How did you come to using DP ?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Todzilla
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: How did you come to using DP ?

Post by Todzilla »

I decided to get a sequencer for my Mac around 1995. At the time the two big players were Performer and Studio Vision. Can't recall why I went MOTU, but I did. As Opcode went belly up, I was loving Performer. I synced it, via MIDI to the eighth track of my Fostex Model 80, for the most fault vulnerable audio/MIDI recording system ever. When it worked, it was amazing.

As that rig began to disintegrate in 2004 (pretty good life span, really!), I looked at my options. I almost went retro - 16 tracks on 1" mag tape, then briefly contemplated some gawdawful multiple ADAT rig, finally gaining my senses and going for a new Mac and DP.

Haven't looked back.
-Todzilla
Huge sound generation & capture facilities
On the banks of the River Eno
DP 8!!!, OSX 10.7.3, 15" MacBook Pro w 16G RAM 256G SSD & 630GHD, MOTU 896HD, MX4, Komplete 8, Apogee Symphony I/O, Neumann U-89, pair of Peluso P12s, Seventh Circle & Demeter preamps, Lava lamp, stuffed frog playing bongos
oldecuriosity
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by oldecuriosity »

This thread brings back some great memories . . . I started with a Tascam 4 track and (eventually) 8 track Portastudio in the basement. Moved on to Master Tracks Pro and Dr. T's Beyond (Anyone remember that one? GREAT program - developer was in Cambridge and you could actually get him on the phone if you needed tech support). Moved to Performer and an ADAT and tried MOTU's Freestyle. Started doing studio work and when the local place (which was using Vision) saw regular Performer on my laptop, they were intrigued and switched over to DP . . . I followed suit to be in sync with them, making it easy to do the majority of work at home, and then finish in the commercial studio, saving much time and money. Unfortunately, the studio moved to a full PT rig after DP 6 issues.

Despite the occasional issue, couldn't be happier with the software AND the help on this board - winning combination!

DP 11
iMac M1 (24-inch, 2021) 16GB RAM
OS X 11.6.2
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by HCMarkus »

wylie1 wrote:I've done all my 4&8 track it was allot of work.
Can you bake cassettes? I've got about 5 shoe boxes of those.
I was thinking of buying a new deck just for the cassettes.
I suppose it is possible, but don't try the method I (inadvertently) attempted, with a little help from the 2003 Cedar wildfire. Yes, burning one's studio to the ground will bake tapes, but they become very difficult to play back.

By virtue of my good friend (and now bro-in-law) I gained access to my first multi track; it was a Dokorder. Unfortunately, none those baked tapes (or any of my Cassette, ADAT and DAT tapes) survive today. RIP.
Now if there were only a music industry left to use it in!
More than a little truth there, Babs. Better be doing sound for picture these days!