Digital Performer Vs Logic Pro X

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Digital Performer Vs Logic Pro X

Post by bayswater »

I always find the logic icons annoying but maybe we should starting working on some new DP themes.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

I liked the icons in Logic, you can design your own as well.

When you get Native Instruments Komplete the Logic bundle doesn't do it for you anymore. IMO the only world class virtual instrument in there is Sculpture. The rest are OK but compared to Komplete not so great. Figure it this way, you're going to want Kontakt at some point, and after getting Kontakt the upgrade to Komplete is a no brainer IMO.

It's one of those things I wish more people thought like I do about, the DAW itself is where there are features that you can't outsource, no way to buy a 'Chunks' plug in for Logic, and if you could live without Logic's 'Capture last take as Recording' feature that would be something that isn't happening in DP etc. I love the new plug ins in DP8 but in no small way do I wish MOTU would concentrate on core features and leave plug ins to the VST AU developers.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Good point about the Chunks plugin. And about the Logic instruments once you have some of the 3rd party VIs. Still, there a couple of sounds in EXS24 that just can't be found anywhere else except GarageBand
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

iGirl wrote:After looking at these two (and Reeaper briefly) - despite my long history with DP, for now, I couldn't resist going with Logic Pro X due to the overwhelming amount of "extras" - VI/sounds, FX, sampler, Drummer/designer/ loops etc.

I had been looking at buying extra hardware synths, or software to do these things in DP, but the cost of LPX is an overwhelmingly favorable alternative, so it only made sense.
Many disagreed with me, but for years I kept saying that the VI suite in iLogicAL was exactly the sort of thing that was missing from DP, especially in order to attract new users. The argument that was always thrown back was that "folks like to buy their pro VIs anyway, so what's the point?"

Well, as much as it saddens me that you're "defecting" (one more letter and I'd have to round up the MLI Kleanup Krew™) for the time being, iGirl, there's at least a little perverse pleasure to be gleaned from the fact that you've proved me right.

Good luck with it, sis'! Don't forget to return or continue to hang with us and bask in the love.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

monkey man wrote:Well, as much as it saddens me that you're "defecting" (one more letter and I'd have to round up the MLI Kleanup Krew™) for the time being, iGirl, there's at least a little perverse pleasure to be gleaned from the fact that you've proved me right.
Well, there's one person in this topic citing that as a reason. Granted I'm sure there are more, but we don't know how many are driven to do that. Honestly, if one is a long time user of DP, has large number of projects in DP, and is already familiar with the workflow, then moving to a completely different DAW because of included instruments doesn't make that much sense to me, personally. But to each his/her own. :D
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Oh, I agree, James.

All those times I brought it up I was thinking of the app's ability to attract new users. In light of iLogicAL's offerings, along with those of a few other DAWs, it was surely no contest, especially for someone new to the game who perhaps didn't own or couldn't afford many hardware or software synths.

Hoping DP9 will make a difference here. It'll be an improvement based on what we know already, which is a relief. Cheers bud.

iGirl

Post by iGirl »

Thanks for the replies, like I said, I'll almost certainly get DP9 as well. I believe there's a place where one can use the best of both and port things over in either direction. Had MOTU announced that MachFive (and it's VI library) was going to be included with DP9 from this point forward, I would have passed on Logic.

And yes, it's way easier to read, though I thought DP8 was slow importing 24 track audio - Logic? You might as well take a nap, or go to the grocery store and come back.
Started using Performer when it was version 1.0 !
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

iGirl wrote:... Had MOTU announced that MachFive (and it's VI library) was going to be included with DP9 from this point forward, I would have passed on Logic.
Oh man, girl!

I wish I could say something, but I can't. Came close a month ago during a heated debate in another thread... very close.

Nothing's certain at the best of times these days, but you just may find that you needn't have pulled the trigger quite when you did. Mind you, if DP9 takes another 6 months to appear, you could hardly blame yourself.

Hey, it's great to hear that you'll keep the Unicorn camp fire burnin'. Yay iGirl! Go you good thing!

billf

Post by billf »

monkey man wrote:All those times I brought it up I was thinking of the app's ability to attract new users. In light of iLogicAL's offerings, along with those of a few other DAWs, it was surely no contest, especially for someone new to the game who perhaps didn't own or couldn't afford many hardware or software synths.
I understand the marketing part, but is it really a black and white situation though? If VI's are the make/break point, can't you get MainStage routed into DP if you really must have the Logic VI's? For $29.99 at that which includes the EXS24.

If so, doesn't the use of Logic X become more for it's DAW functions and Drummer (the latter which is really a great concept). But if we are talking about DAW functions as the make/break point between a Logic or DP decision, it comes down to preference.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

iGirl wrote:Thanks for the replies, like I said, I'll almost certainly get DP9 as well. I believe there's a place where one can use the best of both and port things over in either direction. Had MOTU announced that MachFive (and it's VI library) was going to be included with DP9 from this point forward, I would have passed on Logic.
Right. It's sort of MOTU's bad luck that they haven't made billions from the iPhone and can afford to give stuff way. :(

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

monkey man wrote:
iGirl wrote:... Had MOTU announced that MachFive (and it's VI library) was going to be included with DP9 from this point forward, I would have passed on Logic.
Oh man, girl!

I wish I could say something, but I can't. Came close a month ago during a heated debate in another thread... very close.
I just did say something. Logic is subsidized by iPhone sales. Let's face it. Apple could give away Logic for nothing and it wouldn't matter to them. The Logic side of their business doesn't have to be profitable. It just has to sell computers.

Reminds me of how independent gas stations are put out of business. A big oil company owns a gas station on the opposite side of the street of the independent. They undersell the independent at a price the independent can't match without going broke. The big oil company can cover the losses on this station as long as they need to in order to put the other guy out of business.

There's nothing fair about this sort of competition, but yes, the consumer "wins".

Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Like I mentioned earlier I agree and disagree with the strategy.
IMO looking at the fact that Logic is one of App store's best selling apps it's hard write off the strategy as being a loss leader, but only a company as big and with the branding of Apple could pull off cutting prices that drastically without the consumer thinking x DAW is bankrupt or poorly written etc.

if MOTU cut the price of DP down to $200, people would assume they were hurting for cash and not offering a bargain etc. Not so with Apple, and since it costs exactly the same to upgrade DP as it does to get the latest version of Logic it's only a bargain for the first 'hit', subsequent versions are not cheaper.

All that said, if MOTU could role a flagship sampler like M53 it would do a world of good. Problem is M53 is not all their code, there's significant UVI and IRCAM code in there that they likely pay royalties to off each sale.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

billf wrote: If VI's are the make/break point, can't you get MainStage routed into DP if you really must have the Logic VI's? For $29.99 at that which includes the EXS24.
Yes you can. I do that with EXS in Logic a lot. I do find it more difficult to set up with mainstage. But your point remains. If the attraction is the VIs, just get the VIs. Cheap as borscht.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I had Logic 7 Silver or whatever it was. MachFive 3 will open EXS instruments, although I don't know if all parameters transfer across.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

It opens those that. One with logic but not all 3rd party instruments. And so of these if not ost , do. It have a Mach five version.