Keyboard Maestro Question

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
frankf
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Keyboard Maestro Question

Post by frankf »

That's quite a hump!

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
frankf

Post by frankf »

bayswater wrote: Do you/can you use KM to move change which MIDI track in the MIDI Editor has the little pencil icon? Can you use it to change the controller shown in the lower panel of the MIDI Editor?
I don't use the MIDI Editor much so I can't answer. The problem with clicking on a track mini menu in the SE is that the width of that panel, the track size, even the selected tracks are adjustable and non fixed relative to an active window corner that you can't tell any macro program where to click the mouse with any reliability. Maybe with Window sets and Groups you can get something to work. I can't think of how MOTU could implement this without a command.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

That's where QK can usually do the job, because it allows you to choose the corner most likely to remain relatively in position to the click needed for the job, and it could be the corner of a window or of the monitor. Seems like there are other references, too. . It isn't foolproof, but I can use it for most odd clicks.

Still hoping that Smartly updates it. I still use QK every day, dozens of times each day.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Yeah, if QK was working even marginally on my new machine I'd stick with it but for some reason is doesn't. The 8 core is still pretty good but a little spotty at times w-QK. Now that I've got KM somewhat sussed out I can get back to work and forget about this stuff for a while.

Thanks to everybody who contributed and suggested KM.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
ironchef_marc

Post by ironchef_marc »

I use KM in conjunction with Touch OSC.
Took a while to set up KM but got it working just fine ( I was new to macros). I use it mainly for transpose, various velocity, quantize, CC1,CC7, CC11 manipulation, access folders

There is also Actions on iPad (http://getactionsapp.com/)
That's very cool and easy to setup. It can be used on it's own sending any combo of control, shift, option, command and any key or function button. Not as flexible as Touch OSC (as far as creating the surface and won't send MIDI note) but faster to set up and works very well. Actions will soon become HoloBase "The world's first personal control system" as can be read on their website.
New Rig |MAC Studio | OS12.6 | 64GB RAM | Storage | miniStack STX 18TB, (14TB HDD, 4TB SSD) | Crucial X8 4TB SSD |
Softwares | DP 11.22 | VEPRO7 | Audio Interface | M4 |
--
old rig | MAC Pro 2 X 2.26 GHz, 8-Core | 10.11.6 | 32 GB RAM | DP9.52 | 2408mk3 | MTP AV
frankf

Post by frankf »

Shooshie wrote:That's where QK can usually do the job, because it allows you to choose the corner most likely to remain relatively in position to the click needed for the job, and it could be the corner of a window or of the monitor. Seems like there are other references, too. . It isn't foolproof, but I can use it for most odd clicks.

Still hoping that Smartly updates it. I still use QK every day, dozens of times each day.

Shooshie
KM can do the same relative positioning you describe. The SE track mini menu for the selected track is not permanently anchored to any of the window or screen positions you mention so no macro app can locate it AFAIK. KM is deep so maybe there is a way via AppleScript or other to get at it.
Frank Ferrucci
MIDI Life Crisis

Consolidated window in full screen assures absolute placement for some stuff.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
frankf

Post by frankf »

I just realized that some of the SE track mini menu items are available via the track's contextual menu. Mouse must be over the track, not the mini-menu for the track. Track can be selected or not. I just quickly set up a KM menu to change track size using the CM (right-click). Much, much easier than hovering the mouse over the tiny mini menu. Using DP's Contextual menus opens a lot more macro possibilities, whether using KM, QK or others. If anyone want these, I can post them.
Frank Ferrucci
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I'd be very interested in seeing whatever KM macros you're willing to post to get a quicker insight into how it works. The one you mentioned is interesting: I use CMD-Arrow to expand the track height, but half the time it pushes the track I'm working off the screen.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
frankf

Post by frankf »

Can I upload a file to the forum? Or do I need to link to external location ala Dropbox?

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

frankf wrote:Can I upload a file to the forum? Or do I need to link to external location ala Dropbox?

Frank Ferrucci
Probably dropbox or something like it. I don't think James has any forum storage set up. (for good reason, probably)

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
frankf

Post by frankf »

Thanks, Dropbox it will be then

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
MIDI Life Crisis

I should add that KM is still working like a champ now that I understand the mindset of the programmer. That is very encouraging, indeed.

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
frankf

Post by frankf »

Here's a link to a set of Set Track Size KM macros:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2a7g94ezkr02w ... acros?dl=0
They are all assigned to Ctrl-Shift-s which will pop up a menu of all the sizes. Pick the correct size by pressing the first (heighted) letter, e.g. l=large. Because both medium and mini sizes start with "m", pressing "m' will invoke a submenu where you then choose "e" for medium and "i" for mini. Very fast. You can also press a number key associated with the order of the macros in the list. I never do this.
Notes:
-cursor must be over the track material you wish to resize. Material in the track can be selected or not
-If you wish to change the Hot key trigger to something else, you must change the Hot Key trigger for all 7 macros.
-If you never use one of the seven sizes, disable it in the KM Editor and it won't show in the menu. You can always enable it at any time

I hope these help. I'll leave the link active for a few days.
Frank Ferrucci
MIDI Life Crisis

Just piling on here: KM has become transparent now, as it should be. It seems a bit snappier than QK was, even when it was at it's height functionally. It's all about understanding the concepts.

Except for the wonky way one has to record the mouse movements, it's pretty straightforward and actually has a few tricks QK didn't, like keyboard triggering a macro while the dashboard is active. (I know, not a lot of people use the dashboard. I use it a lot.)

So I will have to eat my words: KM is really great program with a strange approach to how humans think. Once you get past that, it's more than capable and exceeds QK in some way. AND... it's still supported!

Man, those Ks go down hard, even if you chew them for a while. :mumble:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS