Apple Watch! I think they may have hit a home run!

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Apple Watch! I think they may have hit a home run!

Post by James Steele »

I'm watching the live stream. Holy moly... I think Apple may have really crushed one out of the park on this. Talk bout capturing the imagination. I'm sold. I want one.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
stubbsonic

Re: Apple Watch! I think they may have hit a home run!

Post by stubbsonic »

I'm not sure I get it.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I haven't even seen it or heard anything about it and I already want one.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Agreed. You're going to be seeing the Apple Watch everywhere real soon.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Well the ONLY thing that bothered me when I started thinking about it, was that it works in conjunction with an iPhone. (BTW, it will work with the iPhone 5 series as well which is very smart of Apple.) So if a message comes in and I see it on my watch face, since my iPhone must be either on my person or nearby, why wouldn't I then just take out my iPhone and enjoy the larger screen instead of peer at the watch face and dictate into the watch?

Still, the fitness applications look impressive and I'm sure there's a potential here.

On another subject, I'm uneasy about the ramifications of a huge band like U2, giving away millions and millions of copies of their *entire album* from now till October. Might this have impact on consumer perceptions of the value of recorded music?

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I haven't even seen it or heard anything about it and I already want one.
Me too. I want it...

But what is it? What are you guys talking about? :?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Typically of Apple, when the product is rumored, you wonder "what can they do to this that would make it any different from other companies' examples of the same thing? Why would I want Apple's, and not Samsung's?

And typically of Apple, when the product finally comes out, it shows you what it is, and you immediately "get it." Having seen it you realize it no longer makes sense NOT to have it.

And typically of "getting it" when you see the many layers of differences that set it apart from other such products, you see why the other companies do not "get it." It just requires too much depth and infrastructure within the company and its resources.

None of the above would make sense to anyone who hasn't been bitten by the Apple bug at least once, and yet it makes total sense to those who have. I remember when I bought my first 128K Mac, nobody sold it to me. I walked into a store, played with MacPaint and saw the banner advertising MOTU's Professional Composer (still in development). I wrote a check and walked out with a Mac.

All obvious.

Pretty much every Apple product I've ever seen has sold itself the same way. Once you see what they've created, it's obvious. "This is what everyone needs." Now it's the Apple Watch.

 Watch — Obvious

I can't explain it. It just makes sense; that's all.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
billf

Post by billf »

FMiguelez wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I haven't even seen it or heard anything about it and I already want one.
Me too. I want it...

But what is it? What are you guys talking about? :?
It's a new guitar tuner app built into a watch. :D

Well, at least I would find that convenient. :D
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Ellen DeGeneres reportedly said:
  • So excited for the Apple Watch. For centuries,
    we’ve checked the time by looking at our phones.
    Having it on your wrist? Genius.
    • #AppleLive
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

My violinist appeared on Ellen today. :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Like the iPad, this could be an instant hit that I still have no interest in getting. I just can't justify $350 for a watch. I reach down to my pocket and I have a device that does 10x what this can do. The convenience of having a handheld device that lets me do so much is still BLOWING MY MIND even 5 years later, so I'm not sure I really need my mind to be blown any more than it already is... not for $350 any way.

However, this is incredibly smart of apple. The reasons for going iOS over Android are starting to slip away. This requires that everyone who has this watch will have a very very good reason for going iOS, suddenly this puts Apple back in the spotlight after being knocked around by Android pretty hard.

These new iPhones look stellar. I'm really weary of getting something THAT big, I already laugh at the ginormous Galaxy phone users. I keep mine on a hip holster, I can grab it in 2seconds flat, no worry of sitting on it or it making it uncomfortable. I wouldn't have it any other way, and I can't see being able to have a convenient holster for a device that big. But the 64GB 4.7" version... that's my next baby!
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Gravity just cracked his 1000th post. Congrats!
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

As for the watch, because it has the ability to read your pulse, etc. it looks like they may have something with a lot of potential for the health/exercise market. We'll have to see if some third party developer does something mind blowing with it. I did read that APPL stock ended a little bit down today, believe it or not.

MIDI Life Crisis

I hate wearing watches and large devices. It doesn't matter what it does, neither is for me. I'll keep my iPhone 5S.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

These events are feeling very strange to me. I like and appreciate the tech, and good things have come from it, but there's just something creepy (to me) with how they talk about and present all this stuff now.
DP10.13