Basic FCP Questions

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Basic FCP Questions

Post by bayswater »

I don't do much video, and don't have FCP, but I've been asked by the family to deal with about 100 hours of videos, basically edit out the rubbish, and make a few DVDs people can watch. A neighbour in film has lent me a recent MBP with OS X 10.8.5 and FCP 10.1 on it. I've created about 50 .dv files, and put them in a FCP library to try basic editing.

I am used to using QT Pro, and found a lot of the basic keyboard shortcuts translate, so that's good. I would have used QT Pro for this, but can't find export settings that don't degrade video quality. FCP exports appear equivalent to the original. This seems odd to me -- I would have thought FCP would use all the QT code and they'd export the same quality levels.

First, I'm trying to just cut out many hours of blank screen. I thought I would be able to export the smaller clips, but don't see anywhere in FCP to export in the original .dv format. Should I care about this? Should I just load clips into a project, cut the blank stuff, and export to a final version?

Second, I find FCP often just sits and spins a lot. For example, if I use the J/K/L keyboard commands to move the transport, it works, but if I hit L three times to get a fast forward, FCP takes about 30 seconds to respond, and then plays with jerky motion. QT Pro responds immediately with the same file and commands, and plays smoothly. Is this normal?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Re: Basic FCP Questions

Post by Shooshie »

When you speak of QT Pro, are you talking about QT Player 7? (Pro) Or are you talking about the new QT?

I've found that when I try to export MP4, the result is about on par with 1995 internet movie downloads; barely watchable. When I export from Screenflow, the files are a fraction of the size of .movies from QT pro, and yet they are HD. I've always wondered what was up with QT Pro, and why I could never get good movies at a decent file size. Why should a 5 minute movie require a GB in size to offer HD, as it does in QT Pro? I can get a 15 minute movie under 100MB in Screenflow.

You might try using iMovie or ScreenFlow or some other 3rd party movie software.

I still love QT Pro for editing movies quickly. You can't beat it for that, but the output? Whew!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
billf

Post by billf »

bayswater wrote: First, I'm trying to just cut out many hours of blank screen. I thought I would be able to export the smaller clips, but don't see anywhere in FCP to export in the original .dv format.

You don't really need to export all the clips once you have them in FCP. FYI, the supported export formats are here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH17903
bayswater wrote:Should I care about this? Should I just load clips into a project, cut the blank stuff, and export to a final version?
The "project" will contain all the clips and your edits. Think of it like a DAW and imported audio files that have been edited. There is the master project and all the associated raw files, and then there is the final exported product file.

You can use FCP to then export your finished project to various formats as shown above as movies.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:When you speak of QT Pro, are you talking about QT Player 7? (Pro) Or are you talking about the new QT?
I'm talking about QT 7 with the purchased SN to activate the edit functions. Not the new QT, although I use that if I'm just going to look at a video.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

billf wrote:Think of it like a DAW and imported audio files that have been edited.
OK, thanks, that's what I was hoping. No fooling around with the video files. I'm still getting the spinning beach ball, although now I see that it only happens once for each section of video. Hoping there is some function to deal with that.
billf

Post by billf »

bayswater wrote: I'm still getting the spinning beach ball, although now I see that it only happens once for each section of video. Hoping there is some function to deal with that.
Check this thread and see if anything helps resolve that issue:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/31 ... 0&tstart=0
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Thanks. A lot of ideas and suggestions there.