Brilliant video - cymatics, non-newtonian fluids, etc.

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
BKK-OZ
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Brilliant video - cymatics, non-newtonian fluids, etc.

Post by BKK-OZ »

I know that Babs started another thread about Cymatics (see that here), but I thought that this guy's video deserves a thread of its own.

His name is Nigel Stanford, check out his site here.

Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Phil O

Re: Brilliant video - cymatics, non-newtonian fluids, etc.

Post by Phil O »

That video is so cool! Thanks for the link.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Yeah, he really has put it all together.

It is recieving a lot of attention - many thousands of views.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

That is truly a cool video. I wonder if they could make a stage act from it, the way Blue Man Group did. BMG essentially has done many of the same kinds of things, but they have managed to incorporate them with stagecraft that an audience can appreciate. This video was made with video effects, so the actual experiments wouldn't look as cool in real life, but if they built them out with an audience in mind, it surely could be made super entertaining, with lighting effects providing much of the drama. What would they call themselves? The Science Guys? No. Not that. Cyemania? No. that doesn't work. Fluid Non-Newtons?

Well, it's cool to see all those things in one place.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Shooshie wrote:...This video was made with video effects, so the actual experiments wouldn't look as cool in real life...Shooshie
I think that the only thing that they did was some editing (it is all the one guy) and perhaps some basic post work, but the fx are all real. There is a 'making of', but I haven't had a chance to watch that. For live performance, all he would need would be either clones of himself, or some helpers, and some large HD screens so the audience could see what is going on.
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

BKK-OZ wrote:
Shooshie wrote:...This video was made with video effects, so the actual experiments wouldn't look as cool in real life...Shooshie
I think that the only thing that they did was some editing (it is all the one guy) and perhaps some basic post work, but the fx are all real. There is a 'making of', but I haven't had a chance to watch that. For live performance, all he would need would be either clones of himself, or some helpers, and some large HD screens so the audience could see what is going on.
Oh, I know the effects are real. But video is an art in itself. The subjects are framed, the color and light are manipulated, they used the rolling dolly and other video techniques to keep it interesting. If you watched them do that on stage in exactly the same way that they played for the video, it would not have much effect for a large audience. Things have to be larger than life on stage. Attention has to be drawn to the particular thing you want them to notice at any given time. Audio has to be clear and all-encompassing. Stagecraft is an ancient and mature art, but it must be employed for it to work! I'm just trying to envision concepts for making that into a stage show that never lags, keeps peoples eyes moving and their ears engaged. Lights... Music... Dancing Fire & Water! It would help if the different experiments were reworked to make them tell stories, visually. Instead of a tube in front of a speaker, there should be "strobe fountains" all over the stage that appear to dance, wiggle, and operate on a large scale. Fire could be woven in between them to dance through the spaces the water is creating. All this is done with music and sound amplification, of course. Giant speakers would need to be built to create giant pools of dancing water, or perhaps go the easy way and just put cameras on them, projected on giant screens.

See what I'm saying?

I spent most of my career as a music director for stage shows, btw, when I wasn't performing in concert myself. As the music director, I was also the technology director. I was the guy who hooked up MIDI to lights, effects, and video. I was always imagining shows like this, and how I'd create them. Cirque de Soleil was one of my favorite companies, and I used to see all their shows when I lived in Las Vegas. I knew their music directors and audio guys, as well as many of the performers. We would hang out at the Petrossian Lounge in the Bellagio Hotel after the "O" Show would perform each night.

I love the video and what the guys have done. I just want to see them spend about $1 million to put together a show fit for Las Vegas or other venues. Preferably a sit-down show. I wouldn't want to tour with that stuff.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

BRILLIANT!

And, man, did that mix sound good on my system. Wow!
DP10.13
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Shooshie wrote:See what I'm saying?
Shooshie
I see and hear you brother.
I reckon I know a Texan that they could hire to get the job done just right...
:wink: :wink:
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

That was way cool!
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.