Ghosts in the studio

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Ghosts in the studio

Post by Phil O »

[totally random off topic post]

I built my current studio about 25 years ago in my basement using careful construction techniques and the best acoustic design I could manage. But, it ain't perfect. Our kitchen is directly above one corner of the studio and if you stomp your feet hard in the kitchen you can hear it in the studio. Yesterday while tracking a vocal, I heard (and the client heard :cry: ) several loud thumps right in the middle of a take. I apologized and took a break to go up and yell at the pesky family member creating the problem, but the house was empty. Upon return to the control room a playback of the take revealed no evidence of it ever happening. We both heard this clearly. Surely the mic would have picked it up. We listened a second time - nothing could be heard. Weird huh?

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooo

BTW, the take was a keeper.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
FMiguelez

Re: Ghosts in the studio

Post by FMiguelez »

That's weird, Phil!

Hopefully it's not a severe case of pareidolia :lol:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Both of us heard it. It must be contagious!
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

I have hours(in the hundreds) of old rehearsal tapes that we use to just let free run.
When I have a chance I like to go through them looking for old forgotten material, every once in a while I'll hear the voice of a old person or friend who have since past.
The creepy part is how clear the recordings are you would expect to turn around and see the person.
That's my ghost in the studio experience.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Phil O wrote:Both of us heard it. It must be contagious!
The weird thing is that the mic didn't pick it up and you both heard it :shock:
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Phil O wrote:Wooooooooooooooooooooooooo

BTW, the take was a keeper.

It was the Ghost of Lost Takes, cheering its approval for your keeper. First it cries for all the takes it has lost by doing that. Then it thumps for the take. Maybe it has learned how to stay out of the microphones!
:shock:
Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Phil O wrote:Yesterday while tracking a vocal,...
Needed to quote myself here for a correction. This didn't happen yesterday, it happened quite some time ago. I have absolutely no idea why I said yesterday. Not really important, but it was bugging me, thus the correction. The mind is the first thing to go. Wish I had bought the extended warrantee.

Phil
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Shooshie wrote:It was the Ghost of Lost Takes, cheering its approval for your keeper.
That makes the most sense so far.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Phil O wrote:The mind is the first thing to go. Wish I had bought the extended warrantee.
:lol:

Hey, Phil, perhaps next time you have a couple of minutes to kill, you could leave the mic on and go to your kitchen, walk a little, jump and then thump on the floor, just to see if (and how much) the mic picks each of those up.
Perhaps it wasn't a ghost... Sounds to me it could've been our dear :unicorn:

:)

Phil O

Post by Phil O »

FMiguelez wrote:Hey, Phil, perhaps next time you have a couple of minutes to kill, you could leave the mic on and go to your kitchen, walk a little, jump and then thump on the floor, just to see if (and how much) the mic picks each of those up.
Perhaps it wasn't a ghost... Sounds to me it could've been our dear :unicorn:

:)
Been there, done that. Yeah, when I first built the studio I did a lot of testing. The kitchen was my biggest concern. I spent a lot of time and effort and sacrificed some height isolating the kitchen floor from the studio ceiling. If you walk around normally, you really can't hear it in the studio and the mics pick up nothing, but if you really stomp you can hear it (and so can the mics). My family knows this and I've never had any problems - until the ghost showed up. :twisted:

Phil
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

I took this photo in my yard.

Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Tom!

What are you saying? Is that picture real, without any photoshop? (you didn't specify) :shock:

I always wondered why alleged ghosts always appear dressed, and most times with hair :?
Aren't they supposed to be "non-physical" ( ! ) entities?

You're kidding, Tom, right?
Last edited by FMiguelez on Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Wait! That face looks familiar.

I know whose ghost that is:

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

FMiguelez wrote:You're kidding, Tom, right?
He's serious! BTW...

BRIDGE FOR SALE (slightly used) Best offer. No refunds. No exchanges.

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:BTW...

BRIDGE FOR SALE (slightly used) Best offer. No refunds. No exchanges.

Darn! So close, but so far! I had something a little more Hudson-y in mind.

:?
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|