what happened to DP Control?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
dave pine
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: what happened to DP Control?

Post by dave pine »

i'd pay $$$$ for a good rebuild or update even
mac pro 2.26 octacore 24gigs of ram/ El Capitan10.11, dp 10, mackie dxb, 3-2408mk3, waves mercury 10, ozone 3&4&5678, sound toys, izotope rx, melodyne editor, uad 2, bluetubes, 22" polkadotted dildo, omnishpere 2, trigger 2 deluxe, addictive drums, komplete 9, e/w ql symphonic orq platinum, ql choirs, ql stormdrum 2, ql gypsy, ql ra, ql goliath, ql pianos, superior drummer 3, ez drummer 2, garritan bigband, amg kickass brass, ztar, wife, dogs, droped my protools rig at the city dump
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

My opinion is if you're going to be in the software/hardware business, keep your apps and drivers current and working. That will keep your customers happy and coming back and spreading the word.

My perspective is that old, outdated apps say the same about the company.
DP10.13
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Shooshie wrote:Really, folks, some perspective would be handy right about now. I know we all tend to get upset when our perfect universe is poked, prodded, rocked, crashed, or destroyed. There's justification in being upset, but don't let it cause unrealistic expectations.
Again, I don't think anyone is unduly upset. It is just a fact that MOTU should do some work on Control - it is long in the tooth.

I admit to getting a bit snarky and sarcastic when someone makes '...it is working for me, so you must be the problem...' sorts of posts that do nothing to advance the situation, but I for one am not 'upset'.
Shooshie wrote:...They have to come to a consensus that it's broken, which is sometimes hard to do when it's working for half the people...
Well, if you had read my post, you would know that MOTU have indeed recognised the problem - for well over a year now. If you search my previous posts on this topic, you will see that this is a long-running issue.

So, not only is there a recognized problem, MOTU itself has said, for a very long time, that it needs to do something about it. Couple that with the fact that Control is pretty function-limited when compared to tools available from Presonus, NI and others, I don' think it unreasonable to call for MOTU to do something.

Regarding its being 'free', I happily paid for V-Control Pro and would do so if MOTU wanted to charge for a working and function-rich DP Control, but at the moment, it is neither, hence the call for an update.

To paraphrase what Michael Corleone said, this isn't personal, it is strictly business.
MOTU must face.
Last edited by BKK-OZ on Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

BKK-OZ wrote:Regaarding its being 'free', I happily paid for V-Control Pro and would do so if MOTU wanted to charge for a working and function-rich DP Control, but at the moment, it is neither, hence the call for an update.
So what's missing from V-control?
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

jloeb wrote:
BKK-OZ wrote:Regaarding its being 'free', I happily paid for V-Control Pro and would do so if MOTU wanted to charge for a working and function-rich DP Control, but at the moment, it is neither, hence the call for an update.
So what's missing from V-control?
Nothing really - its handling (via its app windows) of VI's is a bit hard to work with, and it can be a bit finicky sometimes (which might be more about my banana fingers than V-Control), but on the whole, it is OK. Good enough, not great, but good. Check out Presonus for something better.

FYI here is my Techlink (names redacted out of courtesy):

- - - - - - - - - -
Added by XXX on 2013/11/08 17:00:01 US/Eastern
State change from 'Unread' to 'In progress'

Hi B,
Yes, iOS7 compatibility is still forth-coming. Thanks for the report!

Cheers,
XXXX
MOTU Tech Support
- - - - - - - - - -
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

dave pine wrote:i'd pay $$$$ for a good rebuild or update even
Good point. If something is worth having, it's worth paying for. I've suggested through back channels that I'd be more than willing to pop $4.99 or $9.99 for an iPad native version of DP Control. A token amount for the update would be perfectly acceptable to me.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Dan Worley wrote:My opinion is if you're going to be in the software/hardware business, keep your apps and drivers current and working. That will keep your customers happy and coming back and spreading the word.
Right. I'd be fine with them paying for it as I mentioned.

I think your perspective is not quite fair insofar as MOTU is concerned. What would you propose, short of posting a new update tomorrow? It works for some and not for others. Should they pull it down from the App Store to save face until a new one is up?

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

BKK-OZ wrote:FYI here is my Techlink (names redacted out of courtesy):

- - - - - - - - - -
Added by XXX on 2013/11/08 17:00:01 US/Eastern
State change from 'Unread' to 'In progress'

Hi B,
Yes, iOS7 compatibility is still forth-coming. Thanks for the report!

Cheers,
XXXX
MOTU Tech Support
- - - - - - - - - -
Good. We've called MOTU out and bludgeoned them with their own words. My vision for this board and an effective user community has been realized! Oh joy! :D Anyway, forgive the sarcasm. I think we get the point. I think we've entered the era where DP Control is now officially the new PDF Manual issue.

By the way, through all of this I hadn't noticed that this is not a troubleshooting issue and certainly not techniques, etc. This is a MOTU company policy issue and really belongs in the "theoretical discussion/OT" section and is thus moved. :)

BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

James Steele wrote:...Good. We've called MOTU out and bludgeoned them with their own words. My vision for this board and an effective user community has been realized! Oh joy! :D...
No intention to bludgeon anyone - several posts in this thread were doubting that there was a genuine problem with DP Control, or whether it might be a configuration/user error issue - and I had confirmed that with MOTU last year so I thought it worthwhile pointing that out.

If I had intended to bludgeon MOTU, I would have constantly pestered them about updates to my Techlink, or worse, but I haven't, I just raised the issue with them and have left it at that.

I love MOTU more than the sun or stars, I don't want to break up with MOTU!

...but I do think Control needs an update. I am not against MOTU or upset with them, I am an agent working in support of Control.

Maybe its a communications issue.
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

From the posts I've seen it's one of those issues now that affects some and not others. I agree. I'd like to see it updated. I had expected an iPad version long ago. Either way, it was in the wrong forum, so it's better to have this discussion over here than in the DP thing.

Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

James Steele wrote:
Dan Worley wrote:My opinion is if you're going to be in the software/hardware business, keep your apps and drivers current and working. That will keep your customers happy and coming back and spreading the word.
Right. I'd be fine with them paying for it as I mentioned.
Yes, I would gladly pay for DP Control.

I think your perspective is not quite fair insofar as MOTU is concerned. What would you propose, short of posting a new update tomorrow? It works for some and not for others. Should they pull it down from the App Store to save face until a new one is up?
What I mean is that I think it's very important for companies to stay on top of all the apps they release. For whatever reason, MOTU hasn't stayed on top of DP Control, and that sends a bad message. (It's not a capital offense.) I understand there are priorities and set backs and there can be a maze of things they have to get through to accomplish this, but DP Control has been ignored for far too long. That's all.

Now, if only someone would tell me how to run my company. :wink:
DP10.13
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Ironically they'd be taking less heat today if they had never released an iOS app to start with. :) Reminds me of the dangers of raising expectations beyond the *apparent* ability to deliver.

Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

dave pine wrote:i'd pay $$$$ for a good rebuild or update even
I think this is hitting the nail right on the head. I too would happily pay a reasonable fee mentioned here was regularly updated and fixed to work on all platforms. The trouble with DP Control is that it is so useful you don't appreciate it until it's broken. Fortunately mine is working again now but I am still on iOS six
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
http://www.ten21recordingstudios.co.uk/
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yeah, I have an iPhone 4 so I'll be on iOS 6.1 until I get a new phone.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I'm happy with the BCF2000 using Yosemite and DP8. But I was curious about DP Control on my iPhone 4S with iOS 7.1. It sets up quickly and works very well, except if I make a mistake, like pressing record without arming a track. Then it gives an error message and quits. It will launch again right away, but something isn't right.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8