How did you come to using DP ?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How did you come to using DP ?

Post by Shooshie »

In 1984 I walked into a computer store and saw a Mac. After trying it out, I realized that computers had arrived at the point where they were actually useful, and I bought one on the spot. The primary use I had in mind was for writing scores. There was a MOTU poster in the store, showing Professional Composer. It took nearly a year before it was finished, and I had to upgrade my computer to run it, but when I finally got it, I began transcribing stuff like crazy.

I'd been a performer for all my adult life, and I wrote or transcribed most of what I played. I never settled for only the standard repertoire that everyone else played. Of course, I often found that something would work better in another key, so I'd have to start over and do it again. The computer meant that I could write it once, then print it in any key, for any combination of instruments. That was GREAT!

But Composer was buggy and incomplete. I sent them so many suggestions, they made me a beta-tester. Later MOTU dropped Composer and created Mosaic, which I liked even better. Meanwhile, they had released Performer, the MIDI sequencer, in early 1986. I bought that and began using it to arrange for MIDI ensemble, performing live instruments with it. I desperately needed something to record my acoustic instruments along with the MIDI, so when Digital Performer came out and was practical on a Mac I could afford, I soon began using it. First, I used it for a studio with whom I was working. A few years later I bought a MOTU 2408 and bought my own copy of DP. (Hey, it cost $1000 back then!) That was when we measured RAM in megabytes (200MB was a lot of RAM), so it was a while before I could do the projects I wanted to do in DP.

I used Performer professionally, and when I started using DP, I became a recording engineer. I had actually studied recording engineering privately from a good guy in Dallas, so the knowledge part wasn't a leap, but learning the digital side of everything took quite a long time on a curve that kept getting steeper every time I thought it was going to level out. I don't think you could ever learn all there is to know about that. Fortunately, DP's curve starts to level out after a few years. There are always new things to know, things you've missed, new features that slipped past you, but the basic processes are all pretty easy to understand and use.

I've tried several DAWs. I liked Pro Tools when I used it, but I doubt that I'd recognize it now. It didn't even have MIDI when I used it (or if it did, I didn't know). Logic? Well... I gave it a year. It gave me little in return for that year. Not a fan. Live? Acid? Reaper? I see their attraction, but they aren't for me. Vision? Sadly, it is no more, but it was interesting when it was around. I never owned it, but I tried it out with a friend. Garageband? Cute for an evening or two. Wears thin awfully quickly. I think I'll be staying with DP as long as it and I can still make music together.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
billf

Post by billf »

I was migrating from Atari to a Mac G3, and called Sweetwater ready to order Cubase (which I had been using on the Atari). The Sweetwater rep convinced me that I would be better off with Digital Performer, so I started on the Mac platform with DP 2.72 and never looked back.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
dpg4macman

Post by dpg4macman »

I was working in Studio Vision and ProTools 3 tracking and took the tracks to NJ studio for mixing where they used DP 2.7 - I loved it so much I had to buy it right away. Been using it every since. They all (DAW's) do what they do very well, I just prefer DP over all others. My thoughts
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Ron! Great to see you're still here, mate. Ripper. Hope you're well.
mikehalloran wrote:
Switched again to 2 Adats with the big controller, can't remember the name, big something?
Alesis BRC. I think it stood for Big Remote Control, right?
Yup, and I had the LRC (little Remote Control), which was just fine for a single unit.
billf wrote:I was migrating from Atari to a Mac G3, and called Sweetwater ready to order Cubase (which I had been using on the Atari). The Sweetwater rep convinced me that I would be better off with Digital Performer, so I started on the Mac platform with DP 2.72 and never looked back.
Ha! That would've been 1999, Billy, as I started with the first G3 and 2.72 back then as well.

Jinx, brother.

Fellas, the Monty Python one-upmanship actually made my eyes water. Brilliant stuff! Thank you for that.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
bolla

Post by bolla »

I dimly recall Performer 2.64. ?
Hooked up to a Tascam 1/4" 8 track with a Mac SE.......

I was horrified.
This was in the garage of a composer who wanted me to mix his stuff.
Ex LA.
I nearly walked.
I was used to SSL and Neve/ Mitsubishi 32 digi at Sydney's leading Studio.

Another writer called and wanted me to mix some stuff at his home studio.
Again Performer. Also ex LA.

I spent a fair amount of time asking can you do this for me in DP?
When the answer was no I would try and find the answer in the manual.
When that didn't work I would find the answer here.

When it came time to find a program for my own use the options were PT with its prohibitive pricing structure or DP which I had come to know by association.

Glad I chose DP.

Cheers, Bolla.
8 Core 2.8 10.11.1 DP 8.07 | Dual 2.5 G5 VEP Slave | PC i7 920 VEP Slave | UAD Sat Quad | MiniMoog
bolla

Post by bolla »

mikehalloran wrote: When I started, it was editing rusty wire recordings -- on second hand barbed wire with used masking tape. I had to pay for the privilege!!!
I should be so lucky....... We would scrape ear wax from sleeping roadie and hand roll cylinder to record broken amp noise in glorious living mono.
8 Core 2.8 10.11.1 DP 8.07 | Dual 2.5 G5 VEP Slave | PC i7 920 VEP Slave | UAD Sat Quad | MiniMoog
billf

Post by billf »

monkey man wrote: Ha! That would've been 1999, Billy, as I started with the first G3 and 2.72 back then as well

Lol, yes it was the late 90's. I actually had a Mac before the G3 line came out, but only had a sequencer on it. My digital audio stuff was mainly from an ADAT synced to either the Atari or the Mac. When I acquired the G3, I thought I wanted Cubase, but my Sweetwater rep was on top of things and fortunately I was put on a better path.
monkey man wrote: Jinx, brother.
The only time I felt anything close to jinxed with DP was around the 6.0 release, but even that wasn't too bad. But really, given all the major transitions that Apple foisted on us since the G3, I have to say DP overall has been great.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

When I try to think back I remember an old prophet that would take forever to load sounds off floppy disks a few MIDI modules some keyboards a little Mac plus synced to tape and Performer was on one 3.5" disk.
O ya and an Echo plex that we use to make our own tape loops that ran loose off the edge of the table in to a pile on the floor.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
MIDI Life Crisis

How did you come to using DP ?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

wylie1 wrote:When I try to think back I remember an old prophet that would take forever....
No religion alert! But the old prophets always take for-ever when their loaded.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dix

Post by dix »

I'm another StudioVision refugee. When Opcode went out of business MOTU added several StudioVision-like features to DP to entice cross-graders. The MIDI Editor in DP was a direct emulation of how SV handled MIDI (with several improvements I might add). That editor was and still is crucial to my work method.

I remember talking to Jim Cooper at AES as Opcode was being dismantled and him telling me how MOTU were aggressively courting StudioVision users by adding SV-like features.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
frankf

Post by frankf »

dix wrote:I'm another StudioVision refugee. When Opcode went out of business MOTU added several StudioVision-like features to DP to entice cross-graders. The MIDI Editor in DP was a direct emulation of how SV handled MIDI (with several improvements I might add). That editor was and still is crucial to my work method.

I remember talking to Jim Cooper at AES as Opcode was being dismantled and him telling me how MOTU were aggressively courting StudioVision users by adding SV-like features.

I could have written your post. My story exactly.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I was migrating from Notator on Atari STe to Mac. Tried Vision and Performer, liked Performer (1.7) better. Been a MOTU user ever since with a couple of infidelities... A year with ProTools, less than a year with Logic.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Well, if you want to make it a pissing contest, I started out writing music notes on paper with a pencil (HB soft was preferred) the way they did in the 1400s. Actually, I still do that and find it more reliable than ANY DAW or notation program. What you put down (or print) will surely last longer than anything you record or sequence.
Back in the day when I was 4 I started out banging two rocks together and yelling a lot.
oh yeah! :koolaid:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Ha! Not to brag, but I could make my flagellum sound like Jack Bruce.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Back in the day when I was 4 I started out banging two rocks together and yelling a lot.
Two rocks? Ha!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro