Robin Williams, RIP

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Robin Williams, RIP

Post by FMiguelez »

Dan Worley wrote:
FMiguelez wrote:
Let me say that again:
We are nothing more than sacks of meat governed by the whims and caprices of the ultimate puppeteer: Our brain chemistry.

:rtfmmad:
I completely disagree, but to discuss it with you I would have to break the rules of the forum, as I think you are.
Really?

Why do you think I'm breaking the forum's rules, Dan?

What I'm paraphrasing is nothing more than the current scientific understanding of how the brain works and what it is.

Unless it's forbidden to talk about neuroscience in any of MOTUNation's fora?
I thought the forbidden topics were politics and religion...

I'd love to discuss this further with you, but I don't see where we would be breaking any rules :?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Shooshie wrote:...doctors manipulate the chemicals without knowing how they work, or what effect they will have on a particular patient.
Shooshie
+1
I have been suffering from severe depression on and off since my early teens.

About 10 years ago I decided to try some medical relief and was prescribed Effexor. It f%_ked me up something bad, and it did not make my depression better. I decided to stop taking it and I nearly went insane (maybe I did!). I later did some research and found that all sorts of people struggled both on and off that drug. Many said that they had to slowly wean themselves off of it, taking one less grain a day until they were off for good. (Empty out the capsule, count the grains, take one less each day.)

I went cold turkey, god knows how I made it through, but somehow I did.

I too came to the conclusion that many (not all) doctors blithely prescribe these very powerful drugs without thinking through what they are doing. We are indeed complex creatures, and brain chemistry is not trivial. In my case, the doc prescribed the drug, but never even bothered to follow up with me, much less do any pre/post testing on its effects.

I am glad that it works for you FM, but for me, lots of broccoli, good sleep patterns, regular walks, art, music, and regular, good habits are much more effective than drugs (of any sort!).
Dan Worley wrote:As a sufferer of depression (unipolar and bipolar) for over forty years (and un-medicated for over 30 years), this is one of the best synopsis of the disease/disorder that I've ever read. Great job!
I second that brother.

As usual Mr Shoosh, sensitive, articulate and insightful.

So many of my friends just want me to 'snap out of it', as if I have anything to do with it!

In future, I might refer them to your post.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

BKK-OZ wrote: I am glad that it works for you FM, but for me, lots of broccoli, good sleep patterns, regular walks, art, music, and regular, good habits are much more effective than drugs (of any sort!).
Yes. I also have to do all those things in addition to taking my meds.

My psychiatrist particularly insisted on developing constant and repeatable sleeping patterns and routines (i.e., exercise, good eating habits). It's been hard for me because I basically didn't have ANY schedules of any sort before, but doing those things, along with Citalopram and some others, are the only way I can function at all...

I really don't want to go back to those very dark places where my brain takes me when I don't do my new required things, as noted above :(

I really hate sleeping, though!!!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

NazRat wrote:
Shooshie wrote: Yadda, yadda, yadda...

Shooshie
You know what? You're a f'in idiot!!!
Hahahaha! I tell my brain that every day! Especially when it tells me I'd do the world a favor by quitting the earth.

Thanks for reading, anyway.

To everyone else's comments, I guess it's apparent that I've been orbiting this black hole for most of my life. All we can do is keep on trying.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

NazRat wrote: You know what? You're a f'in idiot!!!
Wow!

Where did that come from?
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

buzzsmith wrote:
NazRat wrote: You know what? You're a f'in idiot!!!
Wow!

Where did that come from?
Wow again. Maybe there's some kind of inside joke. I didn't get it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yeah... I didn't get it either. Hence I'm deleting the post as it seems like a rather clear case of a personal attack. I'd been watching this thread and maybe it's not "politics" or "religion" in a strict sense, but it's touching on areas that some people seem to have very strong opinions on. NazRat, that was totally uncalled for and a major breech of decorum. I'm shutting this topic down as well.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!