LinkedIn? Do you guys use that site?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
billf
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: LinkedIn? Do you guys use that site?

Post by billf »

LinkedIn is better than Facebook, but that isn't saying much. But for professional purposes, it has some use.

My LinkedIn account that only has professional connections on it. I don't use it for chatting or posting anything, and I do not connect my friends or family on it. I had a Facebook account, but deleted it long ago, and refuse to use Google Plus. I just don't have time for all the social media nonsense, and the privacy invasivness of FB and Google Plus are just not worth any supposed benefits.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I think Facebook can serve a useful purpose for bands and Indy musicians.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
billf

Post by billf »

James Steele wrote:I think Facebook can serve a useful purpose for bands and Indy musicians.
True, as does Twitter, YouTube, and others.

There is a "business page" function (sorry, I can't remember the actual name of it) on Facebook that can be useful, and setting up automated updates from your website to that and Twitter are easy enough to do. But for personal use with friends and family, I don't care for it. To each their own though, and if some find it great for personal use, that's cool.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
crduval

Post by crduval »

LinkedIn has its uses but here's a tip if you do use it - log off when you are done doing whatever. Otherwise LinkedIn will monitor email exchanges and your contacts in order to suggest potential people to connect to. I'm not on Facebook so I don't know if it does the same thing...

Also be sure to set your privacy settings according to your comfort level about sharing private information. If you leave settings to share all profile changes with your contacts then every time you make an edit to your profile your contacts will be notified. As in multiple times per day potentially!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

crduval wrote:LinkedIn has its uses but here's a tip if you do use it - log off when you are done doing whatever. Otherwise LinkedIn will monitor email exchanges and your contacts in order to suggest potential people to connect to. I'm not on Facebook so I don't know if it does the same thing...

Also be sure to set your privacy settings according to your comfort level about sharing private information. If you leave settings to share all profile changes with your contacts then every time you make an edit to your profile your contacts will be notified. As in multiple times per day potentially!
Thanks for the warnings. The first one seems indistinguishable from blatant spying :?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
crduval

LinkedIn? Do you guys use that site?

Post by crduval »

I thought the same thing! I kept wondering how the heck LinkedIn managed suggest connecting with people that had nothing to do with my corporate or university life - then I found out. I am getting more paranoid every day. Hey sounds like a good song title "more paranoid" - gotta work on that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller