Interesting article on music business models

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Interesting artilcle on music business models

Post by David Polich »

I work inside the "upper echelon" of the music business, as a keyboard tech and programmer.
Unless you're somehow inside that little circle of successful artists and producers, and see firsthand how the whole ancillary support business that revolves around them (promoters, bookers, audio, lighting, managers, technical crews, transportation and shipping, etc.) works,
you will always be at the bottom looking up at something that you are imagining exists.

The thing that has always been true, and still is, is that only a small fraction of people ever
make a living at anything to do with music. Whatever your business model is, it will be a money-losing proposition from day one until somehow, somewhere along the line you garner a massive infusion of cash from investors. Record companies used to be the investors, they're pretty much gone from that game now.

Yes some artists still make millions and sell tons of downloads. But there is a giant promotion and marketing machine behind them to ensure that. Frankly, about the only way an unknown artists can cast themselves into the awareness of the investor-driven promotion and marketing machine is to win one of those singing contests on TV. Seriously, that is it these days.

Not to say one can't make a few bucks from downloads, videos, and shows. You can. Not a
six-figure income, but you can break even and clear a small profit if you're very careful, and
you work 24/7 to grow your "business".

Music will always need dreamers who make good music. A small percentage will be the new stars. That doesn't make it a worthless endeavor.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Interesting artilcle on music business models

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

There's another world outside all that. Music for live theater, performance art, dance, and a whole array of opportunities for relatively "traditional" composers and performers

That's not what Dave P. Is referring to (obviously) and not what any garage band would aspire to. It's a long hard road, but it has great rewards if you're into that sort of thing. I haven't really listened to or enjoyed 99% of pop music in many years. If it disappeared completely my world would mot be any less rich. Just sayin'
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

mikehalloran wrote:The article reminds me of the old joke-

"A bookseller loses a little money on every copy he sells. How does he stay in business?"

"Volume"

The problem is that too many believe it's a valid business model for music today. It's a joke! :banghead:
Didn't Lucy and Ethel try that model?
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I haven't really listened to or enjoyed 99% of pop music in many years. If it disappeared completely my world would mot be any less rich. Just sayin'
I certainly know that feeling.

I suppose that, since I'm part of the Big Machine supporting the last 91 years of copyrighted music, I should be more aware of music from the last 25 years. Can't get up the enthusiasm to feel guilty.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

mikehalloran wrote:The problem is that too many believe it's a valid business model for music today. It's a joke! :banghead:
Maybe, it depends on where it is you think you can/want to make money. As with my example of the gas station not charging for air, if you think you are going to make your money elsewhere, giving away your music/content can be a perfectly valid approach.

In my own case, I think I will make all my content freely available because:
- I don't ever think I will earn much from it anyway
- I would rather people have my work than not
- I make my living doing things other than my art (my choice)
- If I am going to make anything off my art, I think I would rather make it either from my installation work, or from what I think of as my 'person-person' artist/patron model.

I probably need to explain that last bit. I have long thought that my preferred way of sharing my work in return for $$$ would be to have a 1-1 relationship with those that want my work. So, in addition to freely available, downloadable 'generic' versions of my work, I plan on offering personalized versions of my video pieces, using a numbered edition model similar to the kind of approach a print-maker uses.

I plan on making my videos available in limited runs, with special versions (subtly) watermarked with edition numbers, just like when a print-maker releases/publishes a series, of up to say 100, and hand-numbers and signs each print sold. A person getting my work this way will get a version unique to them. As it stands now, my preferred way of doing this would be the name-a-price approach, where the purchaser decides how much it is worth to them to have a particular work.

Cue everyone telling me I'm nuts for wanting to do this.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

You're nuts.

Just kidding, I couldn't let that go by. It's like Roger Rabbit and Shave and a Haircut.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ds6w7SkHyw

But seriously, I don't know what to think about the current state of the music business. All I know is I'm finding it harder and harder to make a good living. I'm constantly searching for a new business model for myself. :? I recently got a great band job, and if it weren't for that extra income I'd be in trouble right now. I'm holding my own, but the future's so dim I gotta take off my shades.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

mikehalloran wrote:
I should be more aware of music from the last 25 years. Can't get up the enthusiasm to feel guilty.
Imagine the learning curve trying to catch up with "art music!" :rofl:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS