A few questions before purchasing

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Avishai
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: A few questions before purchasing

Post by Avishai »

CQrity wrote:Hey guys,

Im right on the edge to purchase DP8, however Ive got some questions, before I pull the trigger.

In fact I want to decide wether Cubase or DP would better fit my needs. Actually I was working with Cubase 5 Edu. Unfortunately there were missing some effects I wanted to use. Got Studio1v2 pro during a sale and was quite happy with it. Right now there are several things that are quite annoying and I made myself again to rethink my workflow.
Long story short, here come the questions:

1. why do I need the Tracks patch? I often see guys composing in the Tracks view. Why dont they work in the Sequenz view?

2.is there anything you like in Cubase that DP misses? As far as I researched its basically the Note Expression and Expression Map feature. DP however has some kind of bundling tracks (which I didnt get if Im honest) and chunks of course.

Thats all for now as Im quite in a hurry, but I will come back later to add some more questions.

Edit, moarrr questions:
3.generally I write themes first on the piano and then develope those themes with different chord progressions and variations. In S1 I then simply drag and drop the individual clips in the S1 browser, so my project doesnt end in a mess of different versions of themes. S1 saves the MIDI and the instrument patch, so I can prelisten those clips in the browser and arrange them by simply drag and drop them back in my project. How would that workflow be in DP?

4. Cubase feels really clunky sometimes. I tried to set up an expression map and as I hit save it needed like forever to do it. And I can only do it with a clean project. I tried this with a few tracks and Cubase instantly freezed. Any observations like that in DP?

Thanks for helping out!
My suggestion to you is simple.

You must invest yourself both financially and mentally in order to learn any program. Be consistent and stubborn and sure enough you'll see the fruits of your labor.
Shortcuts only works when you know it.