Transitioning to a Mac Pro Trash Can (one perspective)

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: It's done. :)

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Trying a USB 3 dock now. Hope it freakin' stays connected. The CalDigit 800 FW stuff never misbehaved before so I'm thinking it has something to do with the TB to FW 800 cable or the enclosure itself. The USB 3 dock seems to be going quite fast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

it shouldn't give you grief but, if it does, open Console to see if it is hanging on an obsolete file.

Migration Assistant is different than Restore From Backup or another volume.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

The USB3 dock did the trick. All my authorizations are now redone (only a handful needed attention) and the machine is back up exactly as before. Well, almost. Quickeys is a little wonky and unreliable. May be time to ditch it for that other app?

To answer your earlier question more fully Mike, the machine is a 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 with a AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB and 32GB of RAM. I suspect the bugaboo will be hard drives on the FW buss. I'm really used to the internals but eventually they'll all be SSDs and I'll be farming (I think) from the MP 8 core. Maybe not. I still need to play with buffer sizes, etc.

But other than that techie stuff, the machine is truly amazingly fast. Practically a no wait state for many things. I'm gonna get spoiled fast! :dance:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Quickeys is a little wonky and unreliable. May be time to ditch it for that other app?
Wow. 27 years of QK, most likely coming to an end now. I wish that someone else would buy it and get it running again. I haven't tried "that other app," but it's hard to imagine anything being put together as nicely as QK.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I suspect the bugaboo will be hard drives on the FW buss...
Oh yea, that'll get old in a hurry.

Spinners on the usb 3 or TB buss are limited by the platter speed. This is a bit faster than they are on the old MP 3G internal buss. It's about 5-8x faster than FW800, however, depending on the actual performance of the drive.

Since you now have a usb 3 dock, put the drive you will access the most in it for now. Replacing it with an SSD will increase the speed.

Yes, you will get spoiled quickly. The process has begun.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

And oddly enough, the Google.com site STILL won't load. Ha ha ha! That elfin' crazy. San Rafael gig coming Jan 17-18. 18th should be good and I get to use my own piano.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I suspect the bugaboo will be hard drives on the FW buss.
The R4 is plenty snappy for me, it has never proven itself to be a bottle neck.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
frankf

Post by frankf »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:May be time to ditch it for that other app?
Haha. That "other app" is Keyboard Maestro and I've been using it for years successfully with DP and Mac Os through Mavericks. I've not upgraded to Y but compatibility reports are good. Developer updates and improves constantly.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:... and I get to use my own piano.
Be sure you know your movers, Vladimir!

:shock:

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

It fits in my Fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

Hopefully that last report on the transition. I know a few of you are thinking about it. It's a bit of a financial leap when compared to previous purchases. The peripheral thing is still a work in progress, but it's mainly wanting more HD space for projects and how to setup TimeMachine in the new configuration. With two external FW 800 drives connected and a USB3 dock that functions well, I ended up with one more drive than I had before. The only SSD is the internal in the MP. Ten second boot from the chime. Network is way faster. Oddly, on my old machine and on this one as well, google.com is nearly dead. Very slow to load if it loads at all. More often I get a server not found! Not so on the phone or my wife's machine. It's not a Little Snitch thing blocking it. It just does not like Google. Bing is the workaround.

Quickeys was not working well. Slagging along and missing commands but only sometimes. It ends up that Xtra Finder (which I use) needed an update and now QK is working just fine again. :woohoo:

In the HD dept., the USB3 dock ($80 at Fry's) holds two 2.5 or 3.5 disks (or some combination thereof) and is super fast. (Cirago one touch cloning thing).

Track 16 does NOT like the USB connection but it's fine with the TB to FW800 cable. Completely non-functioning via USB.

Otherwise it's back to all systems normal. I'm really glad I never ditched the external USB DVD drive (Lightscribe from Lacie). Campus 100 now off the system as is the Focusrite 24 DSP Pro. The last remaining FW400 devices I had. But then there's the 8 core to deal with so I can use 'em there.

Authorizations weren't too bad. Best done outside of DP and not as the VI is running. Yeah, I talking to you, Korg! Word and FCXpress needed licenses as did CS5 from Adobe and Finale.

Feels very "clean" and easy to deal with the actual machine. Not like that big cheese grater that comes home Tuesday. I'll keep it as an emergency backup for a while. Maybe try farming it although I doubt I'll even need that kind of speed.

BTW, my audio buffer sizes in DP jumped to 4096. I guess that's a good thing... :unicorn: and I still got a shiaaatload of wires to deal with... and that's the easy part!

:band:

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Transitioning to a Mac Pro Trash Can (one perspective)

Here's twist... iTunes DEOS NOT like to go into the visualizer and it consistently crashes iTunes. Hmmm... I suspect that TB to DVI via a $30 cable (and two monitors) may be to blame, but I just don't know. Report sent to Apple. I'll run a movie and hope it's not going to be a problem systemwide...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

When you say it doesn't like Google, what browser? Safari is still buggier than hell and Firefox still has security holes--it just changed its default to Yahoo which is giving some people grief.

Google docs works best on Chrome, even though it's still 32bit.

Did you install both the 32bit and 64bit Java Run Times that Yosemite requires?

The 32bit Run Time (JavaForOSX2014-001.dmg)

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572

The 64it Run Time (jre-8u25-macosx-x64.dmg)

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... 33155.html
MIDI Life Crisis

Thanks. I'll run those for sure. I just assume they were in the OS already. Duh! Also, the graphics system crashed three times now. Once in iTunes with visualize and twice playing a DVD. The player is a Lacie via USB3. The reseller (Melrose Mac) said it could be a bad graphics card and to remedy it would mean swapping out the RAM into another machine, then copying my HD data to the new machine. Seems kind of extreme but the card doesn't come out of the Mac Pro so when it goes, the MP is essentially dead. I was also told just swapping out my HD is not an easy option. Huh? Say what?! I'm gonna be mighty pissed at Apple if either fails shortly after Applecare expires. Mighty mad... In the mean time, I'll keep using this machine until my old one returns and see if permission repairs help as well as continuing to tweak the system for errant software I may have installed.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dosuna11

Post by dosuna11 »

When you figure out a cabling combination that is soft on the eyes please post as I have been consumed with cable madness :boohoo: for way too long. :surrender:
iMac 2.7Ghz quadcore i5 16 gig RAM DP 7.24 OS 10.6.8, iMac G5 2.1GHz 2.5 gig Ram DP 5.13 OS 10.4.11 MOTU 828 MK2, East West Platinum Plus, Miroslav Philharmonic, Komplete 5, Kontakt 2 Garritan Big Band, Mr Sax T, The Trumpet, DrumCore, Trilogy and Trillian, Ivory, MachFive, Ethno Instrument, Reason 4, SampleTank 2 Sampletron, Samplemoog, Melodyne Editor, Nomad plugins, Vintage Warmer, Ozone 4, Amplitube Jimi, Xgear and AmpegSVX.
http:www.davidosuna.com