Getting samples off an Alesis QS

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Prime Mover
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Getting samples off an Alesis QS

Post by Prime Mover »

Hey, got a curious question. I used to use an Alesis QS8 for all my synth sounds up until about 4 years ago, when I switched over to performing exclusively with my laptop (and I'd retired the QS from studio duty long before then). Generally, the QS is not a particularly great synth, even for a rompler, however, I find myself missing a few key patches that I'd created (from scratch). I've attempted to replicate them with Massive, Kontakt, Absynth, or Korg KLC, with no success. There was just something about these particular samples that made these patches sing. So I'm really looking for a way of either finding the original raw QS multi-samples online somewhere, or figuring out how to download them off the keyboard directly. From there, I'd probably load them in Kontakt. I can't simply record these patches as they are since there are some modulators and envelopes that a processed sample wouldn't do justice.

Anyone have any ideas?
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
David Polich

Re: Getting samples off an Alesis QS

Post by David Polich »

Here's the only QS sample set I could find:

https://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php ... dfonts-sf2

It looks dodgy at best to me. You may just be throwing away your money on it.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

From what you say, I guess you intend to program modulators and envelops etc in Kontakt. So all you really need is the basic waveforms. If you don't have Redmatica, it's not difficult to do the same thing with a sequence. It can get a bit tedious naming the samples so your VI of choice (M5 for me) can read the pitch and velocity information for each sample from the name, automating the construction of keymaps. Not really practical for more than a few sounds.

Set up a MIDI track with all the root notes for the samples used for an instrument, repeat the notes with as many velocity values as matter, play, and record the result. Name the samples as mentioned above and you should be able to drag the samples into Kontakt.

I've done this with a small number of K2000 sounds I wanted. It wasn't as much work as it might sound because most of the sounds didn't have many velocity layers, most only one, and not many discrete samples. The difficult part was replicating the algorithms, not the sampling. In theory, you should create loops for each sample, but I didn't bother -- I just made long samples and used a lot of disk space.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Crap. Even with a streamlined method, it's going to take me a good hour to get a single sample off, and many of these sounds use 3-4 per patch, and I have a number of patches. We're looking at a good weeks worth of work... that's probably not worth it for what I was going to do. I was hoping there was a far simple solution. I'm shocked that no one's ever been able to find a way of directly accessing the ROM multi samples.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Might be worth searching (if you haven't already) to see if some company has made a VI of the Alesis gear.

I found the old Korg M1, all of the Emu "Proteus" modules, the Roland D-50, a Mini Moog and others.

Just a thought!

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Prime Mover wrote:I'm shocked that no one's ever been able to find a way of directly accessing the ROM multi samples.
They're probably proprietary and protected at that level. That's the case with the K2000 sounds. You're welcome to play the sounds though the algorithms, output as analog, and resample them, but you can't get at the basic ROM waves.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

buzzsmith wrote:Might be worth searching (if you haven't already) to see if some company has made a VI of the Alesis gear.

I found the old Korg M1, all of the Emu "Proteus" modules, the Roland D-50, a Mini Moog and others.
I imagine that many of us received the email pointing to this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/software ... nth-legacy

$50 from MF or Guitar Center
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

There used to be a little software which sends MIDI notes in sequence, and records sounds from any hardware synth. It sets the sounds ready to import in a sampler, including note names for each sample file.

It creates a basic set of audio files, with no synth controllers access. Just a single audio sample set, right out of the synth.

Can't remember its name right now.
It may help in your situation.
Or whenever dealing with a basic old hardware synth in a modern DAW.

Any idea ?
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

daniel.sneed wrote: Can't remember its name right now.

Any idea ?
Redmatica. No longer available. The company was bought by Apple and then left to rot.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:
daniel.sneed wrote: Can't remember its name right now.

Any idea ?
Redmatica. No longer available. The company was bought by Apple and then left to rot.
There were rumors that it would become part of ESX24 which kind of made sense. Then there was an announcement that Redmatica would be available in the App Store soon. This was 2012.

I'm not holding my breath.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:There were rumors that it would become part of ESX24 which kind of made sense. Then there was an announcement that Redmatica would be available in the App Store soon. This was 2012.

I'm not holding my breath.
No breath holding here either. I wonder whether there was some concern about copyrights for raw samples. I'm going to have to keep a ML partition forever so I can keep running it.
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

So will it not run on newer OSes? Is that what I'm hearing? Sounds incredibly useful if there's some way I could get my hands on it.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

billf

Post by billf »

Prime Mover wrote:So will it not run on newer OSes? Is that what I'm hearing? Sounds incredibly useful if there's some way I could get my hands on it.
I can't vouch for this myself as I've not used it, but others claim it's good

http://www.extranslator.com/index.php?page=exsc

There is also this, but somewhat expensive:

http://www.samplerobot.com/
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Prime Mover wrote:So will it not run on newer OSes? Is that what I'm hearing? Sounds incredibly useful if there's some way I could get my hands on it.
It runs fine on ML, you just can't buy it anymore.
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.