NAMM 2015, DP9? speculations?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: NAMM 2015, DP9? speculations?

Post by Shooshie »

SixStringGeek wrote:Avid releases free version of ProTools (to compete with GarageBand?)

http://www.nasdaq.com/press-release/avi ... 0122-00845

I guess...but their insistence on only supporting their own plugin format isn't going to win them any converts from people with a collection of plugs.
Digi used to offer old Pro Tools versions for free or practically nothing; I don't remember the exact terms. Of course, that was long ago, and the versions were for Classic MacOS.

This cloud-storage requirement sounds a little odd to me. Why would they do that? Do they think they'll get their hooks into more customers that way? Seems to me that people would avoid it and probably go black-market or something.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:This cloud-storage requirement sounds a little odd to me. Why would they do that? Do they think they'll get their hooks into more customers that way? Seems to me that people would avoid it and probably go black-market or something.
Cloud storage is part of the collaboration function they are promoting. If you watch the video carefully you might think you can doodle about with a song on PT, then drop George Martin a quick note asking him to finish it up for you. I probably shouldn't have brought it up. I'm not certain the cloud is the only option for PT First, but thought the likelihood worth mentioning.

I'm not so afraid of the cloud anyway. All our email and messaging is on centralized or distributed servers. This forum is as in the cloud as anything. It's on servers -- we don't know where they are or who controls them. Security, as far as privacy goes, is pretty much the same as it was in the past for telephone calls, postal services, or for telegrams before that.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Saintmatthew

Post by Saintmatthew »

toodamnhip wrote:
Tritonemusic wrote:Elastic Pitch and Elastic Time is reason enough for me to use the free version of PT.
I hate to say this, not trying to make enemies with my DP brethren , and I remind you all, I am a Big fan of Dp, but Pro Tools Elastic pitch and Time smoke Dp’s and if not for PTs elastic products, I never would have been able to fix an Live Orchestra project I did last yr. So, YES, Dp needs to improve it’s elastic properties, asap..... please! It is a bit sad that FREE Pro tools has better elastic pitch and time than DP 8...9. Unless of course, DP 9 improves this aspect? One can hope!
I just use Ableton live via rewire for stuff like that.
MacPro 12core 64GB Ram 4 1TB SSDs motu 828mk3 DP 10.11
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I'm terrified of catching up with this thread as I would be tempted to respond. I may check with James and/or Magic Dave to get a feel for what is public knowledge and what isn't.

The one thing I can confidently state without worrying that it is insider information, is that Avid gave up the lease in Daly City about six months ago and moved everyone two blocks from my own office in Berkeley. This can be verified on the web quite easily, but I found out today through my back channels. Not sure it was actually announced or not. I think it's pretty recent though.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
craigsbauer

Post by craigsbauer »

Snow Leopard 10.7 and DP8 was very stable for me. I just upgraded to Yosemite 10.10.1 because my purchase of Arturia's Single Pack wouldn't run on 10.7. Now DP8 will not run for more than 20 seconds without freezing, consistently.

Now I'm thinking of dropping back to 10.8. Any recommendations?
Thanks
Craig

I'm on a iMac 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

craigsbauer wrote:Snow Leopard 10.7 and DP8 was very stable for me. I just upgraded to Yosemite 10.10.1 because my purchase of Arturia's Single Pack wouldn't run on 10.7. Now DP8 will not run for more than 20 seconds without freezing, consistently.

Thanks
Craig

As is going to always be the case, the fussy plug in that you just bought, (Arturia Single Pack), is 90% likely to be the reason for your problems. I'm running DP8 on Yosemite with no real issues, besides a new plug in I just bought that crashes DP and Live. :wink:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

craigsbauer wrote:Snow Leopard 10.7 and DP8 was very stable for me. I just upgraded to Yosemite 10.10.1 because my purchase of Arturia's Single Pack wouldn't run on 10.7. Now DP8 will not run for more than 20 seconds without freezing, consistently.

Thanks
Craig

Look at crash reports if any are generated. Find the problem. Chances are that anything crashing Yosemite will also crash OS 10.8. Those of us who went to 10.8 Found that a lot of shareware, freeware and commercial apps were crashing our Macs and needed to be removed. The Bresink temp monitor and CD Spin Doctor were two of the most common culprits.

MOTU support and AppleCare are both good at finding this stuff. Since you just updated to Yosemite, you can get a support case to Apple for free.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

Not sure if anyone posted this...( as I'm to lazy to look) but;

http://miyaji-parec.jugem.jp/?eid=1289

Apparently MX4 might be included now
A 2018 Mac mini with 16 gb of ram
HUGE bunch o' AU instruments/fx...
A Metric Halo ULN8-3D…mmmmmmm
Remember to eat all your fruits and vegetables!
My OS is The amazingly gratuitous 10.14
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

MOTU kinda offers a free version of DP -- AudioDesk. Don't know how many people end up using it as an entrance ramp to DP, but...
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Babz wrote:MOTU kinda offers a free version of DP -- AudioDesk. Don't know how many people end up using it as an entrance ramp to DP, but...
Ahhh but that runs only with MOTU hardware. At least now AD-4 runs on PC and Mac.

I did my first recordings with AudioDesk when I got my 2408 and G3.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Babz wrote:MOTU kinda offers a free version of DP -- AudioDesk. Don't know how many people end up using it as an entrance ramp to DP, but...
It was a gateway drug for me too.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

So NAMM is long gone, where's the video of the DP9 presentation?? :mumble:

Yes, I get that it's not as complete as DP8 was when they announced it at NAMM 3 years ago, but still.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Michael Canavan wrote:So NAMM is long gone, where's the video of the DP9 presentation?? :mumble:

Yes, I get that it's not as complete as DP8 was when they announced it at NAMM 3 years ago, but still.
I agree, I posted about this in the other DP 9 thread. Pretty poor form on the part of MOTU. A simple press release would satisfy me.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

I'd keep an eye here;

https://www.youtube.com/user/motuTV?spfreload=10

Betcha it won't be to much longer
A 2018 Mac mini with 16 gb of ram
HUGE bunch o' AU instruments/fx...
A Metric Halo ULN8-3D…mmmmmmm
Remember to eat all your fruits and vegetables!
My OS is The amazingly gratuitous 10.14
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Saintmatthew wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:
Tritonemusic wrote:Elastic Pitch and Elastic Time is reason enough for me to use the free version of PT.
I hate to say this, not trying to make enemies with my DP brethren , and I remind you all, I am a Big fan of Dp, but Pro Tools Elastic pitch and Time smoke Dp’s and if not for PTs elastic products, I never would have been able to fix an Live Orchestra project I did last yr. So, YES, Dp needs to improve it’s elastic properties, asap..... please! It is a bit sad that FREE Pro tools has better elastic pitch and time than DP 8...9. Unless of course, DP 9 improves this aspect? One can hope!
I just use Ableton live via rewire for stuff like that.
I've only tried an older version of Live. Not sure how it sounds. I DO know that PT's pitch algorithm sounds great (to my ears). It's also very easy to work with.

Honestly, I don't want to purchase Live just for that. It should be a built-in feature in DP.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4