Question about USB MIDI

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
kinnylandrum
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Question about USB MIDI

Post by kinnylandrum »

I have a rather convoluted but necessary (to me) question about USB MIDI.

I do a gig where I want to get a set of MIDI drum pads to play a remote Alesis drum machine in real time from near my keyboard. There are lots of new drum pads that are small, cheap, and will fit on top of my Kurzweil keyboard. But all of them use USB for MIDI, no MIDI connectors. My Kurzweil keyboard has a USB connector I never use, one of those "rounded square" types.

My question is, could I plug a USB cable from the the Kurzweil to the pads, supplying power and MIDI? And then would the pads send messages to the drum machine from my MIDI thru jack on the Kurzweil to the Alesis Drum machine, presumably on channel 10, to play the drum sounds on the machine from my pads?

If anyone who knows the answer to this, it would be greatly appreciated.
DP 10.11 MacPro 16-core 3.2 GHZ, 48 Gb Ram, 10.15.2, numerous VIs, etc.
adriano

Re: Question about USB MIDI

Post by adriano »

kinnylandrum wrote:I have a rather convoluted but necessary (to me) question about USB MIDI.

I do a gig where I want to get a set of MIDI drum pads to play a remote Alesis drum machine in real time from near my keyboard. There are lots of new drum pads that are small, cheap, and will fit on top of my Kurzweil keyboard. But all of them use USB for MIDI, no MIDI connectors. My Kurzweil keyboard has a USB connector I never use, one of those "rounded square" types.

My question is, could I plug a USB cable from the the Kurzweil to the pads, supplying power and MIDI? And then would the pads send messages to the drum machine from my MIDI thru jack on the Kurzweil to the Alesis Drum machine, presumably on channel 10, to play the drum sounds on the machine from my pads?

If anyone who knows the answer to this, it would be greatly appreciated.
I don't know if the Kurz has enough power to supply to the pads, via USB.
All the other info you're asking about, you will need to consult the MIDI IMPLEMENTATION charts in the respective manuals. If you haven't bought the pads yet, go to the manufacture website, sometime they have the manuals available online and look at the MIDI implementation info.

Adriano
iMac9,1, 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB-RAM, 10.9.5
DP 8.07, 828MKIII, Keys-Fantom X8, XV-88. Key

SampleTank v2.5.4, Miroslav Philharmonik v1.1.2, SampleMoog v1.02, SampleTron v1.02, Sonik Synth 2 v2.1.1, Independence Pro v3.2.0126, EZDrummer 1.4, MDrummer Large 5.02, Komplete U9, Orchestral Essential 1, Orchestral Essential 2, Complete Orchestral Collection

Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If it is the Alesis SR-16, good luck. I could never make mine work properly as a MIDI slave and eventually gave it away to a friend who encountered the same problem.

I had no problems making any of my other MIDI modules and keyboards (with percussion) work in that configuration. This includes my HR-16.

Alesis promised firmware upgrades for the SR-16 that were never released. I notice that you can buy many different EPROMs for the HR-16 on eBay.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
kinnylandrum

Post by kinnylandrum »

Thanks for the replies so far. In reply to Mike Halloran, no, its an Alesis SR-18, not 16. And I will look up about the power requirements of the Korg nano pad 2, which is what I am considering. Do those "rounded square" USB jacks send out power to connected devices? If anyone has first hand knowledge, I would appreciate it.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

kinnylandrum wrote: Do those "rounded square" USB jacks send out power to connected devices? If anyone has first hand knowledge, I would appreciate it.

No. That jack is always the receiving end in a usb connection.

If buss power is available, it comes from the other end that looks like a blade. Not all ports supply buss power, btw, even on a MacBook. If both your devices have that jack, you require a usb hub to connect. Most powered hubs can supply buss power but not all do. You will have to check mfrs power requirements against the specs of a powered hub.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
kinnylandrum

Post by kinnylandrum »

Thanks. So I guess you're saying this could work by buying a powered hub, with a USB A cable (the blade connector) going to the pads to supply power and a USB B connector cable to the Kurzweil to supply MIDI to the Kurzweil's MIDI thru port to connect to the Alesis. Right? Or is there some other way NOT involving a computer?