Searching for a High Quality Virtual B3

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Searching for a High Quality Virtual B3

Post by mikehalloran »

I have been thinking about getting 32 Lives for awhile. I see that I can get it bundled with VB3 (or another GSI instrument) for $125.
http://www.soundradix.com/buy

Tempting...
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
pacificm

Post by pacificm »

VB3 has an excellent reputation and the VB3/32 Lives combo is very tempting.

I don't mean to question at all the person who is suggesting that it works well in his DP 8.07. No disrespect intended. Nevertheless, I contacted MOTU Tech Support regarding this to see what they had to say before I submitted my credit card for downloads. MOTU Tech Support said they did not support this combo nor did they recommend it for 64 bit. They said that if I wanted to try it, it would be at my own risk. They also said they've had some reports of problems using 32 Lives with a plug-in, but it was not clear which plug-in was the problem and if 32 Lives was the problem or not. They said they had no intentions to do further testing with these products.

I've been down similar roads before and lost money with unsupported soft and hardware. I'm just being a little cautious at the moment. Any chance GSI will be upgrading VB3 to 64 bit? I still haven't given up considering this combo as an option. Has anyone else had any experience with this combo with DP 8.07?
1) iMac (2020, 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel i7) OS X 10.15.7, 72 GB RAM
2) iMac Quad Core (Late 2015, 4GHz Intel Core i7) OS X 10.15.7, 32 GB RAM,
3) Mac Pro (Late 2013, 6.5 GHz 6 Core Intel Xeon E5) OS X 10.15.7, 64 GB RAM

Software: DP 10.13, FCPX, VSL Chamber Strings, Vienna Suite, Ensemble Pro 5, MIR Pro | Ivory | Stylus RMX, Trillian, Omnisphere 2 | Samplemodeling Trumpet, Flutes & Saxes | EZ Drummer 2 | BFD3 | East West | MOTU UltraLite Mk3
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Any chance GSI will be upgrading VB3 to 64 bit?
Yes ... eventually.

VB3 version 1.4 recompiled to be x64 VST for Windows. There's no difference with the 32 bit version except that the support files (VB3.ini, VB3.lic, VB3.fxp) are now stored in the System User's path. This is to be intended as a temporary release until the next version is ready to be released to the public. Only the VST instrument version is available. The FX variant is not available in VST x64. Mac users please be patient, unfortunately programming on Mac requires more time.

In my case, I am looking at 32 Lives but for other reasons. Getting VB3 for $26 is the tempting part.

Lots of threads on 32 Lives and lots of users around here.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
pacificm

Post by pacificm »

Glad to hear that VB3 may go 64 bit - eventually. I would imagine that by now 64 bit is becoming the standard for DAW users and is hard to ignore. In the meantime, I've downloaded three Leslie simulators - AmpliTube 3, LX 122 Premium, and MVintageRotary - which are adding new life to my current B3s! Eventually, I'll add VB3 to the mix. Thanks to everyone in this thread for your help!
1) iMac (2020, 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel i7) OS X 10.15.7, 72 GB RAM
2) iMac Quad Core (Late 2015, 4GHz Intel Core i7) OS X 10.15.7, 32 GB RAM,
3) Mac Pro (Late 2013, 6.5 GHz 6 Core Intel Xeon E5) OS X 10.15.7, 64 GB RAM

Software: DP 10.13, FCPX, VSL Chamber Strings, Vienna Suite, Ensemble Pro 5, MIR Pro | Ivory | Stylus RMX, Trillian, Omnisphere 2 | Samplemodeling Trumpet, Flutes & Saxes | EZ Drummer 2 | BFD3 | East West | MOTU UltraLite Mk3
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'm still able to use B4 with 32 Lives and am quite happy with how well it works.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

James Steele wrote:I'm still able to use B4 with 32 Lives and am quite happy with how well it works.
Seems I spoke too soon. I can't say that there's any correlation, but after I installed the new Replika freebie delay and updated Service Center, I opened a project with my instance of B4II that was wrapped with 32 Lives and got a MAS error and B4 II was italicized in the plug-in slot. I tried re-examining the AU and it failed. Rewrapping it with 32 Lives. No go. I even started over with a fresh component file I had zipped just in case... rewrapped in 32 Lives... and THAT was no good.

Ugh... I'd hate to lose B4. I'm going to see if something fishy is going on and reset DP to launch in 32-bit mode and see if B4II fails then as well. Color me upset if I've lost this plug. :( It had been working just fine up till the Replika install. Not sure WHAT has happened. :(

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Seems I spoke too soon. I can't say that there's any correlation, but after I installed the new Replika freebie delay and updated Service Center, I opened a project with my instance of B4II that was wrapped with 32 Lives and got a MAS error and B4 II was italicized in the plug-in slot. I tried re-examining the AU and it failed. Rewrapping it with 32 Lives. No go. I even started over with a fresh component file I had zipped just in case... rewrapped in 32 Lives... and THAT was no good.
I got a similar error yesterday after installing the 32 Lives demo that I had downloaded a few months ago. It turned out to be v 1.03. I downloaded and installed 32 Lives 1.05 (still demo) and now everything works as it should.

B4 II is listed in the Compatibility chart:

http://www.soundradix.com/products/32-l ... patibility

Yea, I gotta get this–should have when it first came out. It will save a lot of time if/when I open old projects with mba and other old plugs. Actually, if the mba AU plugs didn't work with this, I wouldn't bother. Nice to see I can use Izotope Spectron and the freebie Vinyl plug again (fun little sound effects).

Since VB3 is not really necessary for me ... oh it's only $26 more, whom am I kidding?
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'm still trying to sort this out right now in the middle of the usual insanity going on this kind of year. I re-launched DP8 in 32-bit mode and B4II works just fine. I'm going to try to re-wrap it with 32 Lives, launch DP8 in 64-bit, and try again. I'm using the very latest update of Yosemite (is it 10.0.1?) so maybe some incompatibility that cropped up just with the 32 Lives / B4 II combo is at work here.

Oh... I hadn't done a "Get Info" on the DP8 app for a while and discovered I hadn't disabled "App Nap." Not sure it would make any difference, but others might want to check that.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Whew! That was close. I'd reinstalled the OS recently and I somehow it returned 32 Lives to the demo version... which shouldn't have affected anything anyway. But I got that sorted out. I then re-wrapped B4 II, launched DP8 in 64-bit and then enabled B4 II electing NOT to re-examine. DP gave me the warning it might fail. I then opened the project and B4 II was working in DP 8 with 32 Lives in 64-bit. Dodged a B3 bullet. :)

uncle dunc
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by uncle dunc »

As a workaround for not being able to use Vb3 in OS 10.6.8, I've been using the $5 Galileo organ on iPad, with the Griffin interface. It has a unique sound - B-3-ish, but a little dark, especially compared to the original version of B4 on a Windows laptop. The Galileo organ does have a nice leslie sim with variable speed and ramp times, and a preamp overdrive function, plus flangers and other effects. The MIDI learn function allows you to assign whatever controllers you want for whatever function. Sometimes I hear zipper noise on fast volume pedal moves, but for a background part ala Whiter Shade of Pale, it's great. Latency is considerably less than using a VI in DP.
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

Just noticed that they have MeldaProduction MVintageRotary on sale for $27 USD currently. Thinking about going for it...

http://www.meldaproduction.com/download ... tageRotary

Babz
billf

Post by billf »

FYI, there is also a B3 in MainStage and Logic.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

uncle dunc wrote:As a workaround for not being able to use Vb3 in OS 10.6.8, I've been using the $5 Galileo organ on iPad, with the Griffin interface. It has a unique sound - B-3-ish, but a little dark, especially compared to the original version of B4 on a Windows laptop. The Galileo organ does have a nice leslie sim with variable speed and ramp times, and a preamp overdrive function, plus flangers and other effects. The MIDI learn function allows you to assign whatever controllers you want for whatever function. Sometimes I hear zipper noise on fast volume pedal moves, but for a background part ala Whiter Shade of Pale, it's great. Latency is considerably less than using a VI in DP.

Agree - if you have an iPad it's worth checking out, as I posted in another thread.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

MVintageRotary is on sale again half price this week. I just bought it. I had an opportunity to test it out earlier this week and it kind of blew me away actually.

MeldaProduction stuff has always kind of bothered me for some reason. Seems like quantity rather than quality...the GUI's all look the same, etc and there are quite literally so many different effects and variations...its overwhelming to say the least and in theory, how can it really be top quality if they are just pumping out sheer quantity of FX?

Well what I can say is that MVintageRotary sounds awesome! I like it better then the leslie built into several organ sims I have. It is a realistic Leslie simulation? I have no idea, but its sounds great and its $27 this week. I tried out a few others... dunno, this one sounds great and that's a great price.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Oh man? You mean I have to spend money this week?