Digital Performer Vs Logic Pro X

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
dewdman42
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Digital Performer Vs Logic Pro X

Post by dewdman42 »

I'm seriously intrigued about the cubase chord track feature. I can't bring myself to buy cubase just for that though.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I re-found the links that showed me how to do this in the Transform Window of Logic:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tip ... 0e69d0d5b7

http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewt ... p?p=324167

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH13170?locale=en_US

I've got to run to my gig now so probably won't have a chance to resurrect my MIDI transform presets until next weekend, as the work week will be super-intense (more so than usual).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

Right so that is actually the hard way, based on older version of logic. That is inside the "environment". As I was saying earlier, the environment is NOT a global thing, it's an attribute of a project file. There are no presets for it and it's not saved in a way that works across projects globally. So if you open an old saved project that we're doing this before, it will be there. You can import specific things from one project to another, including items from the environment.

Under LPX there is a much easier way to do this though with the "modifier" MIDI plugin on the track you want and you can save settings on that plugin as presets which you easily call up in future projects, but it's so simple to do this I don't think you will care.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Thanks; that sort of wisdom and knowledge is hard to find in web searches. I didn't realize those recommendations were old and that there are newer/leaner ways to accomplish these things.

I'll follow your other advice then, as this old way with the Transform tool is awfully complicated and doesn't even do everything I need, as it also converts Note Off Velocity. So I have lots of editing still, after the conversion process.

Oh yeah, I also now remember that I probably still have my presets after all. I had forgotten that I saved a template project to use for this purpose. That's what happens when I don't do something for 6-9 months, and it's something that is counter-intuitive and/or undocumented. I obviously had learned of the volatility earlier and made a template project to get around the problem.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Yeah; sure enough, my MIDI Transport presets are still there if I open my MIDI Conversion Template project in Logic.

So, I had simply forgotten as it had been so long. And I don't see any MIDI plug-ins, but this is an empty project and I'm super-tired after a six hour gig so don't have the energy to open a MIDI file and see if it causes other choices to show up in the main menu or the context popup menus.