NAMM 2015, DP9? speculations?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

NAMM 2015, DP9? speculations?

Post by Michael Canavan »

Working on my place (bathroom shower) instead of doing anything fun and it dawned on me it's been three years since DP8 was announced! There's a very high possibility that DP9 will be announced in the upcoming NAMM show. Yet another wish list thread popped up, and it's IMO far too late for that, but it's never too late to speculate on what they improved and added to the inevitable upcoming DP9! Here's my guess's.

1. IMO they're long overdue for improved time stretching algorithms, maybe even something akin to the way Live does it, this could be added to the ReCycle like functions in the Sample Editor.

2. Some MIDI improvements, basic stuff, nothing fancy. Mostly keyboard zones for MIDI tracks, as a lot of people have controller keys that do not do this pre DAW these days.

3. New plug ins of course. Maybe even a high end synth or drum sample library built in. VST3 support.

Since I actually want the first two, I'm guessing that only one of them will happen in DP9, but we will get new plug ins!

Thoughts?
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
BKK-OZ

Re: NAMM 2015, DP9? speculations?

Post by BKK-OZ »

Snappier.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Michael Canavan

BKK-OZ wrote:Snappier.
Well of course! duh! :lol:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

OK, snappier, and...

- update of DP control
- multiband dynamics improvements/updates
- more presets for ProVerb, and an evolution of ProVerb

BTW, sorry to go OT, but the Packers gonna whup you this weekend.
(Ex-Wisconsin boy here.)
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

BKK-OZ wrote: - multiband dynamics improvements/updates
- more presets for ProVerb, and an evolution of ProVerb
+10 to the power of a kazillion.

... and some mega instruments and a vocoder...

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Michael Canavan wrote:Working on my place (bathroom shower) instead of doing anything fun and it dawned on me it's been three years since DP8 was announced!
Man, I have a serious case of memory loss, or time distortion, or something. I keep thinking of DP8 as the version that just came out. It's just a few months old. (x 10, apparently) Is it really 3 years old? That's just amazing.

I think part of it is because I expected MOTU to begin to release update versions quite often, now that they're 100% vested in the Cocoa programming environment, where updates are very simple to produce. We're up to 8.07, which is good, but I kinda figured we'd be at 8.5 or so. Well, I just hope that they've devoted some real time to shaking out bugs, making Tap Tempo work correctly (hint for MOTU: get some real musicians to provide real files, 100+ bars long, with dozens of tracks, lots of ritards, accelerandos, time and tempo changes, and try it on 10 year old files. It should work without workarounds.)

Get the "pop" out of the audio when clicking on buttons in the interface while playing back or recording. Mute, solo, unmute, record enable, etc., etc., all should work without interruption of playback, which USED to be sacred. Let's return to that state of perfect playback.

Squash all the bugs. Read the suggestions people have sent. Make a prioritized list and start putting them in!

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

DP 8 was announced three years ago but didn't ship till nine months later. This announcement was dated Sept 7, 2012.
http://www.motu.com/newsitems/dp8-is-now-shipping

The Windows version shipped even later.

In my book, DP 8 isn't even 2 1/2 years old.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Michael Canavan

mikehalloran wrote:DP 8 was announced three years ago but didn't ship till nine months later. This announcement was dated Sept 7, 2012.
http://www.motu.com/newsitems/dp8-is-now-shipping

The Windows version shipped even later.

In my book, DP 8 isn't even 2 1/2 years old.
Yes, that's what I said, the announcement was three years ago, although I'm absolutely sure due to the problems with getting the Windows version going and their contention they would release both at the same time, which they had to break, the actual release date was way longer than the within six months it usually ships in after an announcement.
With that in mind I suppose it's possible that the new dual coding and requirements etc. of that will make it so we don't see DP9 announce at NAMM, but this is a speculation thread after all. :)

Also Shooshie 100% agreed, all bugs squashed should be the first thing, although that doesn't lure in new customers like it should.

I'm still betting we see an announcement of DP9 at NAMM, it's traditional, and NAMM 2016 is too far off.. Although I missed DP 3 and 4 which had some looong stretches between announcements.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I suppose so. I wouldn't bet on a DP 9 announcement though. 8 still feels a bit immature.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Michael Canavan

mikehalloran wrote:I suppose so. I wouldn't bet on a DP 9 announcement though. 8 still feels a bit immature.
That makes two of us! :oops:

Not betting, but I also would not be surprised, it's about time, and NAMM is their time to announce plans for the new version for the last couple years or so. My guess is a 60% chance of DP9 being announced. :)
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

One thing I can say, is that the newer plug-ins MOTU's been adding are so professional and useful (and unique) that I no longer feel compelled to look for an unbundled replacement for final production work.

Some of the plugs in this category, that get used in EVERY project and have NO SUBSTITUTES:

SubKick -- spares me having to add a third mic or "real sub-kick"; I apply to outside kick mic
Custom '59 -- WAY better than AmpliTube for amp-sourced DI tracks (vs. guitar-sourced DI)
MasterWorks Leveler -- yes, I have the "others" too, but they don't get used much
Precision Delay -- I run this on ALL tracks to verify phase alignment (and fix if necessary)

The revised MasterWorks Gate plug-in is also now one of my two or three favorite gating plugs, but I really try to avoid gating as I prefer pre-production work instead so that I can avoid artifacts and unintended side effects and just "fix" the tracks using simple editing and fades.

MOTU is full of real musicians who listen to the needs of practicing musicians and producers. I'm not convinced this is as much true of other DAW companies. It really shows, in the types of features and plugs they add to DP. They don't take a "me-too" attitude, so whatever gets added in DP9 will probably be a surprise and immediately become something we wondered how we ever lived without.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Michael Canavan

BKK-OZ wrote: BTW, sorry to go OT, but the Packers gonna whup you this weekend.
(Ex-Wisconsin boy here.)

That, was an amazing game! your team came really really close! :shock:
Michael Canavan

mhschmieder wrote: MasterWorks Leveler -- yes, I have the "others" too, but they don't get used much
I've never mastered this one, your excitement about it makes me think about putting some time into it though.

I dunno if they will continue to throw out mastering type goodies though? they have all the basics covered at this point. I would rather MOTU stick to improving the DAW bits that can't be customized though, and plug ins can be added in to DP.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Michael Canavan wrote:
BKK-OZ wrote: BTW, sorry to go OT, but the Packers gonna whup you this weekend.
(Ex-Wisconsin boy here.)
That, was an amazing game! your team came really really close! :shock:
It was a tragedy!
All that praying seems to have paid off for R Wilson - that little scrambling maniac reminds me (too much) of Fran Tarkenton.

What an unbelievable finish...
Last edited by BKK-OZ on Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
Michael Canavan

BKK-OZ wrote: It was a tragedy!
Meh! I was in SF where I was born when Seattle knocked them out last year and people were claiming they were robbed... Reality is the Packers played an amazing first three quarters and we took the fourth, it happens when two teams that are that close in skill level play each other. :headbang: