what happened to DP Control?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
mike_o
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

what happened to DP Control?

Post by mike_o »

I just got an ipad and went looking for the DP control ipad/iphone control software and its not available anymore.

http://www.motu.com/products/software/d ... trol.html/

it also doesn't show up in the app store anymore.

anyone know what happened?

when and why did they pull this program down?

is there a free alternative somewhere?

any and all help is appreciated, thanks.

Mike
Mac Pro 2X Dual Core 2.66Ghz-10.4.9-7 GigRam-828MKII-MTPAV-Ultralight MK3-Digi Performer6.01-PeakPro5.1-Reason4-AbeltonLive6-Virus Rack(Red)-ReMOTE 25 & 37 SL-Nocturn-Stanton Dacratch-PluggoPack-DimensionLE W/EmuProteusPack-Sylenth1-Discovery MAC-MX4-Rapture-Alpha-Octopuss-Automat-Automat1-TALbassline-TALUno60
cuttime

Re: what happened to DP Control?

Post by cuttime »

I still see it in the US app store, and no, I still can't get it to work in iOS 8.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dp-cont ... 83770?mt=8
Maybe if it has been pulled it could mean an update is coming?
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
dave pine

Post by dave pine »

you're looking under ipad apps, it's in iphone apps
mac pro 2.26 octacore 24gigs of ram/ El Capitan10.11, dp 10, mackie dxb, 3-2408mk3, waves mercury 10, ozone 3&4&5678, sound toys, izotope rx, melodyne editor, uad 2, bluetubes, 22" polkadotted dildo, omnishpere 2, trigger 2 deluxe, addictive drums, komplete 9, e/w ql symphonic orq platinum, ql choirs, ql stormdrum 2, ql gypsy, ql ra, ql goliath, ql pianos, superior drummer 3, ez drummer 2, garritan bigband, amg kickass brass, ztar, wife, dogs, droped my protools rig at the city dump
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

I do hope hope MOTU does something positive with DP Control. I think it's a shame they've let it get so out of date. It seems they have completely abandoned it, and its users.
DP10.13
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Dan Worley wrote:I do hope hope MOTU does something positive with DP Control. I think it's a shame they've let it get so out of date. It seems they have completely abandoned it, and its users.
+1 billion. MOTU has really dropped the ball here.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
dave pine

Post by dave pine »

ya think?
mac pro 2.26 octacore 24gigs of ram/ El Capitan10.11, dp 10, mackie dxb, 3-2408mk3, waves mercury 10, ozone 3&4&5678, sound toys, izotope rx, melodyne editor, uad 2, bluetubes, 22" polkadotted dildo, omnishpere 2, trigger 2 deluxe, addictive drums, komplete 9, e/w ql symphonic orq platinum, ql choirs, ql stormdrum 2, ql gypsy, ql ra, ql goliath, ql pianos, superior drummer 3, ez drummer 2, garritan bigband, amg kickass brass, ztar, wife, dogs, droped my protools rig at the city dump
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

dave pine wrote:ya think?
Yes.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

It still works fine on my phone under 8.1, so I suspect that MOTU thinks the app is fine. All the emotional terms about abandonment... Really? Wasn't this free?

If it's not working, it might be worth the time to really go over your settings in DP. I swear it works here... The only problem I've found is that it freezes if you try to put the DAW in record when no track has been armed.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Gravity Jim wrote:It still works fine on my phone under 8.1, so I suspect that MOTU thinks the app is fine. All the emotional terms about abandonment... Really? Wasn't this free?

If it's not working, it might be worth the time to really go over your settings in DP. I swear it works here... The only problem I've found is that it freezes if you try to put the DAW in record when no track has been armed.
Oh, well, if it works for you... :roll:

MOTU put it out there as a helpful app to support DP, and they have not supported it. Free or not, it's just a bad move.

I can't help but wonder, "Wow, if they can't handle this..."
DP10.13
billf

Post by billf »

Gravity Jim wrote:It still works fine on my phone under 8.1, so I suspect that MOTU thinks the app is fine. All the emotional terms about abandonment... Really? Wasn't this free?
What does free have to do with it? It's intended for use with DP, which is not free. And it is advertised on the MOTU site as being part of the DP8 package.

http://www.motu.com/products/software/dp/features.html
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Gravity Jim wrote:...All the emotional terms about abandonment... Really? Wasn't this free?...
I am not emotional in the slightest about this. I have not shed a tear, nor am I angry or otherwise upset. The only emotion I associate with DP Control is a minor twinge of happiness because I now know that it works for you.

In terms of it being free, given that it only works with DP, it is not free - it costs what it costs to licence DP, beause you can only get it/use it with DP.

Unfortunately, it does not work for me, and when I contacted MOTU, they acknowledged problems that need an update to fix. Of course, even if it wasn't broken, its functionality lacks when compared to other options, so it still should be updated.

It is a simple fact that, unlike too many other DAW manufacturers to mention, MOTU has dropped the ball in terms of iOS/Android etc. integration.

Thank you anyway for your informative and supportive post.
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Working for me here, too. Wish it did for everyone. And let's not let things get personal here. Also, as far as "what else can't MOTU handle"... I think that's extrapolating it way too far. They just released an update to DP8 and they came out with a whole new line of hardware interfaces supporting Thunderbolt and AVB. I don't believe they have unlimited resources, and it may be that the simply had other priorities that they felt was more crucial to their survival. I doubt letting an iOS app slide was as vital as making their new TB interfaces as compelling as they could and getting them to market. We'll wait and see what happens next.

As for the iOS app itself, I personally haven't really utilized it much other than as a fun curiosity. When I'm in the studio everything is faster via computer keyboard. When tracking, and having to control DP remotely, I ended up using screen sharing with my MacBook. Interestingly, I found that using VineServer on my DAW made for better performance on the VnC client end than using built-in screen sharing. Go figure.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

I did note the email link within the app for sending suggestions goes to a dead email address! I only recently upgraded to the land of wifi equipped computers, so there's not been a way for me to try it out....still haven't tried it under ios8. If they focused on making the avb app work better instead, it makes me happy. There's always some bug to squash.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

Neyrinck V-Control Free does most of what DP Control does/did, so there's a 3rd party free alternative. Pro version is not expensive. Supports DP.

http://www.neyrinck.com/v-control-pro
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Really, folks, some perspective would be handy right about now. I know we all tend to get upset when our perfect universe is poked, prodded, rocked, crashed, or destroyed. There's justification in being upset, but don't let it cause unrealistic expectations.

DP Control was created in a period when not much else was going on (if I recall correctly), and it kind of appeared without fanfare, by surprise. At least that's how it was for me. One day it was just there. So, it's been through some ups and downs, but generally it's kept working. Now, we've just entered a new phase of Apple OS X and iOS integration. That almost without exception means there are things that won't work. I'm dealing with one, myself, but unrelated to music. Still, it's an archive of 70 years worth of magazines, with every issue, every article and every picture right there in the viewer, a historian's dream come true. Except... it was made with Adobe Director about 10 years ago, and Yosemite finally broke it. Nothing I can do except hope that they update it someday. (this is a company that makes MOTU look like they're dancing on fire!)

So, what does it mean for MOTU to fix DP Control? They have to come to a consensus that it's broken, which is sometimes hard to do when it's working for half the people. Then they have to allocate a budget to fix it. Once they have a budget, they hire a contractor and meet to come up with a list of any fixes or improvements they wish to make. The contractor then gets to work, and once he's about a week into the project, he tells them that there's no way to do this on their budget, so they have to meet and decide whether it's worth going all the way. They're into the contractor for a week's wages, at this point, so they decide they have to finish it, but that means delaying another project for a month to pay for the contractor's wages. Once they reach an agreement, they pay the contractor and he has it ready that afternoon.

So, as you can see, it isn't something that happens overnight. First it has to hit their radar, and I suspect that it's just now doing that. So give it some time. Meanwhile, this might be a good time to get to know some of the alternatives out there, difficult though they are to program and customize. But cut MOTU a break! This is not a direct revenue generator for them. It's more of a buzz creator. Since everyone else is doing it, and they've already reaped that buzz, fixing it is more like damage control than creating more buzz. So, at this point they're probably not too happy about it. Unless someone come up with a great idea for how to expand on it without paying the contractor any extra, this is seen as extra work and extra expense! And they thought they were being so nice to us by letting us have it for free!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|