Apple Watch! I think they may have hit a home run!

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Apple Watch! I think they may have hit a home run!

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote:I'm still back on an iPhone 4.
I was on a iPhone 4 until it was stolen in a church in Rome. I had to get a new phone and the cheapest I could find was a 4S. It performs much better than a 4 under iOS 7 and I'm glad I got it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

OTOH, U2 performed at the local jr. college (Flint Center at De Anza JC in Cupertino) three miles from my house and I missed it.

Damn

"Wasn't that the most incredible single you ever heard?"

Do you really want an answer to that?

It took me a bit to figure out how to download the free album. It's the first time I have seen the iCloud icon on a download for iTunes - not intuitive but I figured it out. Oh well... I guess I don't do this much. Let's put it this way, the new U2 album follows some guy named James Steel going on about the number 11 in my purchased list. Mr. Steel follows Pete Seeger, btw. :dance:
I was on a iPhone 4 until it was stolen in a church in Rome. I had to get a new phone and the cheapest I could find was a 4S. It performs much better than a 4 under iOS 7
Yes, indeed! The 5/5S has better battery life but doesn't perform that much better other than the features I have mentioned - the 4G LTE in the 5S makes a huge difference for me.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

As someone else mentioned - the really big news is Apple Pay. The iphone 6's have NFC chips that can emulate contactless credit cards (which are going to be everywhere this time next year - bye bye mag stripe). You can add your cards to your phone and then use the phone to pay anywhere that supports paywave/paypass cards - which is also going to be everywhere. The reason for this is the card issuers want the new cards because they are much harder to clone and as of August 2015 they are going to shift the liability for bad card purchases to the merchants if they haven't changed over.

The watch has NFC too. So you can leave your phone in your pocket and wave the watch over the payment terminal to buy stuff too. This will also work with the iPhone 5 phones and gives current iPhone users not eager to upgrade a means to join the Apple Pay revolution.

If you want to wear a watch. I'm hard on watches and have only ever worn Timex Iron Man sports watches since college. They're the only thing that holds up to my lifestyle. Once I got an iPhone and the last Timex died - I gave up on watches completely.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

And it tells time.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Does anybody really care?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

About what?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

As I was walking down the street one day
A man came up to me and asked me
What the time was that was on my watch, yeah
And I said

Does anybody really know what time it is?
If so I can't imagine why
We've all got time enough to cry

And I was walking down the street one day
A pretty lady looked at me and said
Her diamond watch had stopped cold dead
And I said

Being pushed and shoved by people trying to beat the clock
Oh, oh, I just don't know, I don't know, I don't know, oh
And I said, yes, I said

We've all got time enough to die

Everybody's working
I don't care about time
I don't care

Songwriters
LAMM, ROBERT

Published by
Lyrics © Warner/Chappell Music, Inc.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Can it run DP Control?
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote:Can it run DP Control?
In theory it could. Apple has provided APIs/documentation to third party developers. They'd have to update the app obviously. Still, seems like it would make more sense to make an iPad optimized app.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:As I was walking down the street one day
A man came up to me and asked me
What the time was that was on my watch, yeah
And I said

A pretty lady looked at me and said
Her diamond watch had stopped cold dead
And I said

Being pushed and shoved by people trying to beat the clock
Oh, oh, I just don't know, I don't know, I don't know, oh
And I said, yes, I said

We've all got time enough to die

Everybody's working
I don't care about time
I don't care

Songwriters
LAMM, ROBERT

Published by
Lyrics © Warner/Chappell Music, Inc.
Ahhh okay... I guess I did ask.

Yeah... people care. So long as we're expected to be at certain places by a certain time...

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote:
bayswater wrote:Can it run DP Control?
In theory it could. Apple has provided APIs/documentation to third party developers. They'd have to update the app obviously. Still, seems like it would make more sense to make an iPad optimized app.
It was a semi serious question. If the OS for it has CoreAudio and CoreMIDI or equivalents, along with motion sensing, who knows what smart people could come up with?
MIDI Life Crisis

James Steele wrote:
Yeah... people care. So long as we're expected to be at certain places by a certain time...
Indeed. It's 80% of success. :) Delivery is 15% and personality maybe 5%. Of course one needs to score 99% or better most of the time.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

I thought the music for the watch reveal was excellent. Great work, whoever composed that.

http://www.apple.com/watch/films/
DP10.13
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
James Steele wrote:
Indeed. It's 80% of success. :) Delivery is 15% and personality maybe 5%. Of course one needs to score 99% or better most of the time.
Wasn't it Woody Allen who said something like a certain percentage of success was "just showing up?"

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

James Steele wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
James Steele wrote:
Wasn't it Woody Allen who said something like a certain percentage of success was "just showing up?"
When I was an agent, I had an artist (who had a brass ensemble that became very famous) who was always asking me to make demands for them. They were the kinds of demands that were embarrassing for me to ask for. Things like what kind of limo to pick them up at the airport (fancy stretch, not a van), foods that were hard to come by more than 20 miles outside a major metropolitan population center, and much, much, much, much more.

I finally asked him why he asked for so much. He said his father had taught him "always ask for everything. You just might get it!"

Well, I don't agree with that. No doubt it's true: you might get it. And maybe sometimes you DO get it. And maybe that's why his group became famous; he kept pushing and pushing and got better deals, higher-priced agents (his next agent after me was Columbia Artists, who reaped what I had sowed), and so on. Maybe success is about being hard-nosed, not caring what anyone thinks, and asking for the whole goddam world delivered to you on a silver platter. Maybe just being so brazen as to demand it will cause certain people to give it to you.

But honestly, that's one reason I left that business. I got sick of those attitudes. I could not in good conscience represent people I so thoroughly detested. And look at me... I've done well, but I certainly haven't risen up the ranks to those stratospheric levels of fame and fortune that the brazens get — the Trumps, Hiltons, Kardashians, and whomever gets things by demanding them. There are things I'd do differently if I could do it all over, knowing what I know now, but that's not one of them. Respect and decency must be tended with care, and when you spread them, their effect ripples exponentially through the world. Likewise, greed and intimidation work exponentially, but more like an invading army.

Drifting off topic here, though it is related to the whole Watch/materialism discussion. I'll return you now to your previously scheduled program.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|