Praise for MagicD

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Gravity Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Praise for MagicD

Post by Gravity Jim »

I wanted to take a minute to give props to MOTU's "Magic" Dave Roberts for helping me figure out a sysex dump problem between my ancient MTP/AV USB and a Line 6 M13, a problem that Line 6 either couldn't or wouldn't even try to figure out. Trying to update its firmware rendered the M13 unusable, stuck in a loop waiting for data that wasn't coming (an, incredibly, no escape route... There's no way to factory reset the M13 when this happens, you must complete the firmware update or the unit is bricked).

Dave could have said, "your interface is unsupported now and who cares about your goofy stompbox, anyway?" But he made a couple of astute suggestions that led me directly to an elegant and correct solution. Now my M13 works again.

MagicD, ya'll. He da bomb.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Shooshie

Re: Praise for MagicD

Post by Shooshie »

I agree 128%

It would be interesting to see the solution he came up with. I don't even have a Line 6 M13, but I'm always curious about such things. It may be the key to something else on down the road, you know?

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Good idea.

Dave suggested that my MTP was so old that all kinds of weird voodoo might be going on in the course of a long data dump, and wondered if I could try sending the data from another computer, maybe with an older operating system. So installed the MOTU MIDI Driver, Sysex Librarian and the sysex file from Line 6 on Lisa's MacBook Pro, created an AMS profile with NOTHING but the MTP and a straight wire out of port 8 to the M13, and it worked perfectly on the first try.

Could be the port speed, could be the OS, could be the simplicity of the AMS profile, but it worked and my stompbox is updated. James Steele asked about the solution on the Facebook page, and he fixed his sysex trouble by simply playing the data from Sysex Librarian instead of DP.

Which I think bears out what MagicD was saying... It could be the OS, it could be the complexity of one's MIDI chain, maybe it will suddenly work if you just use a different USB ports or a different computer.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

I had a similar experience with MOTU support a few yrs back I had a non MOTU device causing a clock issue.
After some quick diagnostics they determined it was not a MOTU related issue but stayed on the phone with me anyway until we sorted it out.
I pay them back with loyalty.
Thanks MOTU.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Gravity Jim wrote:I wanted to take a minute to give props to MOTU's "Magic" Dave Roberts for helping me figure out a sysex dump problem between my ancient MTP/AV USB and a Line 6 M13, a problem that Line 6 either couldn't or wouldn't even try to figure out. Trying to update its firmware rendered the M13 unusable, stuck in a loop waiting for data that wasn't coming (an, incredibly, no escape route... There's no way to factory reset the M13 when this happens, you must complete the firmware update or the unit is bricked).

Dave could have said, "your interface is unsupported now and who cares about your goofy stompbox, anyway?" But he made a couple of astute suggestions that led me directly to an elegant and correct solution. Now my M13 works again.

MagicD, ya'll. He da bomb.
Haha! Hey... don't I know you from Facebook? :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!