Monkey Man

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Monkey Man

Post by monkey man »

Wow, I didn't see this thread at first and then all these replies as I always use the "view active topics" button, which to the best of my knowledge excludes this sub-forum (is that what it is?).

Anyway, thank you all for taking the time to say hi to the Monkster. You're so kind.
Phil O wrote:Hey, good to hear from you. Hope all is well in Jungleville.
Phil
Hey Phil-O-Buster bud. Yeah, Jungleville's rockin'. Livin' the dream, dude.

Well, I am now that I've re-established communification with mah Unicorn brothas.
twistedtom wrote:Good to hear from you mate, what have you been up to? How have your been? better some I hope.
Just Monkey business, thanks Tom. A little better this past week.

I wasn't going to mention any of this (in the big thread), but in a nothin'-goin'-on life such as mine, this past week's been HUGE. Mum was stuck in town 'cause she couldn't afford a train back to Bathurst (in New South Wales, came to Melbourne for Chrissie); she happened to squeeze in her 3rd marriage on Saturday to a German fella from South Africa; she met him on the 'net(!). I managed to get a $2 shirt from the local opportunity shop the day before, and wore my Springbok tie for the first time since being awarded it 35 years ago. I thought my Music Man fretless was my most prized possession until Saturday when I stumbled across it. I'd forgotten I even had it as my old man has all my medals and so on. You should have seen my uncle, who I hadn't seen in 32 years, fussing about the thing, taking 'photos of me and close-ups of the tie. Guess you had to be there. Great wedding (at sister's house), and mum seems happy. I've also given up the leaf in the last week, but the baccy's still got me by the balls. LOL Funny, I "rejoined" you all on the 14th, my best mate who died's birthday. I cut 28 inches off my hair that same day, counselled his sister who always has a tough time when it comes around and so on. As I said, and as I'm sure you'd well remember, accidentally stepping on a bug makes for an exciting week in my life, so these past 6 days have been extraordinary.

In fact, it was the out-of-the-comfort-zone nature of this period that allowed me to pluck up the courage to rejoin you guys. I just said, "well, I've endured this much; how much could it hurt?"

Of course, it never hurts seeing y'all. I trust your heart's as big as I always remind you it is, Tom, and that wifey's OK; I haven't forgotten the challenges there, mate.
billf wrote:
monkey man wrote: Guitar & Bass
Which one do you play with your feet, and is it difficult playing two instruments concurrently? :D
Billy! maaaate! Hope you're cooking' with gas, man. Glad you're still here too. Gee, this is just too good.

Bass with the feet. Playing both at the same time doesn't seem to be a problem, but the concurrently bit's a killer. I'll get it eventualititty.
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Hey monkey man. Good to see you back! Mr Steele has been crackin' the 'ol whip and keeping things clean around here. Wanna sling some poo wiff da 'ol gorilla? :)

Whatchaup2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Magilla! You big, fat, steekin' simian, you!

Why so formal? Monkey Man... Monkey Man... coming from your ugly hole, it just don't feel right. Geez. What happened to you, bro'? James has really done a number on your ass with that whip, eh? Or was it on your crack with that ass... hang on... I got it... he whipped the crack with your ass. That's it.

My arm's already sore. I'll get some flingin' practice in and get back to ya, bro'. LOL
mhschmieder wrote:Glad to hear you're OK.

Are opposable toes advantageous, or harmful, when it comes to organ foot pedal work?
Hey there again, Mark.

I'd say avant-garde-tageous, mate. They're great for Jimmy Smith impressions.
Tritonemusic wrote:Hey, Monkey! Always great to see you swing by (I'm Rade...used to be 666, in case you didn't know). 8)
Radekal One! How could I forget, mate. Fantastic that you're still around; as you know, I did worry about your situation.

How's your neck 'n all these days?
Babz wrote:I thought maybe Monkey Man stood up too fast.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5pMhk8-lSNM
Hey Babz. Funny you should have said that 'cause I have orthostatic intolerance.
Every time I stand up I have to take a minute to get my bearings. Standing increases my heart rate by 30 BPM too, so I s'pose if I get into writing EDM I'd best do it standing up, eh?
James Steele wrote:Glad to hear from you Nicky! :) :woohoo:
Wow. I'm truly honoured. I got a woohoo from the 'Nation's main man, Big Jimbo Steely-Balls himself. Yay!

James, you changed my life. I gave up trying to express my gratitude to you long ago and settled for the ol' thank you, thank you and thank you, so, thank you, thank you and thank you, m-a-a-a-t-e!!! :D

Hope you're well, James.
Shooshie wrote:Hi Monkey Man!
Good to see you!
Great to know you're doing all right.

Shoosh
Monkey Man? You been hangin' with that damned Gorilla again, 'Meister? I recommend a clothes peg on the sniffer, just quietly. :wink:

Wonderful to see you're still (and no doubt will always be) the one and only, legendary ShooshMeister you always were, are, and always redundantly will be, brotha! I thought of you when I cut my hair, BTW. I said to myself, Shoosh ain't gonna like this. It was a bullet-sweatin' affair, after all, and it took 6 months to build the fortitude, if that's the word. You understand I'm sure.

In summary to everyone: I LOVE YOU ALL, and thank you, thank you for the incredibly warm welcome. Even if you didn't set out for it to be that way, that's how it's felt to me and I honestly cannot express how grateful I am. The emotional lift this has given me is downright dangerous! Careful, you might create (yeah, bit late for that really) a monster! Tell you one thing, this simian's not gonna be able to sleep for a couple of days.

Love to all, from the hither, thither and nether regions of my heart!

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
bdr

Post by bdr »

Great to hear from you Nicky...if you ever want a Melbourne MOTU hang, I'm up for it!
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.
billf

Post by billf »

monkey man wrote: Bass with the feet. Playing both at the same time doesn't seem to be a problem, but the concurrently bit's a killer. I'll get it eventualititty.
I see those opposable toes are good for something other than hanging upside down on branches! :D
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

It would be really useful to be able to twiddle knobs on pedals and amps while you're playing the bass.

Are you left footed, or right?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

billf wrote:
monkey man wrote: Bass with the feet. Playing both at the same time doesn't seem to be a problem, but the concurrently bit's a killer. I'll get it eventualititty.
I see those opposable toes are good for something other than hanging upside down on branches! :D
Yup. Handy for lotsa stuff, Billy, but we won't go there. :shock:
bayswater wrote:It would be really useful to be able to twiddle knobs on pedals and amps while you're playing the bass.

Are you left footed, or right?
Ambidetritus, Stoiv.
bdr wrote:Great to hear from you Nicky...if you ever want a Melbourne MOTU hang, I'm up for it!
Oh man, that'd be a-w-e-s-o-m-e, Brett! PM me if you like, bro'.

Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

Don't quit yer day job, monkey man.

billf

Post by billf »

monkey man wrote: Yup
It looks like you have the stage pose down too.

MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Ha ha ha.

Too funny, Babz and Billy. Brilliant. :lol:

Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

How do you make anything better?

Add monkeys!!!

I have to remember to boost the monkey in my next mix. :mrgreen:

Whoo-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo-aah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-oh-oh-oh-oweeeee-ee-ee-eee!!!!
billf

Post by billf »

The ultimate Monkey Mix is on the classic side 2 of Shabby Road

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

That's just wrong; the monkey should swap the guitar for a monkulele.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Babz wrote:How do you make anything better?
I believe the correct answer is bacon! :wink:
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Phil O wrote:
Babz wrote:How do you make anything better?
I believe the correct answer is bacon! :wink:
Phil gets the Gold Star of the day.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
kelldammit
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by kelldammit »

Lots of familiar faces here. It's so good to see the usual suspects still kicking around, and doing well!
The new windoze addition to the joint is nice, but clearly needs some breaking in. There's a conspicuous lack of flung poo over there.
:headbang:

kell
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
ASUS 2.5ghz i7 laptop, 32Gb RAM, win10 x64, RME Babyface, Akai MPK-61, Some Plugins, Guitars and Stuff, Lava Lamps.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Well, Kell, a fox doesn't smell its own hole, hence the geography of my flingin'.

I keep forgetting to check this forum (always using the "show active topics" link in the main index), so once again I've failed to respond where I might've done so otherwise.

Suffice it to say, you're all so funny. Phil, you nailed that one, bud. Babz, please let us know if your mixes start sounding better. Mark, your pooduct knowledge never ceases to amaze; I honestly believed nobody outside of Jungleville was aware of the monkulele. Billy, I see you're still spinnin' and on the ball monkey-wise, as is usual.

See you in the (non-WinDoze) forums. I love you all!