MIDI controlled XLR mute box?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
daniel.sneed
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MIDI controlled XLR mute box?

Post by daniel.sneed »

James, AFAIK, di-box are of two kinds. Passive ones are only a stepdown transformer. Active ones are an electronic buffer feeding a transformer, with equal windings and a middle point access for phantom power.
Transformers grades vary greatly from basic and cheap to very high quality at very high costs. Magnetic shielding is required for mic levels, and may be useful for line levels too.

OTOH, wireless receivers may provide line level, or mic level, or both at a flip of a switch.
Unproper matching may be harmless in some cases, but may degrade signal somewhat, depending of many things, such as levels, impedances...

When on gig out of my living area, I tend to be as conservative as possible. I do appreciate surprises in music, but not so much in soundchecks!
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Maybe this, with just a dummy/dead load on the alternate XLR?

http://www.radialeng.com/hotshotabi.php
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

BKK-OZ wrote:Maybe this, with just a dummy/dead load on the alternate XLR?

http://www.radialeng.com/hotshotabi.php
See that. I don't even think you need the dummy load as somewhere in their info I think they mention you could use it as a mute. There's another one I saw that has a 1/4" jack on for a remote switch. Could perhaps connect that to a jack on an effects unit that's designed to switch amp channels and control via MIDI.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Actually this may be a possible solution:

http://www.radialeng.com/relayxo.php

It has a 1/4" input for a remote footswitch. My TC G Major 2 has a 1/4" jack on the back that's meant to connect to footswitch jacks on amps for channel switching and it can be open or closed via MIDI controller. Might work.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Radial make good gear, esp. for switching, that is why I thought of them when I saw your post.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku