The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
supersonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by supersonic »

Hi everyone,

Any suggestions as to what is the best place for putting an avatar image to link to? Dropbox and Flickr don't work.
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
cuttime

Re: Avatar conundrum

Post by cuttime »

Photobucket.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

I use http://i.imgur.com because the price is right.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I got it sorted with Photobucket. Thanks!!
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I've been using Dropbox since Apple pulled the iDisk or whatever they ended up calling it. Anyway, Dropbox works great for icons, picture posting, or large file sharing.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

It's the only reason I still keep a MySpace account. No hassles to buy anything ever, much easier than trying to share photos from FaceBook.

I've not considered DropBox but might if MySpace gets weird(er).
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

mikehalloran wrote:It's the only reason I still keep a MySpace account. No hassles to buy anything ever, much easier than trying to share photos from FaceBook.

I've not considered DropBox but might if MySpace gets weird(er).
My son had to talk me into DropBox. I didn't want to fool with it. But I was amazed how easy it was to set up and use. When you open it, it's basically another folder in your Finder. It acts like a Finder folder — drag a file to it, and it moves the file unless you hold down the Option key to copy it. It's just there, has a lot of capacity, and posting anything is just a matter of copying the public URL, easily grabbed with contextual menus when control-clicking.

It also does a lot of advanced things that I've only touched on. My son has used it for collaborating on projects with me and things like that. I basically use the Public folder. Very nice, though.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I hear you. I like DropBox for sharing files between my iMac, iPhone and iPad.

I bought a piece of used gear recently and the usb thumb drive was missing. I called the manufacturer to see if I could buy a new one. Tech support instead shared the latest and greatest version of the software via DropBox and it was quick and easy. I'm a fan.

I've not used it for sharing anything with the public–yet. Looks like I need to investigate that.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

I use Dropbox both for my public stuff like Avatars and dealing with clients sending large files back and forth. It works great- easier than iDisk did for me anyway. I have a Dropbox folder on my desktop with private subfolders shared with individual clients. We get notifications when the other party has uploaded or downloaded anything. It's all drag and drop. It's a really great help in my workflow. One caveat though: always Option-Drag files to Dropbox if you want to keep the original files in place.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Why not put your avatar in your control panel here on the board?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

bayswater wrote:Why not put your avatar in your control panel here on the board?
I always thought that they had to be linked to a URL off site unless something has changed.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

cuttime wrote:
bayswater wrote:Why not put your avatar in your control panel here on the board?
I always thought that they had to be linked to a URL off site unless something has changed.
There is no link showing for mine. There is a size restriction of 180 x 220 pixels.
HectorOsborn
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by HectorOsborn »

Best thing to do is get your own hosting and host the files yourself. I don't trust these file hosts anymore.
Last edited by HectorOsborn on Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:30 am, edited 8 times in total.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

HectorOsborn wrote:Best thing to do is get your own hosting and host the files yourself. I don't trust these file hosts anymore.
That costs money, or you need to maintain a server. Dropbox is free for (I think) up to 2 GB. The OP was asking about hosting avatars and such which certainly isn't sensitive material. I have 2 web sites and still use DB for its convenience. YMMV.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

philbrown wrote:That costs money, or you need to maintain a server.
It would make no sense if all you want is somewhere to put avatars and a few pictures. As for trust -- everything you put here is perused by google/bing/ bots.

But if you have other uses for file servers, and you already have a static IP address, there is no cost, and maintaining a simple server consists mostly of keeping it plugged in. Domain hosting with a full set of services with a large amount of space and bandwidth can be had annually for the cost of a no brainer plug-in.