what happened to DP Control?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: what happened to DP Control?

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote:I'm happy with the BCF2000 using Yosemite and DP8. But I was curious about DP Control on my iPhone 4S with iOS 7.1. It sets up quickly and works very well, except if I make a mistake, like pressing record without arming a track. Then it gives an error message and quits. It will launch again right away, but something isn't right.
Right... it should give you an error message and not quit. I have same problem with my car. If I press the brake down when I come to a stop sign, but don't let out the clutch, the engine quits. :)

I'm kidding, of course, but it seems like the issue you describe isn't that big of a deal.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote:
bayswater wrote:I'm happy with the BCF2000 using Yosemite and DP8. But I was curious about DP Control on my iPhone 4S with iOS 7.1. It sets up quickly and works very well, except if I make a mistake, like pressing record without arming a track. Then it gives an error message and quits. It will launch again right away, but something isn't right.
Right... it should give you an error message and not quit. I have same problem with my car. If I press the brake down when I come to a stop sign, but don't let out the clutch, the engine quits. :)

I'm kidding, of course, but it seems like the issue you describe isn't that big of a deal.
My car does that too. PITA.

Not, not a big deal, but not exactly what you'd call world class. It didn't used to do that under iOS 6, DP7 and ML. So some sort of update needs to happen if the software is to be kept in place. I can see this may not be a big priority for MOTU. There are a number of perfectly usable alternatives out there.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

James Steele wrote:If I press the brake down when I come to a stop sign, but don't let out the clutch, the engine quits. :)
Uh-oh. I can't find the clutch on my Prius. Why do they do this to me? WHY? :boohoo:
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'd mention, just for the heck of it, the Frontier Tranzport is back in the running as a viable remote controller. It may not fit the bill for everyone, but every since the control bundle for DP was updated to work in 64-bit, this unit is viable again (just like AlphaTrack). I saw one on my local craiglist just sit there for weeks for $25 with no bites whatsoever. They can be had pretty cheap nowadays since many people assume they're "obsolete."
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

So, next I tried out DP Control on my 2nd Gen iPod Touch. After you dismiss the warning that DP Control is not designed to work with this iPod, and please don't do any reviews using this hardware, etc, it works just fine.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
jnunally

Post by jnunally »

James Steele wrote:
dave pine wrote:i'd pay $$$$ for a good rebuild or update even
Good point. If something is worth having, it's worth paying for. I've suggested through back channels that I'd be more than willing to pop $4.99 or $9.99 for an iPad native version of DP Control. A token amount for the update would be perfectly acceptable to me.
I paid for AC-7 Control, doesn't work for me with DP any longer.
I downloaded TouchOSC, it worked for a while until I updated iOS.
DP Control has issues, as noted in this thread.

I ran across a suggestion in another forum on TouchOSC, someone recommended using a VNC screen sharing app. I purchased Remoter. It works, works great, and I can see a whole bunch of other uses for it.
Last night I ran the bands in-ears via a Traveler. Then handed the iPad to the front of house engineer, he ran the show using the Traveler. I am amazed.
Remoter seems the best solution for me for running CueMix and DP from my iPad3.

Good luck,
Jim

DP V2.5 - V8.07