Still in recovery.... [RESOLVED]

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
guitron45
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Still in recovery.... [RESOLVED]

Post by guitron45 »

....from the shock and horror of trying to get my DP4 something sensibilities realigned with DP8.

DP8 doesn't seem to care if my 1224 paleointerfaceand I need to see output to Main Out 12. I can get audio thru DP to anywhere; but on output choices I do not want or need.

So that's my first question, What happened to Main Out 12? I need it or some sort of work around to get audio to where my interface needs it. I had level light activity on any of the outs I chose in the menu but patching from those to my hardware mixer yielded no audio. Not even a hum.

I have not excluded the idea that I'm missing something important, it would'nt be the first time. That's what I'm hoping for. I'd like to get back to recording.

As far as DP 8 goes I wish I hadn't spent all the money to up date DP and pci cards and UAD2. The interface is so crowded that even with perscription reading glases with a computer focal length I cannot read the labels any more. All this so some exec gets a few more days in his timeshare on Aruba. Thanks MOTU.

If you couldn't make good recordings on DP2.7 you still won't be able to on this version. I realize I can dumb down my monitor at the expense of screen real estate.... maybe not a bad idea now that I think about it, the less I see of something for `every single person that might possibly ever buy DP' the better.

Longing for my G5 and DP 4. I know it's tempting but `love it or leave it is under the buss'and only applies when the IT is flawless. Which actually, is never.

Ron
MacPro Nehalem quad core, 2.66gHz, 8gb DDR1066 ram, OS 10.85, DP 8.05 1224/MTPAV, UAD 2 card, Kontakt 3/B4 II, CAD VX2 tube mic, 2 Avalon 737SP, Tascam M2516 8 buss recording mixer, Lexicon PCM91, Eastman 910, Eastman El Rey2 Fender Blues Deluxe, Handbuilt 30 watt Fender Princeton kit w/Weber Cermic 12", 64 Jazz bass I got new. and a 30hp orange diesel tractor!! 4wd 2 speed axel, named kioti.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Still in recovery....

Post by James Steele »

Looking sort of like a general rant sort of thing. Doesn't belong in this forum but better suited to the OT forum. Moved.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I am having a little difficulty understanding the OP. Both the setup and the situation aren't clear.

If you want help with something, you might need to slow down, start at the beginning, and maybe proof-read what you wrote to see if some kind stranger can understand it.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

guitron45 wrote:....from the shock and horror of trying to get my DP4 something sensibilities realigned with DP8.

DP8 doesn't seem to care if my 1224 paleointerfaceand I need to see output to Main Out 12. I can get audio thru DP to anywhere; but on output choices I do not want or need.

So that's my first question, What happened to Main Out 12? I need it or some sort of work around to get audio to where my interface needs it. I had level light activity on any of the outs I chose in the menu but patching from those to my hardware mixer yielded no audio. Not even a hum.
There are MANY possible places to set something incorrectly, all of which will lead to your not hearing your audio. I don't think I could list them all if I tried. But here are some starters based on what you've written above.

First, are you familiar with the Audio Bundles window? Press SHIFT-U to open it. There is the matrix for your routing Inputs, Outputs, Busses, and Instruments.

Next, if your track names have changed in the 1224 Paleo-Interface itself, look for PCI Audio Setup among your applications. There, you can change the names of audio channels. For local changes in a project, just use the Bundles Window described above.

There's a new button in the Record-Enable vicinity. It's called Input Monitor. It enables you to hear the audio from a channel that is record-enabled. It looks like a little blue speaker.

If you are unsure of your routing, I suggest you sit down with the manual for a day and just refresh your memory while learning what's been added since you last upgraded. Then start at your hardware (microphones, synths, keyboards, etc.) and trace the input all the way to the output, going through every part of DP that you can see it passing through.

We set many things and forget them. For as long as you use the same machine and software, you may never even look at your settings again. When you do a radical upgrade (jumping many versions), suddenly those settings are gone, and you have to figure out where they live now. DP is an all-new Unicorn to someone who is stuck back at DP 2.7, or DP 4 or even DP5.

Trust that it's going to take a while to get fully up to speed the new design. Menus, preferences, and features are different. We have Consolidated Windows, which most people eventually realize is a better idea after they get over their initial resistance to change. We have Themes, which customize the look of the interface. There are MANY new preferences, and MANY changes in the old ones. We have the Comp Tool for assembling a single take out of many takes. (and it's amazing)

Don't give up or get discouraged. We all had to go through the place you're in, but for most of us it was spread out over more time. Jumping 4 versions is a brutal learning curve in the beginning, but it flattens out after while.

Good luck. Ask questions if you need more info.

Shooshe
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
guitron45

Post by guitron45 »

The PCI/Audio set up was one of those things I forgot. Main out 1 2 was unchecked. It used to be one of the first things I'd check if there were routing problems. Everything else could fall into place now. Thank you for taking the time to help. The rant as it was labeled was the result of my fourth attempt to try using DP. I've had it for six months or so. I just get mad every time I look it. So I learned a ton on new chords while I couldn't record so it was time well spent.

I never liked the term bundles, or chunks, to me they are non musical terms that sound like they came from non playing programers or a committee. I open that window sometimes and just shake my head and go back to practicing.

I have never looked up the term rant. I had assumed it meant something like someone who is mad saying things that weren't very well thought out or not true.

Thanks for your patience and the well thought out help. I'm headed back to your post to see what else I can get under my hat. Long my your fingers wiggle!

Ron
MacPro Nehalem quad core, 2.66gHz, 8gb DDR1066 ram, OS 10.85, DP 8.05 1224/MTPAV, UAD 2 card, Kontakt 3/B4 II, CAD VX2 tube mic, 2 Avalon 737SP, Tascam M2516 8 buss recording mixer, Lexicon PCM91, Eastman 910, Eastman El Rey2 Fender Blues Deluxe, Handbuilt 30 watt Fender Princeton kit w/Weber Cermic 12", 64 Jazz bass I got new. and a 30hp orange diesel tractor!! 4wd 2 speed axel, named kioti.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Okay... so it looks like DP8 isn't totally the culprit here. I'll mark this "RESOLVED"
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!