Digital Performer Vs Logic Pro X

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Digital Performer Vs Logic Pro X

Post by mhschmieder »

I had corrected that in a later post but could no longer edit the original.

It's Note On Velocity that I often need to map to EXP. I can easily convert Mono Pressure to EXP on DP.

I haven't had a chance yet to check this in Cubase, which I bought last week due to its advanced lead sheet creation tools and advanced MIDI editing functionality. Half price sale atop loyalty incentives just for having the old AI light version from an earlier Yamaha keyboard purchase.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

dewdman42 wrote:if not, they have a scripting plugin that can almost for sure do it
That's true. Not sure how complex the scripting language is but I'm guessing for mhschmieder it would be a snap. :)

http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Pr ... ugNScript/

JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

I'd send a note to the main dude at blueCat audio. Tell him what you need to do and ask him which plugin will get it done best. I've found him to be very helpful and friendly. BlueCat Audio also has a support area on the KVR forum so you could post the question there and see what is suggested.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Interesting concept. Looks well-designed and thought through. I may give it a try when I get back to another project that needs some MIDI conversions, as I'm not thrilled with how many steps it takes using Logic due to not really being able to filter in as much detail as they lead you to believe.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

The latest Logic update (maybe late August or September) is a big one, and it erased all of my custom MIDI filters.

Hopefully I can find screen shots of the settings so I can redo them from scratch!

Otherwise I may have motivation to look into some of the alternative tools recommended here for covering MIDI conversions that DP doesn't provide (e.g. Note On Velocity to EXP).

OTOH maybe someone knows where those are stored, so I can search Time Machine and maybe (if compatible) recover them?

It may simply have been an overwrite decision by Apple vs. a compatibility change that is behind the custom filters disappearing.

One thing's for sure: MOTU would never do this sort of thing with an update! We can always trust that our DP settings are good as gold.

dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

If you have Time machine, we can find them. Let me poke around and see if I can come up with any answers. The previous version of Logic you were using was what?

its quite possible the old MIDI filters are still there right where you left them, but perhaps the new version of LPX is looking in a new place now, but frankly I find that hard to believe they would move it, on a minor release like that.

When you say "MIDI filters" can you be more specific exactly what you are talking about? Which MIDI plugin were you using? Were you saving the filters are plugin presets or what?
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Thanks. I haven't skipped any updates but don't know the actual version number that preceded this one. Too bad it isn't in my signature as I would have forgotten to update if so, and could spot it there. :-)

The MIDI filter in question is the window that has a flexible flow control and is highly abstract. I would never have figured it out if not for a specific tutorial that told how to do the one task I most needed to do.

Many VI's require EXP and converting Note On Velocity to EXP isn't a perfect answer but beats having no EXP, drawing a curve, or trying to coordinate an overdub of just EXP on a separate track.

The thing is, I even had a hard time finding the feature after the latest Logic update. Much of the menu system looked different to me. I think they moved things around and recategorized them. It seemed more like a major release than a minor update.

dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

flexible flow control? I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Were you using the environment?
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Oh, the window for the MIDI mapping (or whatever the feature name was) had the ability to drag the order of functional blocks, sort of like multi-processors that let you move EQ before Compression etc. I can't risk launching Logic at the moment as it could crash other things that are going on with my system during some disc backups and library updates, but will try to launch it later tonight.

dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

I'm kind of guessing right now that you were using the "environment", which has a page where you can wire things together modular style and patch this MIDI to that MIDI, etc. In the environment there is something called the transformer which can pretty much transform any MIDI event into any other MIDI event and other stuff too.

If you were using that, then you need to know that the environment is not global, its saved with the project, so any MIDI filter settings you had in the environment are in the last project you used to do that sort of thing. You can import those settings from one project to another, or setup a template that has them all and always start from that template.

Now another way to do it is with Logic's built-in "modifier" midifx plugin. That plugin only lets you do one modification, but you can have more then one MIDI plugin on a track. This is much easier then the environment. That plugin can save and load presets. On latest LPX I see they are saved by default in the following path:

Code: Select all

/Users/<you>/Music/Audio Music Apps/Plug-In Settings/Modifier/<presetname>.pst
If that is what you were using before, then do a global search on your file system for *.pst files and see if you can find them located somewhere else and then move them to the above path.
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

also check out this article:

http://www.gavinorland.com/tutorials/un ... n-folders/

Looks to me like the presets may at one time have been located under /Library/Application Support somewhere...so...I'd look under there to try to find them, then copy or move them over to the path I mentioned above and then you might have to load them once in order to populate the preset menu.

anyway try some one that and see where you get..
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Yeah, you described what I was talking about. I was surprised when they moved the feature and sort of (maybe more than sort of) renamed it as well.

I'm starting to look for places the custom MIDI transform presets might have been stored, based on your advice. Nothing so far, but I haven't dug into Time Machine yet.

Thanks a lot for the help. Whether I am successful tonight or not (I am multi-tasking like crazy), I am sure it will lead me to a solution later on at the worst.

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Unfortunately, my Time Machine backup doesn't go very far back (only to Late Spring 2016) as I apparently forgot to disable it once while doing drive swapping and/or manual backups, so it got filled up with unnecessary stuff and deleted older snapshots.

Good thing I switched to a 5TB drive for Time Machine today! And I'll be better about remembering to turn it off when throwing a drive into the SanDisk external "toaster oven" eSATA backup drive bay.

I'm sure it won't be much trouble to recreate what I did earlier, or to use the more direct approach that you describe (after all, I don't need fancy Modular Synth type routing features for my two or three MIDI Transforms).

dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

The transformer in the environment is more powerful but the MIDI plugins are a lot easier. You can probably get just about any imaginable transform by cascading several different MIDI plugins in a row if you have to. If you need to use more then one plugin then save it as a channel preset.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Cool; thanks. I also upgraded Cubase AI4 to regular Cubase recently, as the mark-down was quite favourable, and have noticed that its notation and MIDI editing have come a long ways, so I may find easier/better filters in Cubase than Logic. We'll see.