Camel Audio is closing shop! ;-( .......Alchemy is reborn!

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Camel Audio is closing shop! ;-( .......Alchemy is rebo

Post by Michael Canavan »

mikehalloran wrote:Looking through this, it appears that I would need a commission large enough to get me to quit my day job so I could make the time to learn this powerful tool. Learning curve appears to be rather steep.

Am I wrong? Could a mere synth dillitante like I learn to do interesting things quickly?
Most of the basics in Alchemy are pretty quick to learn, and tweaking a preset to better match what you want to use it for is easy, most patches map 8 common parameters to a mod grid for quick access.

I own the plug in, and it's slightly sad to see it reduced to Logic/Mainstage only, but it's not that hard to pipe audio into DP from MainStage.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
billf

Post by billf »

nk_e wrote:I read somewhere that Mainstage supports retire. Does anyone know if that is true?
Did you mean Rewire? If so, yes it does.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Michael Canavan wrote: I own the plug in, and it's slightly sad to see it reduced to Logic/Mainstage only, but it's not that hard to pipe audio into DP from MainStage.

Michael,
How would you pipe audio into DP from Mainstage? I presume most people will recommend Soundflower,I've never used Soundflower so I'm curious if SF is the best software for this or are there any better apps or methods to do this.
Thanks,
KG
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

kgdrum wrote:
Michael Canavan wrote: I own the plug in, and it's slightly sad to see it reduced to Logic/Mainstage only, but it's not that hard to pipe audio into DP from MainStage.
I presume most people will recommend Soundflower,I've never used Soundflower so I'm curious if SF is the best software for this or are there any better apps or methods to do this.
Actually, I've had better luck with Jack than Soundflower. Also, those with a MOTU FW interface can always use the File> Mix 1 Return includes Computer Output function in CueMix, which, for me, is the simplest solution.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

kgdrum wrote:

Michael,
How would you pipe audio into DP from Mainstage? I presume most people will recommend Soundflower,I've never used Soundflower so I'm curious if SF is the best software for this or are there any better apps or methods to do this.
Thanks,
KG
The most recent version of soundflower works fine. There is a 64 channel version as well as 2 and 16 channel versions that just appear in the audio device setup dialogs like any other core audio device. Unlike Jack, SF requires no fussing around with a server setup and startup.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

billf wrote:
nk_e wrote:I read somewhere that Mainstage supports retire. Does anyone know if that is true?
Only as a Master though, so no go with DP.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Michael Canavan wrote:
billf wrote:
Only as a Master though, so no go with DP.
:banghead:

*sigh*

thanks.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:
kgdrum wrote:

Michael,
Thanks,
KG
The most recent version of soundflower works fine. There is a 64 channel version as well as 2 and 16 channel versions that just appear in the audio device setup dialogs like any other core audio device. Unlike Jack, SF requires no fussing around with a server setup and startup.
I used to hate Soundflower. Version 1.6.6b of Soundflower changed that for me.
https://rogueamoeba.com/freebies/soundflower/

Although the documentation lists 2 and 16 channels, what shows up in my System Preferences/Sound panel are choices for 2 and 64 channels only. Works well for me in Yosemite.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

The Googler is not helping me out-I can't get the pitch correction to do anything. Anyone else experiencing this?
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

In case anyone needs help in setting up mainstage and DP with soundflower, here is a quick (10 minute) walk through. Note that this video use ProTools for the example, but the principles are the same.

http://youtu.be/1OV9Ydy9DNQ

Cheers.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I wrote an extensive in-progress series of problem-and-solution posts at the Keyboard Corner when this update first came out. It would be very time-consuming to collate it here, but I'd like at least to reassure people that the new version (V2) -- despite initial appearances when it first loads -- is a huge upgrade from the last non-Logic version (V1.5) and has a much warmer synth engine (like Cameleon 5000).

I haven't done A/B tracking yet (I'd need to first export MIDI from DP to Logic) but some spot checks that I did indicated that even old patches -- without first tweaking to take advantage of the enhanced sound engine -- are more detailed, reactive, higher fidelity, and warmer now.

This also means the old Cameleon 5000 patches -- which didn't port so well to Alchemy 1.5 -- can probably now finally be made closer to how they originally sounded (I spent 100 hours on this in Alchemy 1.5 and wrote a detailed report to Camel Audio about specifics in the Alchemy engine that made it NOT a replacement for Cameleon 5000).

If anyone is having Alchemy-specific problems vs. off-board stuff such as MainStage, PM me as I won't have time to detail this thread anytime soon. I am pretty much off the grid at this point, for reasons I can't go into in a public forum.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

A pretty good set of video tutorials:

http://play.macprovideo.com/logic-pro-x ... ored/intro
daniel.sneed

Re: Camel Audio is closing shop! ;-(

Post by daniel.sneed »

fdco wrote:[...]Here is how to use Logic Pro X instruments in Digital Performer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWhCvmXSgKI
It's in French though but you should be able to follow just watching the video
Thanks very much for posting, fdco. I had never used Soundflower, nor Logic, before. It saved me from days of struggle.
No hassle with french language here, cause... I'm French!

Once again, this forum is definitely the place to be!
Kudos to all of you and to James for running this great board.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

As music theivery continues, and until a SUCCESSFUL new music paradigm settles in, we are all going to see the weakest links in music fall by the wayside into obscurity or oblivion.

The weakest companies, the musicians who aren’t quite clever enough to shift their work into an area that still pays, all the cracks and weak points in the “musical building” we call the music industry, will flake off the main body of music. Fair or not!

Those who persist and succeed not necessarily the best, but sometimes the luckiest or, the quickest to adapt. But the building will be shaken to it’s core for sure.

Let’s hope that the core that is left after everything shakes out is the best of the best, cleverest of the clever.....quickest on one’s toes of the quick! And let us hope that means QUALITY music.

Adapt or die.....such is evolution and life, and we are in the midst of it all. We are not the 1st group to have evolutions' or DE evolutions' shadow fall upon us, nor will we be the last.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

toodamnhip wrote:...or DE evolutions' shadow fall upon us...
"Are we not men?"
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!