Capabilities DP8...

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Rubens
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Capabilities DP8...

Post by Rubens »

Hi guys, I copied this from the film composer page in Facebook and I hope the pros here could give one appropriate answer addressing DP8 capabilities! Thank's!

Here's an example Cubase workflow I can do very quickly, with all functions being 1 key command.
-Play in a 16th note arpeggio
-Set grid to 16th
-quantize
-Make all the notes a fixed length (exactly 16ths)
-Then grab them all and make notes slightly longer to trigger legatos, but not so long as to make your orchestrator hate you
-Bring up the Velocity, Expression and Modulation lanes visible
-Grab the first 16th note of every bar and set it's velocity to X
-Grab the second 16th note etc like above and continue until all the velocities are what you want
-Make the Volume, Expression and Modulation lanes visible
-Play it again riding your faders
-Delete just the expression lane
-Play it again riding just the expression lane
-Grab the expression MIDI and expand/compress it or raise/lower it or do it as key command
Michael Canavan

Re: Capabilities DP8...

Post by Michael Canavan »

There's at least one:
-recover from crash
missing from that list! :lol:

I kid, but hey Cubase does some sequencing for pop/dance music stuff really well, DP can cover most of that, but every DAW has it's strengths. As a composer for film are you really that in need of a key command to raise the velocity of the first note of a bar to a set number? or is it more important that Final Cut Pro works well with your DAW and it's got features that work well with 90 minute pieces and replace segments in that 90 minute timeline quickly?
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Moving to the "MOTU Theoretical / OT" section. This "Comparative DAW 101" time.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
buhardilla

Post by buhardilla »

Sincerely, do you think that DP doesn't have the same MIDI capabilities? As a DP and Cubase owner I can say you that MIDI functions of both DAW are the same and powerful. If you have the talent you'll be able to do great music in Cubase and DP. ...
Pd. At this moment I like DP workflow (stability..important!!) more than Cubase
DP 10.11 || iMac 2019 5K ||i9 8core 3.6GHz|| 64 GB RAM|| macOS 11.5.1
RME AiOPro || Softube Console 1 ||
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I saw this on FB, and I still don't know what the hell it's getting at. Is it asking if DP can perform each of these functions with one click?

I'm guessing the reason I don't understand is when I saw it the first time, I thought, "instead of doing all this gyrating, why don't you just play it the way you want it?"
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]