New VAX controller keyboard on Kickstarter

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: New VAX controller keyboard on Kickstarter

Post by Shooshie »

Prime Mover wrote:I just can't envision a situation where Poly AT would really work for me. I almost always assign Channel Pressure to vibrato, and that's one instance where I really wouldn't WANT different pitches LFOing independantly.
Not to get off on a tangent, but independent vibrato would be a good thing. Nothing sounds more "organish" than the whole section LFO-ing together. Technically a good string section follows the concertmaster's lead in bowing and vibrato, but in reality it's the discrepancies between the players that makes the section sound real. With poly-AT, as long as you give them fairly even pressure across the fingers, you'll get nearly identical vibratos, but the key-word there is "nearly."

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I think the strongest argument for Poly-AT is that the only per-note controls we have are attack & release velocity. And those are very brief moments.

After that, the only per-note control STREAM we have is Poly-AT, and it is rare. Some manufactures are realizing there is a market for folks who want that degree of control. So we are seeing something of a resurgence in small boutique controllers.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

I get your points about Poly-AT, and Shooshie, you're right about string section realism. Though, I just had a thought about how to "fake" it, is using note range to slightly alter the LFO frequency and phase, that way different notes will have different LFOs, I should try that.

But no question that it would be nice to have a "by note" continuous controller.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy