Mastering software

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mastering software

Post by mikehalloran »

I have DSP-Q but find that after getting everything the way that I want it in DP that Toast 11 works just as well for me.

The idea of loading up a CD mastering program with all sorts of plugins just … well … that's not how I work. I'll throw my mix into DP if it needs that. I might use a master compressor lightly but that's it. If I am mastering for K-LOVE then I squeeze the life out of it (better me than them).
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Hi Mike...

In answer to the previous post, I meant both actually. Bobs tip for DSP-Quattro was a good one so I bought it.

So far I'm on a long learning curve. I have completely mastered my album but ran into a couple of snags. 1. The two lists it keeps on song order have separately un-referenced itself from each other and songs are out of order plus i cannot cut a cd. The main list, which is based on the waveforms called Regions is perfect including cross fades, levels, insert plug treatments etc but the CD Track menu is mixed up. Amazing there. Had a problem accessing my RME for playback but working with the designer at the company he got me going. Not sure what to do next with it as i'm stuck. I emailed Shooshie but he's tied up and hasn't the time to get involved to sus it out.

The deal of $50 bucks to upgrade from peak is unreal for version 4 considering Sonic Studio asks $600 bucks for theirs.

Mike how well did you get into DSP-Q?
Last edited by Timeline on Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The deal of $50 bucks to upgrade from peak
I remembered not paying $99. Now I recall that it was an upgrade from Peak for me, too.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
BobK

Post by BobK »

Timeline wrote:Not sure what to do next with it as i'm stuck.
What are you trying to do?
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

BobK wrote:
Timeline wrote:Not sure what to do next with it as i'm stuck.
What are you trying to do?

Look at the two lists and notice the CD Track list does not follow the Regions list
I have the Regions setup perfectly on this album but somewhere they lost track of each other when adding new tracks. How do I fix the CD tracks list to match the Regions? If you want a higher rez version of this browse to address is http://www.eirec.com/DSPQ.tiff

Thanks Bob.

My number is 262-720-7287 btw
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
BobK

Post by BobK »

Hmm-not sure...did you try playing back the tracks to verify that the ones in question weren't accidentally mis-named?

If you play back the tracks, and the sounds match the names in the regions list, then just double-click on the mis-named tracks in the CD tracks window and re-name them in the window that pops up. Might be as simple as that.
Bob

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I'm a little surprised Wavelab hasn't been mentioned so far...

I remember it was quite nice back from the days when I had PCs. It had this feature I loved that anything it deemed like a noise artifact got a marker automatically, and you could tab into them at full zoom, so editing them was a breeze.
I haven't used it since then.

Do you guys not like it? I thought it was a top contestant.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

FMiguelez wrote:I'm a little surprised Wavelab hasn't been mentioned so far...

I remember it was quite nice back from the days when I had PCs. It had this feature I loved that anything it deemed like a noise artifact got a marker automatically, and you could tab into them at full zoom, so editing them was a breeze.
I haven't used it since then.

Do you guys not like it? I thought it was a top contestant.
The full Wavelab 8.5 looks amazing, and might be the mastering software of choice for someone doing this processionally. I really don't know, not being a pro-mastering engineer. It costs $499.99, which is reasonable for a professional tool of this caliber.

The "lite" version, Wavelab Elements, sells for $99.99, and while they talk of it as if it's the same technology, the interface doesn't resemble its big brother's.

I wonder if having so many features on Wavelab 8.5 is what I need, since most of what it does is what I've already done in DP by the time I output a 2-track. I've spent thousands on plugins that do the same kinds of things, so do I really need all that functionality?

On the other hand, would the lite version really be of the same quality? I'm not saying it isn't; just asking if anyone knows the answer. If so, it might be a good compromise for someone who does most of their mastering in DP.

Would the advantage of being able to do it all right there in Wavelab 8.5 be great enough to stop mastering in DP and go ahead and lay out the bucks for the whole shebang?

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:Like Bob, I think I'd want to try a null test. Are you sure you didn't normalize one of them or something? (or maybe one normalizes automatically?) I just find it hard to believe that any mastering software that yields sound that is "not even close" would have such a great reputation as DSP-Quatro.
Back when we were talking about the sound of DP versus the sound of Logic, I moved loads of test files in and out of DSP-Q and did a lot of null tests. As far as I could tell, DSP-Q was completely linear.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Timeline wrote:Image

Look at the two lists and notice the CD Track list does not follow the Regions list
I have the Regions setup perfectly on this album but somewhere they lost track of each other when adding new tracks. How do I fix the CD tracks list to match the Regions? If you want a higher rez version of this browse to address is http://www.eirec.com/DSPQ.tiff
You've definitely got some mismatch there. Have you considered just reloading the songs? I'm not sure what's going on. A couple of your CD tracks have lengths of 00.00.00, and it appears that LoveMeLoveMyDog and Sunset have the same start time, the first being one of those with a length of 00.00.00.

I don't think any of that is the fault of DSP-Quattro. I've only used it for three projects so far, but I didn't have any problems of this sort. (actually, no problems of any kind) I think it's easy to misname a track or to screw up the order if you're not careful, but that's just the nature of using software that lets the user make decisions. If you can't figure out what went wrong, I'd at least reload LoveMeLoveMyDog and LonelyGun, which is the other song with a length of 00.00.00.

You can always consider it a learning process and just start over. I did that years ago when first learning Waveburner, which actually resembles DSP-Q. I just haven't used DSP-Q enough to give you step-by-step advice, because I have to feel my way through it each time. Maybe after another project or two I'll know it better.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

BobK wrote:Hmm-not sure...did you try playing back the tracks to verify that the ones in question weren't accidentally mis-named?

If you play back the tracks, and the sounds match the names in the regions list, then just double-click on the mis-named tracks in the CD tracks window and re-name them in the window that pops up. Might be as simple as that.
The playback is always from the regions window. The CD Tracks are strictly for making the CD , AFAIK. I have not been able to change anything in the Tracks window. All of the start, end and durations are completely wrong as well. You can delete all of the Tracks in this window and everything still plays from the Regions. There should be a way to select DSP-Q to remake the tracks window from the Regions but I have not found it. The guy in charge of developing the app, Stefano, has not contacted me since I asked him for a fix. Don't know but i think I started this in the Demo and something went astray after I opened it in the purchased version. Might have to just start over like you say Shooshie. One other thing. I may have been saving the CD Tracks info and not the project because it was at the top of the list. That could have messed me up, don't know. Yea Shooshie, learning experience. Using the UAD and Waves plugs on this has been outstanding and thanks to Bob, this will become my staple for mastering.

FM... Wave Labs is Yamaha right?
BobK

Post by BobK »

If it were me, I'd just start over with a fresh DSP-Q file - setting up these CD layouts is pretty quick. Like you said, maybe something got corrupted when/if you authorized the paid version mid-project.
Bob

DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

I'm doin it now. The Authorized version is a whole new file BTW. Thanks.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Actually, I did mention WaveLab, and that it was too unstable on the Mac to use, but that this might have cleared up with the latest version (which is yet another complete rewrite).

I didn't have enough time with their limited demo, unfortunately, so had to draw a quick conclusion based on what still seemed a messy workflow and layout, but it definitely felt more "native" to me than the previous version, which was their first Mac-compatible release.

I made a note to self to keep watching it and see if the next version brings it to maturity. There was a lot it couldn't do, so I passed, but unfortunately now it's been awhile so I can't remember if CD Mastering was one of its missing pieces.

Good that BobK is providing help with DSP Quattro. I got it for $50 during the Peak cross-grade promotion as well, and like it pretty well, but haven't used it that much since going 64-bits. It did seem like it might have the most intuitive CD Mastering features. For audio mastering, it seems in between Peak and the former Wave Editor (now Triumph) in level of detail, workflow, and customization. I do hope it continues development!
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
BobK

Post by BobK »

DSP-Q is on sale for $49 (for everyone - this is not a crossgrade price). The sale ends in 2 days:

https://stacksocial.com/sales/dsp-quatt ... ng-program
Last edited by BobK on Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bob

DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4