iTunes version 12 birthing problems (esp. "lost" files)

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: iTunes version 12 birthing problems (esp. "lost" files)

Post by stubbsonic »

There are times when Apple (and probably lots of other manufacturers) will make some decisions that are based on weird psychological trends. "If we keep making things smaller, thinner, lighter, that will make them more appealing."

No matter if we remove functions & features, those functions & features were for a relatively small portion of users.

With iTunes and with hardware, there could always be two releases-- one being the most inviting, pretty and immediate-- and the other being the most flexible, powerful and efficient. Apple will always go with the former. And when they nuke features in the interests of ease of use, more seasoned users continue to get more cautious about updates.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Re: iTunes version 12 birthing problems (esp.

Post by bayswater »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Perfect car was built around Jan 1962 and released in the 1963 model year. It was called the Thunderbird. It also had great acoustics for music playback. :)
Shooshie wrote:
bayswater wrote:When was the perfect car built, or are we still waiting?
Mine was built sometime around March, 2013. After having a Prius V, that's all I want in a car. Unless they learn to make them run on air. Seriously, I know what you mean. I'd like it better if it knew who got in the car without being told, and automatically set everything to their preferences, which it learned without asking. :wink:

Shoosh
Why did I know you guys would come up with perfect cars? :rofl:

You're both wrong of course. It's the Miata (MX5 for the rest of the world). I have an original and it's still going.

As for Aliases: try SymLinker. It's a GUI for the Unix link command. It makes a 4K file (isn't that as small as it gets?) OS X reports the symbolic link as an alias, but it works even in cases where an alias won't.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Great tip on getting the old Info Window back:
http://www.tuaw.com/2014/11/03/how-to-s ... itunes-12/
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
BobK

Post by BobK »

cuttime wrote:Great tip on getting the old Info Window back:
http://www.tuaw.com/2014/11/03/how-to-s ... itunes-12/
Thanks, cuttime. I much prefer the old window.

It'd be great if someone came up with a hack (script, terminal command, etc) to make the old one the default.

What the heck? APPLE! :banghead:
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4