The Sound of a Comet...

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
cuttime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: The Sound of a Comet...

Post by cuttime »

The sound is like boiling or sublimation, kind of like an Easy Bake Oven:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgVbbKwe7ks
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

I think its related to the music of the spheres, or (shameless self-promotion) The Earth's Hum.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

cuttime wrote:The sound is like boiling or sublimation, kind of like an Easy Bake Oven:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgVbbKwe7ks
Dry ice is just frozen carbon dioxide, which is most likely what's boiling out of that comet. There may be a correlation between those sounds.

However, re-reading the articles about it, I find that it is the magnetic field that's oscillating. Nobody knows why. Some speculate that it might indeed be related to molecules of CO2 leaving the comet. That's one of the mysteries we can look forward to being solved once everyone has their hands on the data. So hurry up, ESA, and let's get that data passed around!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

And it may just be flatulence on a cosmic scale. A message from the Melbrookian & Lepetomeinian peoples?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:And it may just be flatulence on a cosmic scale. A message from the Melbrookian & Lepetomeinian peoples?

Lepetomeinian? I haven't heard that in about a hundred years! Talk about a pro! I suspect he knew something about cometary offgassing.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

ESA? Look what we've degenerated to while waiting for your next photo. How about releasing them in packs of 10? Preferably more of the comet, less of the ESA people at their monitoring stations, hugging, and talking to the press.
MIDI Life Crisis

The whole thing stinks to high heaven!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

BKK-OZ wrote:According to NASA, the sounds were picked up by the 'Rosetta Plasma Consortium'.

I used to like that group, but only their early stuff.
And they won't boot in Yosemite.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Someone beat MLC to the finish line, and couldn't have done a worse job:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxRSgAG ... e=youtu.be
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

How can anyone copyright the sound of a comet?
If it's a government agency, copyright does not apply. If it is not, then the original sound recording can be copyrighted like anything else we record in the field.

I think this is pretty cool.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Oh it's PD. I'd mess with it if I didn't have paid gigs to mess with or if I was more scientifically inclined. I'm definitely a dilettante when it comes to science. I don't even have a bachelors degree- in science (or anything else). But i stay at a.... Oh, never mind!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

ps - all i did was playback at different octaves. The sound design work only used the smooth windy sound at :22 and that I did alter quite a bit. Fits so well into the existing cue and I get brownie points from the director for using real live comet sounds in the real live theatre. Can't wIt to hit that sound with IRCAM.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Shooshie wrote:ESA? Look what we've degenerated to while waiting for your next photo. How about releasing them in packs of 10? Preferably more of the comet, less of the ESA people at their monitoring stations, hugging, and talking to the press.
This article (http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014 ... ies-emerge) explains why they aren't releasing photos.

Apparently, the comet is not a comet, but something more sinister...
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
MIDI Life Crisis

Ok, we've officially hit bottom.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

To add depression to the mix, they've determined that the lander did indeed land on the comet... 3 times. It bounced a kilometer back away from it, and landed again, bounced, and finally landed under a cliff, dangling on its side. This underscores a few massive fails:
  • • the harpoons did not fire to secure it to the surface
    • the solar panels are shielded from the sun
    • the battery is going to die by Saturday
    • being on its side, unharpooned to the surface, it can't do many of its science experiments.
But if their goal was to land a box on a comet, they definitely succeeded in that! There is hope, but it's not guaranteed. They think they can bounce it to a new location. The hope is that it might be a better location. The reality is that it could be better or worse. Nobody really knows for sure, because... (drum roll please)
  • • THEY DON'T KNOW WHERE IT IS!
Shooshie