EditorsKeys has a DP Product

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

EditorsKeys has a DP Product

Post by bayswater »

I had asked these guys if they planned a DP keyboard. They said they would, but nothing came for years. Now it appears they have a DP overlay for most newer Mac keyboards. Products are in alphabetical order.

http://www.editorskeys.com/products/sil ... ng-covers/
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Gravity Jim

Re: EditorsKeys has a DP Product

Post by Gravity Jim »

Cool. I've always wanted something like this, tried one of the 100-buck brightly colored keyboards but the commands were outdated, and I wasn't going to spend any time changing DP.

I've got one on the way.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
buhardilla

Post by buhardilla »

For DP keys covers or full DP keyboards have a look to this website:
http://www.logickeyboard.com/shop/motu- ... 2572p.html
and
http://www.logickeyboard.com/shop/motu- ... 2141p.html
I bought them a DP key cover and I think was an excellent investment
DP 10.11 || iMac 2019 5K ||i9 8core 3.6GHz|| 64 GB RAM|| macOS 11.5.1
RME AiOPro || Softube Console 1 ||
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Unless they've updated their key layout, LogicKey's pre-printed keyboard had many of the commands wrong for DP 7 and up. I bought one, and rather than fiddle around with making DP fit the incorrect layout, I sent it back.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

The Logickeyboard keyboard is very expensive. The keyboard cover (about the same price) is similar but the EditorsKeys cover colour codes the commands according to the modifier key used for the command. EditorsKeys also makes a cover for the wireless and laptop keyboards.
buhardilla

Post by buhardilla »

Gravity Jim wrote:Unless they've updated their key layout, LogicKey's pre-printed keyboard had many of the commands wrong for DP 7 and up. I bought one, and rather than fiddle around with making DP fit the incorrect layout, I sent it back.
hmm !? what commands? According to Logickeyboard website specs are compatible with DP 6, 7 and 8
I'm novice to DP (only 1.5 year user since v8 ) and I have not experience on early versions. But with DP v8 I have not seen commands errors.
bayswater wrote:The Logickeyboard keyboard is very expensive.
I agree. But for old-novice the workflow is noticeably improved
DP 10.11 || iMac 2019 5K ||i9 8core 3.6GHz|| 64 GB RAM|| macOS 11.5.1
RME AiOPro || Softube Console 1 ||
bayswater

Re: EditorsKeys has a DP Product >> WAIT !

Post by bayswater »

I just noticed the DP keyboard covers are not the same as my iMac wireless keyboard, or my Macbook Pro, or my Apple wired keyboard. The Enter keys are different.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

That's an EU keyboard. Their FAQ says they check your address and send the appropriate skin.
Jim Bordner

Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Follow up: it's a hit. Fits perfectly, looks great, even feels good. A pic of mine caused quite a stir at the FB MOTU User's page. You can save 7 bucks by entering WIRECUTTER as a promo code.
Jim Bordner

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Gravity Jim wrote:Follow up: it's a hit. Fits perfectly, looks great, even feels good. A pic of mine caused quite a stir at the FB MOTU User's page. You can save 7 bucks by entering WIRECUTTER as a promo code.
I just took a look at the cover on their site, at high enough resolution to read all the keys. I'm happy to say that I actually know every single one of those commands! I never realized it, but over the years they've all just stuck. And of course there are more than those, but it would be hard to represent them on the keys, as in COMMAND-CONTROL-S. Then there are the commands that I've added or changed to suit my workflow... gotta have those memorized!

I get around very quickly in DP, and knowing the keyboard commands is the key to that. With this cover, one could have the first-level commands right in front of them, making navigation nearly as fast as having it committed to memory. It's definitely worth the money, especially if you're just starting out and have to look up the commands somewhere each time.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I didn't end up getting one but might still. There are a lot of key commands I don't use often enough for them to become second nature. But like you say, it doesn't deal with customized commands? What happened to those keyboards you could program to show whatever you want on the keys?
frankf

Post by frankf »

bayswater wrote: What happened to those keyboards you could program to show whatever you want on the keys?
That would be Keypad Pro for iPad :) I have custom labeled buttons sliders and more for any DP command which I cannot remember or has difficult finger combinations to invoke.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

frankf wrote:
bayswater wrote: What happened to those keyboards you could program to show whatever you want on the keys?
That would be Keypad Pro for iPad :) I have custom labeled buttons sliders and more for any DP command which I cannot remember or has difficult finger combinations to invoke.
That looks good, but it's not what I had in mind. There was a normal-looking keyboard that had a programmable display on each key.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

bayswater wrote:What happened to those keyboards you could program to show whatever you want on the keys?
There's an extremely high-tech solution that consists of a cellulose-based material with a powerful ion-transfer back (also known as "adhesive") which comes in sheets stamped into circular dots.

You just take those self-adhesive dots, use an ancient writing instrument called a Ballpoint Pen to mark your commands, and place those dots on your keys. The magic of that ion-transfer adhesive will actually make them STAY there! You can change it at any time by just putting another one on top of the old one. When they start getting thick, peel 'em off and start over. It's an ingenious solution!

:lol:

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I did that. But then, when I switched to another app, it took hours to peel them all off, make up new ones and put them on. Then most of the labels you peel off can't be used again. It's a real PITA if you're Alt-tabbling between apps.

You had me for a second; "high tech" -- check; "powerful ion-transfer" -- OK, sounds about right; made of cellulose? --- What the heck? (that's not what I said)