The [Green] Resize Buttons in OS X Windows

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

The [Green] Resize Buttons in OS X Windows

Post by Shooshie »

Is it just me, or has the green button at the top left of all OS X windows become kind of useless in the past few versions? Hit that button, and the window goes FULL SCREEN, alla way! Then you can't get it back where it was without hitting Escape. It used to sense the most likely size you might be going for, and 9 times out of 10 it would enlarge it to a useful size. I find it really useless in pretty much all my applications.

Fortunately, I have JiTouch for my Magic Trackpad, which has gestures for moving and resizing windows, or I'd be lost. But most people DON'T have that. What does everyone else do?

I'd say "wonder what they're smoking at Apple," but I think it's the other way around. If they were smoking pot, there's no way they'd miss that one! Not that I'm advocating doing anything illegal or immoral. Just that somebody at Apple needs to start paying attention to what they're doing, or in a few years we're going to be back in the Gil Amelio days, only without Steve to come rescue us.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
cuttime

Re: The [Green] Resize Buttons in OS X Windows

Post by cuttime »

<esc> works for you? Don't try holding down the <opt> or <comm> keys while clicking that button! You may find yourself in an alternate universe.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Yes, the green button is now for full screen (note the arrows). To get back to the old style green button (with a plus sign) hold down option. I wish there was a way to change that.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

cuttime wrote:<esc> works for you?
Escape is not working in some applications. I've found that if you move the cursor up past the top edge of the screen, the menu bar appears with those three buttons.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Option click it. It will fill the screen w/o going into OSX really full screen.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
leigh

Post by leigh »

Shooshie wrote:Just that somebody at Apple needs to start paying attention to what they're doing, or in a few years we're going to be back in the Gil Amelio days, only without Steve to come rescue us.
I think the days of "Insanely Great" are definitely over. It used to be easy to make a Genius Bar appointment. Now I need to go through a whole lot of triage questions. I understand why they might want to do that but I experience it as poorer, less-personal customer service. Steve was all about customer service.

**Leigh
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics
billf

Post by billf »

Shooshie wrote:Is it just me, or has the green button at the top left of all OS X windows become kind of useless in the past few versions? Hit that button, and the window goes FULL SCREEN, alla way! Then you can't get it back where it was without hitting Escape. It used to sense the most likely size you might be going for, and 9 times out of 10 it would enlarge it to a useful size. I find it really useless in pretty much all my applications.
What OS version are you using Shooshie? I'm on Mavericks and it works for me as it always has. I don't get full screen behavior.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

billf wrote:What OS version are you using Shooshie? I'm on Mavericks and it works for me as it always has. I don't get full screen behavior.
Yose Mite

I think 10.10 is when it started. I'm now on 10.10.1

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Phil O wrote:Yes, the green button is now for full screen (note the arrows). To get back to the old style green button (with a plus sign) hold down option. I wish there was a way to change that.

Phil
Oh! Great! I'm glad to know that. I thought I had tried all the keys, but I guess I didn't, or something. I just tried it, and it works! Thanks so much!

(and thank you, too, MIDI Life Crisis!)

Actually, this has been a very enlightening thread. Thanks to ALL! I feel like I can use that full screen thing now. (just not in DP, because I lose the Control Panel when switching Spaces)

This is great!
:koolaid:

Shooshie
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Works in the Finder too.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS