Peterson iStroboSoft

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Peterson iStroboSoft

Post by Shooshie »

Most people who took band or choir in high school, or who plays in a symphony or other regular group will remember the old StroboConn tuners. They were made by Peterson, who has been making them for something like 70 years. They were heavy metal boxes about the size of a large toaster with a door on the front that opened to reveal a panel with a lighted window, inside which was a spinning wheel with designs on it. You played a note and your vibrations set a strobe in motion via a box full of anode/cathode vacuum tubes.

I hadn't seen a Peterson strobe tuner in a decade when I bought my first iPad, but when I went looking for tuners at the Apple Store, there it was. Of course I bought it. The digital version was significantly improved with auto-pitch recognition. You didn't have to set the pitch you were about to play, and it told you exactly what your pitch is, to the hundredth of a cent. I added it to every iPhone and iPad since then, too. But the one I was using was from a few years back.

Recently I looked for any upgrades they might have. What I found was astounding! It's really a whole new app. The strobe tuner is still a part of it, but they've added so much more. There is also a Spectrogram, as well as a Spectrum Line (FFT display), Spectrum Bar, and an Oscilloscope. The latter shows you in real time exactly what your waveform looks like.

The options are in abundance. Swipe the screen one way or another to produce options for the tools or for the strobe. It even includes about a dozen temperaments for which you can set the root note, a transposition 'capo,' and much more. You just have to spend time with it to find out what all it can do.

So, why bother? Everyone has their favorite tuner. Besides, to get the full-blown iStroboSoft, you have to spend about $9, plus another $60 or so for in-app purchases. Why do that when your favorite tuner has a needle and costs about $2.00? The answer is going to sound like "I like it, and you should too," but I assure you it goes way deeper than that. The iStroboSoft is simply the best tuner in the world, and it's also an incredible tool for hard practice.

If you've ever played an orchestral instrument or sung professionally, you know that complete control over your sound is imperative. How do you get that? Long tones. Every performer I know will tell you that their control came from doing long tones. That's a matter of playing whole notes or longer, focusing on sound quality and breath control, then changing to the next note without losing pitch or timbre, until you've encompassed your entire range, learning to do new colors, timbres, vibrato and especially learning to control pitch to a few cents accuracy.

The tools in iStrobosoft are perfect for this kind of work, in addition to just leaving it running while you play or sing songs. The spectrum analyzer and FFT meters (Spectrum Bar or Line) will show you even the slightest fluctuations in your timbre as you move through notes. The Oscilloscope shows you the harmonic content in the form of your actual wave form. You will learn to manipulate that wave form and keep it steady as you go up or down the scale.

But I could talk all night and you wouldn't realize what great tools these are until you actually try them. They don't have a 64 bit version for the Mac yet, but it's "coming soon." Meanwhile, it's available where it can do the most good: iPads and iPhones, as well as Android devices. It can sit on your music stand or even many feet away where you an just see it out of the corner of your eye. You don't have to focus on it to know where your pitch stands. It's clear as a bell, even if you're not looking right at it.

I point you to their website, but you can just go to the App store in iOS and download the basic strobe. Then use in-app purchases to get the full tools package. Believe me, they're worth every penny. Better than a teacher!

Peterson Strobe Tuners

Some advice: their website seems confusing and out-of-date, but apparently the version for the iPad is natively designed for the iPad, but it lacks the extra tools like the Oscilloscope and FFT meters. The current version in the app store with all the tools is simply called "iStroboSoft." (without the "HD" suffix) The other one, iStroboSoft HD, is the one for iPad, and you cannot buy the in-app purchase of extra tools.

I have both, so it doesn't matter to me, but I always use the one with the extra tools, namely plain old "iStroboSoft." The iPad version is arguably better designed, but the absence of all those tools is too much sacrifice for a little design. Get the [iStroboSoft/b] first. It looks and runs great on the iPad. Later you can get the iStroboSoft HD if your really want to.

iStroboSoft - for iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch (allows purchase of the full range of tools)
iStroboSoft HD - iPad only (no extra in-app purchase of tools)

Why they did it that way doesn't make sense to me. They should have put all the tools on the iPad HD version. But that's how they did it. I can take a few quirks in the world's greatest tuner!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Peterson iStroboSoft

Post by James Steele »

Ugh. I bought the older iPad version and that one is now end of the line. :( Honestly, I'm tempted to shell out $10 just to get the full screen view which would have been nice for those of us who already bought the HD version. In fact, from what Peterson put on the App Store description of the HD version, it will not be updated and they will focus on the universal version. So I wouldn't recommend anybody buy the HD version now.

I've been using my iPad as a tuner in my guitar rig and running TC's iOS version of Polytune on it. In some ways I prefer it. I have my rig set up to mute when I call up a "Tuning" preset and then route audio to the iPad running Polytune. Great thing about it is you can slowly strum all six strings of a guitar and it will show you which string(s) are out and whether they're sharp or flat. It's useful if you need to quickly find an offending string without having to check them one at a time. You can play just one note into Polytune of course and when you do it changes to a traditional needle type display.

Still... I agree that the Peterson app gives better results as you can tune much more precisely with it. I really wish that there was an iOS capability that would allow me to switch apps via a Bluetooth foot switch so i could switch between them without having to press the home button. Also an app that would switch to a particular app upon sensing audio input would be useful to me as well.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Shooshie

Re: Peterson iStroboSoft

Post by Shooshie »

James Steele wrote:Ugh. I bought the older iPad version and that one is now end of the line. :( Honestly, I'm tempted to shell out $10 just to get the full screen view which would have been nice for those of us who already bought the HD version. In fact, from what Peterson put on the App Store description of the HD version, it will not be updated and they will focus on the universal version. So I wouldn't recommend anybody buy the HD version now.

I've been using my iPad as a tuner in my guitar rig and running TC's iOS version of Polytune on it. In some ways I prefer it. I have my rig set up to mute when I call up a "Tuning" preset and then route audio to the iPad running Polytune. Great thing about it is you can slowly strum all six strings of a guitar and it will show you which string(s) are out and whether they're sharp or flat. It's useful if you need to quickly find an offending string without having to check them one at a time. You can play just one note into Polytune of course and when you do it changes to a traditional needle type display.

Still... I agree that the Peterson app gives better results as you can tune much more precisely with it. I really wish that there was an iOS capability that would allow me to switch apps via a Bluetooth foot switch so i could switch between them without having to press the home button. Also an app that would switch to a particular app upon sensing audio input would be useful to me as well.
So iStroboSoft HD is the end of the line for that version? I guess that's why I had to buy it all over again when I wanted to get the new one with all the tools. Sounds like Peterson is an old, old hardware company that hasn't learned the software game yet. Nevertheless, they've hired good programmers for this. Both apps have been reliable. But the new one is definitely the one to use.

I have a lot of tuners with needle-meters, btw, and I like a couple of them quite a lot. What I've found, however, is that there is nothing that can take the place of that spinning wheel when I'm playing and not looking at the tuner. From the corner of my eye I can tell what direction the wheel is spinning, or if it's stopped. I never have to look directly at it. That alone is priceless, and it's just not possible on any of my other tuners.

The NEW iStroboSoft has what they call "sweeteners." You can set it for various kinds of guitars, for example, and it will change the tuning specifically for those strings, making it as perfect as it can get. They also have such sweeteners for many other instruments. Those, combined with temperaments, are priceless, too. Why temperaments in this day and age? Because non-keyboard ensembles tend to use non-equal temperaments. We don't really teach people that, because it's one of those things that requires you to reach a certain level of awareness and perception before it would even make sense. You know when someone has reached that stage when they are using a tuner, but still playing each note a little "off," and not correcting it. Peterson has made a tuner for those people, too, though one might argue that those people don't really need a tuner.

I need a tuner for practicing long tones. It's not just for telling me whether I'm "in tune" (a complicated word that implies many answers to the advanced musician), but for telling me various things about the internal structure of my sound — its overtone structure, and therefore its timbre and body. That helps me to get consistent timbres throughout a scale.

This tuner is the only one that really is useful for that, though we can use spectrum analyzer plugins; they just aren't as convenient.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The Peterson web site is a blast from the past. I used a chromatic 5000 years ago in a shop and had no idea it was still being made.

I'll have to check out he app.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I'm a big fan. I'm on the beta test team for Petersen and so have been using the software tuners on both iDevices and my Macs since V.1. Not only does the product rock, the company does, too.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Gravity Jim wrote:I'm a big fan. I'm on the beta test team for Petersen and so have been using the software tuners on both iDevices and my Macs since V.1. Not only does the product rock, the company does, too.
Any chance they'll add a stretch module to the in-app purchase options?
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Well I just tried to buy it and discovered it requires iOS 7. I'm on 6.1. :(

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

James Steele wrote:Well I just tried to buy it and discovered it requires iOS 7. I'm on 6.1. :(
I get that all the time withy 1st generation iPad. ☹ :cry:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The HD version showed compatability with iOS 5.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

James Steele wrote:Well I just tried to buy it and discovered it requires iOS 7. I'm on 6.1. :(
Omigosh! You're using an iOS device that's over 1 year old? How can you stand to look in the mirror??? To regain our respect, you're going to need to go buy the entire suite of current devices, including reserving an  Watch. You may need a backpack to carry it all around, but you could use an Apple Store sack and keep them all in their original boxes for extra points and street cred.

:wink:
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:The HD version showed compatability with iOS 5.
Yep. I already own the HD version and run it on my iPad 2. The HD version is being... oh... what's the techy word programmers use? Depricated? Actually I don't think that applies to apps, but APIs instead, but basically the HD is no longer being developed and the universal app will be. I really just wanted it for the full screen mode which is much easier to see from a distance.

Had a rehearsal today though and in many ways still find TC's Polytune app more useful in a live setting. In studio where you have the time to really tune carefully, iStroboSoft all the way.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Shooshie wrote:
Omigosh! You're using an iOS device that's over 1 year old? How can you stand to look in the mirror??? To regain our respect, you're going to need to go buy the entire suite of current devices, including reserving an  Watch. You may need a backpack to carry it all around, but you could use an Apple Store sack and keep them all in their original boxes for extra points and street cred.

:wink:
Hahaha! I know, right? :) Well, when it works, don't mess with it!! I should have followed my advice on stayed on Mountain Lion too. Everything just seemed to work on that OS. Back to iOS, I have an iPhone 4 and didn't want it to get bogged down by iOS 7 and later. The hardware just really can't keep up and we're all about "snappy" at the MN! :) I also have an iPad 1 which I think is stuck on flavor of iOS 5 and my iPad 2 which is also on iOS 6.1. All my devices are jailbroken which gives me a few very useful apps I like and don't wish to give up.

Recently, my credit union pretty much hosed me because they pushed out an update to their mobile banking app for "iOS 8 compatibility" that broke the mobile deposit feature of any device running iOS 6.x or earlier. There was no warning. No notice. Their app developer obviously didn't test it and it broke this. Ask me how thrilled I was at the prospect of having to drive checks to the bank to deposit them in person. Mobile deposit is a feature that once you've gotten a taste of it, you NEVER want to have to go into a branch office to make deposits again.

To cut to the case, my credit union basically said "Oh... we're sorry. You have to update to iOS 7." That was their solution. Well that wasn't feasible for me. It was their mistake... they broke it... and they let customers continue to download it and lose the ability for mobile deposit. Fortunately, I had backed up via USB and iTunes and had a version of the app from a year ago (before they broke it on 10/15/14) and restored it and I have mobile deposit back. But every time I go to the App Store update I have to slow myself down and be VERY careful not to update my credit union's app.

I've gone round and round with them on this and even posted to their Facebook page about it. I know darn well they could flag their new app as requiring iOS 7 and then if someone on iOS 6 or earlier attempts to download, Apple now has that dialog that asks "... would you like to download the last compatible version?" Honestly, I think the developer they hired screwed up and was trying to weasel out of fixing it. It seemed I was having a dialog with someone in corporate and having to educate them about remedies the developer *could* implement. They'd ask their developer about something, the developer would tell them there's no fix, they'd tell me, then I'd explain to them there was a fix, etc.

Okay... that was way longer than I intended. I do wish there were an easy way for users to GO BACKWARD in iOS app versions. It makes upgrading iOS apps very scary. Had I read the review before installing the update, I'd have seen the posts of other unhappy users and skipped the update.

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

James Steele wrote:I do wish there were an easy way for users to GO BACKWARD in iOS app versions. It makes upgrading iOS apps very scary. Had I read the review before installing the update, I'd have seen the posts of other unhappy users and skipped the update.
Someday there's going to be a big story about this, but it will be in the history books, not the newspapers (if there are even any of those left) It'll be about the tech scam that sort of took the world hostage to this spiraling upgrade ladder that just never ends. Oh, we've all benefited from it in ways that seem important at the time, but I was as happy working on my 128K Mac in 1984, or a Mac 2ci in 1992 as I am on my current Mac Pro, because at all times the real thrill was about discovery, then mastery of something that was creative. If I could turn back the clock, I'm afraid I might just keep turning and turning and turning... who knows? Maybe till I'm a little kid again, and try to do a better job of it all.

But if I could go back and keep what I know, I'd slow down all this upgrading and just enjoy what I was doing, maybe upgrading every 6 or 10 years, instead of every 3 or 5. The lure of more power, more capabilities, more everything, is seductive but ultimately disappointing. You can never "get there," because tomorrow "there" has moved back another mile. It's like Yossarian in Catch 22. At some point you're willing to make a deal with the devil just to get your life back.

But the clock doesn't turn back, and while we're sitting here trying to maintain the status quo, along comes a credit union or a bank or a school or a job, and they change something that sooner or later leaves you no choice but to go on and upgrade once more time, inching on up that spiral ladder.

[stepping off soapbox]

And you know what? I still get a kick out of this stuff. There's just no denying that. And if it's still giving me kicks, then I'm going to keep on riding it. Just... maybe not trying to keep up with Apple. They're on fire, moving too fast for me. But I'll enjoy it back here in the wake of the mother ship as it plows on up that spiral ladder into whatever lies in our future.

Shooshie
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

For decades, I upgraded hardware when MacInTax, now Turbotax, no longer ran on my Mac.

My last three upgrades were because Apple upgraded the OS (iPhone, iPad and G5) so that other things I needed to do no longer worked.

iOS is worse than Apple OS. 2009 Macs run Yosemite and it's no slower than SL -- in fact, adding an SSD has put off my upgrade for at least a year.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Mike, when you say "stretch," for what instrument? The in-app purchases include a "Keyboard" set that includes stretch tunings for grand, upright, and Rhodes piano. 20 bucks for the set.

Agreed on iOS. I sold my iPad Mini as a result, and I won't replace it.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]