then I just quit DP and re-started it and the instance I was using to authorize opened fine.

My recommendation is, after you do the installation, launch DP and create a NEW instance of Omni for the authorization process. Once it's authorized, I've found (thus far, anyway) that pre-existing instances behave as expected. Hope this helps someone. Cheers.....
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Great heads-up, Rick. Thanks mate.

Now, anyone care to comment on how good the new EDM bank is? We all know what to expect from the rest, given the plethora of videos that emerged earlier this year, but the EDM additions were only mentioned in passing.

I ask because, if plausible, I'd like to avoid having to buy into Massive, Rob Papen et al and Omni's offering's being up to scratch could well save me in this area. I accept that Sylenth, which I think is a cheap purchase and a small footprint anyway, may be required to supplement Omni in this genre. Guess I won't know 'till someone reports in... hint, hint...

Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Hey MM....
It just so happens I only moments ago stepped through the EDM patches in Omni 2.

DISCLAIMER: I'm NOT an EDM producer or DJ, so I won't claim to know what sounds are de rigeur and which may be passé

…but—with that caveat—I found a surprising number of patches in the EDM category usable for me in my jazzy/ambient/chillout tracks and heard many, many more that were squarely in the Massive/Papen/Virus category… at least to my ear. I think someone could earn a spot on Beatport with Omnisphere alone.

But again, that's just my take.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Hey, I'll take your take and raise you a... oh... thank you, Rick!

Sounds very encouraging, mate; I appreciate that. Thanks again!