Camel Audio is closing shop! ;-( .......Alchemy is reborn!

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
kgdrum
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Camel Audio is closing shop! ;-(

Post by kgdrum »

mcarroll49 wrote:Anyone know how DP9 works with Camel Audio Alchemy and their plugs Space and Phat? I have DP9 but couldn't bear losing Alchemy.
Alchemy works well in DP9.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
billf

Alchemy has Returned

Post by billf »

It's in the latest Logic Pro X and MainStage that came out today. I've no idea if the old Camel sound sets will work, but FWIW it does mention it has "a robust set of sampler features."

So there you go if you have Logic and/or MainStage.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/logic-p ... 8309?mt=12
What's New in Version 10.2
• Introducing Alchemy - the ultimate sample manipulation synthesizer

- Next generation synthesizer plug-in with multiple sound generators including; additive, spectral, formant, granular, sampler, and virtual analog
- Over 3,000 presets for all types of electronic music including electronic dance, hip hop, rock, and sound for picture
- Integrated keyword preset browser for finding the right sounds quickly
- Performance controls like the Transform Pad make it easy to explore and reshape sounds
- Combine up to four synth modules to create complex multi-layered sounds
- Virtual analog oscillators produce authentic recreations of iconic synth sounds
- Wide selection of modeled analog and special effect filters for producing sounds with vintage character and tonal complexity
- Create animated, dynamic instruments using over 100 modulation sources that include flexible LFOs, AHDSR and MSEG envelopes, and step sequencers
- Manipulate and combine samples in new ways using a collection of morphing and resynthesis tools
- Import EXS24 instruments or create your own using a robust set of sampler features
- Apply independent arpeggiators to each of the 4 sound sources to transform simple chords into elaborate performances
- Integrated effects rack with reverb, modulation, delay, compression, and a range of distortion effects

• New tabbed Transform Pad and X/Y Pad Smart Controls for Alchemy instruments
• Share directly to Apple Music Connect*
• Adds support for Force Touch trackpad
• Create custom track icons with your own image files
• 1,000 new Apple Loops from a variety of popular instruments and genres including EDM, Hip Hop, Indie, Disco, Funk, and Blues
• Expanded MIDI clock options improve sync compatibility with external MIDI devices
• Multiple additional enhancement and stability improvements
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Interesting news ;-)
I could be off base with this but Alchemy 2 was supposed to be close to completion so I'm curious to see how this differs from 1.55 and I suspect this is Alchemy 2.
The info says sound content is 14g so it might actually come with the sound sets included.

Is there a relatively easy way to use Mainstage access Alchemy and go into ------> DP ?

I doubt it will ever happen but it would be great if Apple also sold Alchemy as a stand alone VI. What an amazing VI to include in both Logic and Mainstage,a truly brilliant marketing move.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
billf

Post by billf »

kgdrum wrote:Interesting news ;-)
I could be off base with this but Alchemy 2 was supposed to be close to completion so I'm curious to see how this differs from 1.55 and I suspect this is Alchemy 2.
The info says sound content is 14g so it might actually come with the sound sets included.

Is there a relatively easy way to use Mainstage access Alchemy and go into ------> DP ?

I doubt it will ever happen but it would be great if Apple also sold Alchemy as a stand alone VI. What an amazing VI to include in both Logic and Mainstage,a truly brilliant marketing move.
It's an upgrade to Alchemy according to Apple. The full list of Alchemy features is here. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205047
The version of the software synthesizer Alchemy introduced in Logic Pro X 10.2 and MainStage 3.2 is a significant update to the Alchemy 1.5 version previously distributed by Camel Audio. The following is a list of the primary changes.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
billf

Post by billf »

kgdrum wrote: Is there a relatively easy way to use Mainstage access Alchemy and go into ------> DP ?
I'm not sure on that, maybe using IAC would work.
cuttime

Re: Camel Audio is closing shop! ;-( .......Alchemy is rebo

Post by cuttime »

14gs of samples? Surely some of those are the EXS24 imports. And all of this has to sit on your system drive? Dowloading to find out...
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Yep, all new samples to sit on the system drive. Will be downloading for a while...
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Looking forward to updates on any new functionality, maybe it will be worth picking up MainStage for this...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dp 8.07 - 2011 21.5" iMac 2.5 i5, 32GB Ram - OS X 10.10.5
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Behringer ADA8200, DigiDesign ElevenRack
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

billf wrote:
kgdrum wrote: Is there a relatively easy way to use Mainstage access Alchemy and go into ------> DP ?
I'm not sure on that, maybe using IAC would work.
Some time ago I posted details on slaving all of logic to DP. Requires a bit of environment fiddling to get multiple MIDI channels going.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I finally got the beast downloaded. Initial impressions are very good. The included documentation is cursory at best. I don't see any revised Logic/Mainstage Instrument pdfs anywhere on the web. As far as I can tell, one can import samples, but I don't see any way to load the old Camel files or libraries. This one is going to take a lot of futzing around.
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

saw this on Gearslutz : "Change section 3 of the Browse view from Genre to Sound Library. Then at the very bottom of the same popup menu in section 3 select Legacy Content"

From what I've read in various threads Alchemy 2 will set paths for all Alchemy related sound sets even 3rd party like Stockhausen/PatchPool and it will rename Alchemy to Alchemy 1.

I'm really curious how easily I can figure out how to use Mainstage and get A2 piped into DP,in 1 thread a user suggested simply getting a 2nd i/o (with MIDI) run Mainstage off of that & feed the spdif out to spdif into the primary i/o.
So I'm trying to figure out if I'd be able to use 2 i/o's without problems on the Mac and whether there'd be any clocking issues. I use a RME FF800 as the primary i/o,FF clock is the Master, I'm leaning towards a USB2 based i/o as the FF uses the FW bus and it would need to have MIDI & some kind of digital i/o either spdif or adat.
I'm considering the Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 or something like it which has the features I'd need and is inexpensive.
Alchemy is one of my favorite VI's and Alchemy 2 looks like a really interesting update, much to think about............
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Thanks for this. I think I found most of my other Alchemy presets. :woohoo:
fdco

Post by fdco »

kgdrum wrote:Interesting news ;-)

Here is how to use Logic Pro X instruments in Digital Performer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWhCvmXSgKI

It's in French though but you should be able to follow just watching the video
Mac Book Pro M1 32gb -2TB,
Apogee Symphony Thunderbridge,
DP11, MTPAV, Linnstrument, Chapman Stick
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

I read somewhere that Mainstage supports rewire. Does anyone know if that is true?
Last edited by nk_e on Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Looking through this, it appears that I would need a commission large enough to get me to quit my day job so I could make the time to learn this powerful tool. Learning curve appears to be rather steep.

Am I wrong? Could a mere synth dillitante like I learn to do interesting things quickly?

Nice to know it's a no charge upgrade to my copy of Logic, though... MainStage subscribers ought to be pleased that Apple didn't wait for a paid upgrade.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro