Salome, Dallas Opera

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Salome, Dallas Opera

Post by Shooshie »

Tonight (Wednesday, November 5, 2014), The Dallas Opera performed Richard Strauss's Salome, an opera I've only seen in videos, never live. Lise Lindstrom was Salome. It was a transformational experience. First of all, I've been going to operas for over 35 years. I mean, buying season tickets or making special trips just to hear an opera, and that sort of thing. I don't include anything I may have heard in school or otherwise ended up seeing a result of "education." As a performer/composer/arranger who speaks music, I "get" what composers do. Little gets by me, musically, and as a result, I enjoy operas immensely. I love any form of music in the hands of a master, but opera is the shakedown that separates contenders from masters. Expensive to produce, involving the cooperation and collaboration of dozens of people with very strong egos and opinions, weaker operas just don't survive in the repertory for long. The repertoire, then, becomes familiar, and each time you see an opera, you judge it differently. After several viewings, you focus more on the individual performances and how they coalesce with each other to form an over-arching whole. The sets, lighting, choreography, stage direction, singing, orchestra, and even the hall itself all play a role in the outcome. Remove any of the above, or allow a weak link in that chain, and the result will be diminished. Fortunately, there are so many strong personalities for every position that great opera (and I mean GREAT opera) can be experienced far from New York, Paris, and Vienna.

We Dallasites have always loved our opera company. The Dallas Opera has always been a higher grade than most "inland" companies. But for generations it was performed at Fair Park, the same grounds where you would find the State Fair of Texas every October. It is a pretty and historical hall, but it is fan-shaped and seats about 3500. Though that was the accepted form of concert halls for about 70 years, it's a bad design. Sound loses energy as it leaves the stage, because of the fan shape, and sight lines are such that only the middle sections can see the whole stage.

So, we built a new opera hall. Though this is its 6th season, it is the first year my wife and I have had season tickets at the new place. If you're an opera fan, you want good seats, and good seats are expensive. Our new opera hall, The Winspear, seats a more sensible 2200 in a traditional horseshoe layout, with brilliant acoustic design that makes our current seats, the center mezzanine, almost like being on stage.

The inspired new hall, with its indoor/outdoor design in which you hardly know when you've passed from one to the other. The inner hall looks like something you'd want to lick, a giant piece of cinnamon candy, or cherry cordials.

Mrs. Shooshie & me, front-row center mezzanine, looking over our sheer drop without a net! Opera is not for the faint of heart! (I photoshopped out the people sitting behind us whose pictures stood out in the bright light they were sitting in.)

Stock Dallas Opera photo (not Salome)

Ok, Back to Salome. There's an odd story of our good fortune in regard to this production of Salome. On Sunday my daughter went to see it. I asked her if she was blown away, and she said "no, it was good, but not exceptional. In fact, it was a little hard to watch." It turns out that the star, Deborah Voight, was distracting. The suspension of disbelief that is so essential to stage productions just wasn't possible, because Ms. Voight had a back injury, required a cane on stage, and had to be helped up by the "guards" when she would kneel or lie down on stage.

Bear in mind that Salome is supposed to be a teenage girl, just now a young woman, who is kitten-like in her curiosity, adolescent in her reactions to rejection, and completely focused on herself, the way many young ladies are at that age. She also is beautiful, ravishing, and so desirable that no man can resist her. She dances the "Dance of the Seven Veils" which so bewitches the king that he is willing to give her anything to dance it for him. She is tragic in that she has grown up in privilege, isolated from the world, and she knows nothing about the world except her own desires, one of which is not to be ogled at by all the men in the castle. Of course, she has learned that her looks get her anything she wants.

Lastly, and this is important, Salome ends up naked from the waist up at the end of this dance. Yes, that's right, the first topless striptease on the opera stage was (AFAIK) Strauss's Salome, which caused a scandal in December, 1905, especially when it came to the USA about a year later.

Now, Deborah Voight is a famous diva, a star among stars. She's also in her 50s, looks 10 years older than she is, and is... well... obese. We love her for her voice, but the dance of the seven veils has no singing. It's a dance. Now, picture a 55 year old obese woman limping around on stage with a cane as she removes one veil after another. She's not dancing, but walking from one place to another, kind of rocking her shoulders as she goes. Are you getting the picture?

My daughter found this extremely distracting and detrimental to her enjoyment of the opera. Still, it's Strauss, and Salome is one of the roles that Voight is famous for. Yes, even Deborah Voight was once young and sexy. But that was a long time ago. I'm fine with Voight as Brünnhilde, Turandot, and many other fine opera roles in which her size and age are not of great importance. But Salome? No. I'm not prepared to watch this very large diva disrobe on stage while limping around with cane. It's a STRIP tease, not a TRIP GEEZE.

So, a curious thing happened before the curtain opened, fulfilling a wish I'd had since my daughter told me about the performance on Sunday. I mean, I feel like I WILLED this to happen, so much was I focused on the hope that it would: A man walked out and announced that Ms. Voight sends her regrets; she is having problems due to a hip injury, and will not be able to perform. But they have flown in Lise Lindstrom, who is singing the same part with the Vienna Opera, and she is prepared to save the role. Lise Lindstrom is perfect for the part. She's in her late 30s, is a very nice size and build, and she has an amazing voice. Plus, she gets into her characters in a way similar to method-actors; she has nailed all the mannerisms of this complicated and tragic figure of an adolescent girl-cum-woman. You believe you are seeing Salome in the flesh.

Oh, and when she removes the last veil, even though it's just for an instant, you share in the king's lust for her gorgeous body, rather than searching for some way to suspend disbelief so that you can imagine the fat lady having some kind of sensual spell over men. With Lise Lindstrom it's just as it should be. She is beguiling with or without clothes. She's complex and enticing whether singing or dancing. You believe this young woman wants what she says she wants: the head of Jokanaan, a.k.a. John the Baptist. (Salome is a biblical story, for those who are uninitiated)

The opera starts out light, even funny. There are many chuckles and outright laughs in the first half. Then it takes a turn for the serious and sinister. Soon, you join King Herod in pleading with Salome to make another choice, not to do this to herself, much less to Jokannaan. The music and the drama pull you into the story, and you are distraught at what she has demanded. You feel for the king who is bound by witnesses to his oath to Salome, that he will give her ANYTHING she wants if she will just do that dance for him.

Then there is the case of Jokanaan, whose voice might well be the voice of the almighty himself. When he sings it is like thunder. It strikes fear into the debauched and devout alike.

Dallas mounted a performance not to be forgotten, ever. It was like history in the making. When it ended, the audience leaped to their feet and it seemed the curtain calls would never end. Most of the applause went to the guy who played Jokanaan and especially to Lise Lindstrom, Salome's actress/singer. She had saved the role on short notice, and not only saved it but infused it with fire. Performances like this put an opera company on the map. Dallas is already known for its fine productions, but this... this is worldwide news.

Last week's production of Marriage of Figaro was equally amazing. It was spectacular! And now a spectacular Salome after fears that the whole run would be like that of last Sunday's matinee with Deborah Voight. I have to commend Ms. Voight for stepping aside, and for knowing that she must do so. She herself played a role in saving the performance for the rest of us by allowing Lise Lindstrom to come in and work her magic with the role. I'm just blown away. It seems that Dallas has entered the realm of giants, first with our new opera hall that is a story in its own right, and secondly with an opera company that rises to the heights of their new home. I'm thrilled and amazed to see our "new" opera company after many years of not attending. It has become a company worthy of our civic pride, a company that anyone could attend and lose themselves in the performance.

The acoustics deliver the voices and orchestra to every seat in the house. And did I mention that the orchestra is first-rate? I know about a quarter of the players, having gone to school with them, or having played with them in the Dallas Symphony or one of the other symphonies about town. They are first-rate players who were brought into world-class orchestral playing years ago by Anshel Brusilow, arguably one of the best conductors and concertmasters ever to take the stage.

I would do Salome a disservice if I did not mention the genius of Richard Strauss. A latter-day Mozart, he was the bad-boy of modern romanticism, and he knew exactly what he was doing, musically. His structures of symmetry, his over-the-top harmonic structure, his leitmotifs, not to mention his subject matter and perfect adaption of Oscar Wilde's play, Salome, into a 90 minute encapsulation (without intermission) of what would normally be a 5 hour opera, are all the work of an absolute genius.

What happened last night will be talked about for years in Dallas. The night that Lise Lindstrom saved the opera and Salome. But what will be even more widely dispersed is a growing reputation that Dallas has become a city capable of supporting a world-class opera company, capable of mounting productions that exceed expectations even of our video-tainted critics who compare it with commercially edited tapings for TV. And Dallas is willing to do what it promises when it comes to opera. I've noticed for over 30 years that Dallas opera fans take this stuff quite seriously.

And for my wife and I, another night to remember, and four more to go in the spring, including La Boheme! This season promises to be the best thousand bucks I ever spent, and a bargain at that!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Salome, Dallas Opera

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I've only heard the opera "Salome" in excerpts on video at an event where I was playing for the silent film version. But I was blown away by that so now you've inspired me to track down the video of the opera. It's a stunning score and the video was extremely well done. Thanks for the reminder.

The silent film version is not as effective and gets giggles for the abstract sets and costumes, especially the ping pong hat. But it remains s compelling story. If you're interested, here's a link to the complete film. I can't speak to the score as I've never heard it (i watch these in silence).

https://www.youtube.com/embed/C4lpvhzH4p8?autoplay=1
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Re: Salome, Dallas Opera

Post by mikehalloran »

As 32 year subscribers to San Francisco Opera, we share your enthusiasm. Salome is a favorite.

Salome topless at the end of the Seven Veils dance? They'd never stand for that around here. We get the full Monty.

Ms Voight is a local favorite but Salome? Yikes!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I've only heard the opera "Salome" in excerpts on video at an event where I was playing for the silent film version. But I was blown away by that so now you've inspired me to track down the video of the opera. It's a stunning score and the video was extremely well done. Thanks for the reminder.

The silent film version is not as effective and gets giggles for the abstract sets and costumes, especially the ping pong hat. But it remains s compelling story. If you're interested, here's a link to the complete film. I can't speak to the score as I've never heard it (i watch these in silence).

https://www.youtube.com/embed/C4lpvhzH4p8?autoplay=1
To be clear, this is a silent film inspired by both the play and the opera. It's really not like the opera at all. The soundtrack to the film is a score by some other composer. It doesn't resemble Strauss at all; not even a tiny little bit.

One might wonder why pick nits when they both tell the same story. One huge reason is Strauss's reduction of the play into a 90 minute version without intermission. It is designed musically, not verbally, and is always constructed with an eye toward form, symmetry, and musical elements that have no analog in the film. It's as if Strauss made a fine set of vases made of venetian glass, and the film maker came along and made a set of cooking pots of clay and called it the same name. In other words, Strauss is an artistic genius with profound influences on the arts in his own time and in ours. Telling the same story, more or less, has nothing to do with the elements of such genius.

If you want to see Strauss's Salome, just look it up on YouTube. I think you can find it, possibly all of it. The music is incredible. There's not a wasted second in the whole opera.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I didn't mean to imply it was the same score. Sorry if my post left with that impression. The score on the silent film is very 30's modern dance-ish and not at all in the style of Strauss' great score.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

mikehalloran wrote:As 32 year subscribers to San Francisco Opera, we share your enthusiasm. Salome is a favorite.

Salome topless at the end of the Seven Veils dance? They'd never stand for that around here. We get the full Monty.

Ms Voight is a local favorite but Salome? Yikes!
Back in the Fair Park days, I used to notice that a lot of our operas were partnered with San Francisco. I guess they shared sets, costumes, and maybe even direction, choreography, and certain cast members. I actually saw my first production of Marriage of Figaro in San Francisco in about 1982. Very well done!

I suspect we might have gotten the full Monty here if the production had been designed around Lise Lindstrom. She stepped in without rehearsal, I'm told, so they probably had to use the blocking set up for Ms. Voight. Still, she added her own steps and lots of dancing where Ms. Voight would have been standing in place. To get the top off was probably a bonus, since there's no way Voight was going to show anything outside a skin tight suit. Not that the nudity even matters; but it really did make the scene more believable.

You just wouldn't have believed the explosive ovation she received at the end. I think she was taken by surprise. She acted reluctant to take the curtain calls at first, and then was crying. The place roared.

Interestingly, Strauss doesn't allow you even a moment to applaud during the performance. You keep thinking there will be a place to show a little appreciation, but Strauss is already off in another direction, and you just have to wait. But it's a wait that's worth it!

Shoosh
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Interesting reviews:

Dallas Opera
  • November 3: Sunday Performance November 6, Wednesday Performance
    • Lise Lindstrom's performance as Salome
      Quote: "According to TDO and to several audience members, Ms. Lindstrom’s performance was a success and last night’s performance of Salome was met with an enthusiastic standing ovation."
When my daughter described what she saw on Sunday, I couldn't believe my ears. This was STRAUSS! How could it be boring? Answer? Voight's pacing was slow, because she couldn't get around as fast as the music demanded. Her character created conflict in the audience members' minds, as they could not suspend disbelief.

Lindstrom's pacing was quick and natural. She looked the part. She was believable. And she did the final veil topless, not in a huge body suit. She conveyed what was tragic and vulnerable about Salome, not just what was wicked. Adding to the mystique of this performance, her first rehearsal was at 6:00 p.m. for a 7:30 curtain. She was not an understudy and did not know the director's production. It was truly a last-minute thing.

Lesson for the wise: Opera isn't JUST about singing, and never was. It's a combination of all the arts, and if any of them comprises a weak link, the whole production suffers. The reviewer even thought the set sucked in Voight's performance. With Lindstrom, the set seemed great. You noticed the lights reflecting colors off it, enhancing whatever was being sung.

I know that none of you were there, and my musings and rants must be about as interesting as listening to someone complaining about their bad back, but I hope that I'm able to make a single, simple point: casting is everything. There may be many "right" performances and actors for the role, but getting it wrong is like a domino effect. The whole production just spins down and suffers.

Star power doesn't mean "right." Voight is undeniably one of the great opera stars of this generation. But she could not convincingly handle the part intended for someone 20 years her junior, and the error of that casting decision cascaded through the entire performance, causing opera buffs to head for the door.

Shooshie
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

G#
A-G natural
C# E C#

Salome is my favorite Strauss opera and easily in my top three favorites of all operas ever written.

My college German thesis was thrown at the whim of the students, and I chose to write my thesis on this opera's texts to compare it to the Oscar Wilde play. That was so much fun!!

My first viewing of this opera was at Covent Garden with Maria Ewing in the leading roll. I didn't even know it was playing until after I got there and happened to be walking by the opera house taking pics. It was my first trip to London-- on my 30th birthday. Tickets were $250. Heck-- you only turn 30 in London once, if you're lucky. Well, I turned 30 twice that week because I had to go see it again. I was broke, but happy.

Still recovering. Never got over it.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

We saw Maria Ewing sing the title role in 1993. Near the end, she did a spot-on Gloria Swanson / Norma Desmond "ready for my close-up" impression.

A number of people were wondering about that afterwards till I reminded them that, in Sunset Blvd., Norma Desmond thought she was playing Salome.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

mikehalloran wrote:We saw Maria Ewing sing the title role in 1993. Near the end, she did a spot-on Gloria Swanson / Norma Desmond "ready for my close-up" impression.

A number of people were wondering about that afterwards till I reminded them that, in Sunset Blvd., Norma Desmond thought she was playing Salome.
Omigosh... that must've been creepy! I mean... creepiER. What a great way to play that. Of course, then she gets offed by Herod, but it would just emphasize her complete lunacy.

Lise Lindstrom played her more as a victim of her circumstances. She was crazy, but she was the product of crazy people in a crazy upbringing where morals simply didn't exist. She knew she was crazy, based on having seen the purity of Jokanaan, but she didn't know HOW crazy she was. It was a moving interpretation, because you feel for Salome as the tragedy turns in on her in full force. You alternate between tearful empathy and complete revulsion. You are able to see what the other characters cannot: whatever Salome did was no less than the psyches of both parents tied in a bow and handed back to them.

I can imagine the papers that must have been written on the parallels between Salome and the collective psyche of Deutschland after Hitler. So, the question comes back to Strauss: was he able to see that terrible collective psyche forming in his country and to write Salome as a social commentary? Or was his brilliant writing of such shocking material a symptom of his bad-boy role in a country losing touch with morality and reality? Wilde's play was already there for him, but he condensed it expertly in such a way as to bring out all the psychological horror in just a handful of lines, while keeping it true to musical forms. That he so brilliantly illuminated the craziness and its roots, as well as the contrast with purity, associating decadence with wealth and purity with poverty in a sense of rejecting worldliness, could not have been accidental in any way. He trimmed the play down to its barest roots while emphasizing everything that needed to be said. So, we can be certain that he knew what he was doing and understood its relationship to his times. It makes him either a prescient genius or an empathic sociopath, as oxymoronic as that sounds. Or maybe he's just a great composer.

Fascinating.

Shooshie
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I can't answer that. Until I saw my first performance in college, I had no idea it was based on Wilde. After all, Handel and Massanet had their takes on the story, too.

I was relatively unfamiliar with Wilde until I read Salome in French class in high school. By college, I had read his complete works and was a major fan. Still am. It was a nice surprise to wander into a tea shop in Dublin (1988) and find out it was Oscar Wilde's birthplace. I wasn't looking for it, just wandering the city.

Have you ever seen the Massanet version? Much longer, far less intense. This with Domingo and Flemming is the only production we've seen in San Fran. Until I went looking for it just now, I had no idea it had been released as a commercial recording.
http://www.amazon.com/H%C3%A9rodiade-Op ... n+tableaux

I'm glad that my other half never reads these posts. I believe that I've found a nice stocking stuffer for Christmas.