Office 365 – Is anyone using?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
billf
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Office 365 – Is anyone using?

Post by billf »

Shooshie wrote:
bayswater wrote:But the fact remains, there is no archive of all that I put into them. No bringing that back. I like Dropbox, now, but I'm not getting married to it. It's just a passing tool, as are all the other things in my Mac. But my work... it has to survive all those changes, and that's something I do feel concern about.

I have been a writer all my life, and I wrote countless essays, stories, and even correspondence in MS Word from the 1980s through the 1990s. At some point, all those files quit working. I was able to get most of that content out with a utility called Juice, but it's not a perfect way to do it. Formatting and random gibberish end up in there, and you have to go through it with a fine-toothed comb to remove it. I still have hundreds, if not thousands, of such files that never have been extracted. Probably never will. That's lost work. I've learned to keep things simple. Keep text files. Keep jpegs. Keep MIDI files. Audio files. At least things can be reconstructed if need be.
Sage advice Shooshie, and something we would all be wise to look at and plan for.

That's something that really is making me think more about open source alternatives where feasible. Adobe CC is the worst offender in this area with it's requirement that you keep signing up for subscriptions or else your app will stop working completely (not to mention the rapid upgrade process). What happens in five years when you find your Photoshop or AE CC 2020 version cannot open files you created on a CS version of the app? What happens if you lose you job or the next recession comes, and you have to cut costs? If it comes down to cancelling your electricity or cancelling your CC subscription, you know which one is going to go. Say bye-bye to the ability to access all your files during your down time.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

mikehalloran wrote: FileMaker Pro 11 works great in Yosemite even though not supported--I've had no issues whatsoever. Perhaps some reseller has unsold copies of that or FMP 12 at a good price.

I don't believe there are any real alternatives to FileMaker Pro. I'm still using templates that I developed in 1986. There is a "lite" version called Bento but I've never investigated it. I probably won't upgrade again till around September when the next version arrives.

FM.7 file format is still used in FMP 11. To use them in FMP 12 or later, they will be converted to fm.12 format, a one-step process. Interestingly, You can still open and convert older FM files by following instructions here (not an issue if everything is fm.7)

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10571
Thanks!

A quick Google search revealed that it's either not available or that they are still pretty "proud" of their software! Pricing was similar to the newest version (except for the upgrade path, for which I'm not eligible, or academic).

I'll keep looking.

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

This guy is offering FileMaker Pro 12 for $150 download only.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FileMaker-Pro-1 ... 3a9fc0a2e7

I haven't done anything with it in so long that I will stay with 11 as long as it still works. My wife uses it for time billing and other tasks -- heck, we have our Christmas card list on it.

I understand that current versions have great, new features. Not interested; I just want it to work.

Same with suggested alternatives. None will import FileMaker except as text. No way do I want to start over.

I bought my Mac+ in 1986 after watching a demo of the original FileMaker. I could see that I could run a business on it. When I think of the hours I spent building that database to get it right... but I did and still use parts of it little changed.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Thanks. I'll take a look.

Me, too, on building the original DB. I think it goes back to 1990. I've added a field or two and some text, but that's the only things that have really changed from the original invoicing concept.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

brhanks
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by brhanks »

Another reason you don't need to adopt Office 365, have you guys tried using Visio 365? :deadhorse: Wow, terrible. If you have Linux you can use Dia or Lucidchart can work as visio for mac. Any diagramming SaaS solution is going to be better than cloud-based Microsoft products.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I have been a writer all my life, and I wrote countless essays, stories, and even correspondence in MS Word from the 1980s through the 1990s. At some point, all those files quit working. I was able to get most of that content out with a utility called Juice, but it's not a perfect way to do it. Formatting and random gibberish end up in there, and you have to go through it with a fine-toothed comb to remove it. I still have hundreds, if not thousands, of such files that never have been extracted. Probably never will. That's lost work. I've learned to keep things simple. Keep text files. Keep jpegs. Keep MIDI files. Audio files. At least things can be reconstructed if need be.
I went with a hardware solution i. e. a G4 running OS 9.2 and 10.4.11. I can still open MusicShop, Rhapsody, old Encore, MacWrite, MacPaint, ClarisWorks, Claris Draw, AppleWorks and Word 5.1. I can even open my DMCS files in Opcode MusicShop if I must.

Macintosh Garden is an idiot's delight for us long, long, longtime Mac users.
http://macintoshgarden.org/

I didn't see any way to keep the old stuff without going through exactly what you describe. Sometimes, I have to open old files in OS 9, copy to an app that works in OS 9/10.4, reboot in OS X and reopen the app before I can convert it to a file that opens on my iMac... but I can. AppleWorks is one of those translator applications as is Encore 4.5.5 / 5.05.

I had been meaning to do this for years but it was the need to open a Claris Draw file that had original artwork for a CD remaster that finally pushed me into rescuing a G4 from the eWaste bin and get it working. BTW, I found enough parts (RAM and decent drives) to get a second G4 up and running.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I've thought about doing that for years, but have never done it, except for special cases where someone needed for me to rescue some obscure file for them. (or for myself) I've got plenty of old Macs sitting in a warehouse. Thanks for the link! I may do this soon. My problem really is finding space for another Mac. My space is very limited, currently.

Actually, I have a G4 Titanium Powerbook which I use for certain old things. It will still boot into Classic MacOS. I just tend to forget about it, even though there is one application that I use it for quite often.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Shooshie wrote:I've thought about doing that for years, but have never done it, except for special cases where someone needed for me to rescue some obscure file for them. (or for myself) I've got plenty of old Macs sitting in a warehouse. Thanks for the link! I may do this soon. My problem really is finding space for another Mac. My space is very limited, currently.

Actually, I have a G4 Titanium Powerbook which I use for certain old things. It will still boot into Classic MacOS. I just tend to forget about it, even though there is one application that I use it for quite often.

Shoosh
Yea, it took me remembering that one file to spur me into action. I found Macintosh Garden looking for a way to translate Claris Draw.

Classic doesn't always do it as I found out but I don't have your old files so I can't say what is best.

As for space, I found a place under my desk and use a VGA cable hooked up to my iMac's second monitor. When the iMac is asleep, I can use the G4 in either OS. It has its own mouse and keyboard that I store on top of the CPU. I'm certain there are other, better ways to do it but a) I'd have to research them and b) this works.

I took a 1.0 DP G4 from the recycle pile, waded through a bunch of ATA drives and RAM till I found a couple drives and enough memory to get it up and running. TTP caused me to reject a lot of both, BTW. When done, my wife asked what I wanted to do with a 733 Digital Audio G4 she found in the garage – I saw that I had two small drives and some older RAM so I got that up and running as well (as soon as I find someone to give it to, it's gone).

People give me old Macs hoping I can find a use for them. I have fixed up and donated at least a hundred Macs and PCs to local school districts over the last 15 years.

Nowadays, even G4s are too old for the schools so they normally go to an electronics recycling program that benefits Homestead High, my daughters' old high school (Jobs' and Woz' alma mater as well). If that one shut down, there are others benefitting someone as well as guys leaving flyers stating the day they'll pick up anything we leave on the driveway.