Robin Williams, RIP

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Robin Williams, RIP

Post by Shooshie »

I just can't believe it.

Robin Williams is dead. 63 years old. Apparent suicide.

This one's going to be hard on all of us.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
BKK-OZ

Re: Robin Williams, RIP

Post by BKK-OZ »

That is so sad.

For no reason at all, I happened to watch a video of him just yesterday - he was on the old Carson Tonight show, and he was soooooo funny. A gifted, truly gifted, guy.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

BKK-OZ wrote:That is so sad.

For no reason at all, I happened to watch a video of him just yesterday - he was on the old Carson Tonight show, and he was soooooo funny. A gifted, truly gifted, guy.
Same here. Yesterday I watched the Carson episode in which Jonathan Winters came on in a Civil War outfit, bouncing lines off Williams and vice-versa. They were funny together. But Robin was someone you just couldn't help but to love. He was smart, right-headed, and willing to put it all on the line for a laugh.

People in Hollywood come and go, but Robin Williams leaves a hole that can't be filled. I'm actually going to miss him. A lot.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Yeah, this is tough. I actually thought he was more gifted as an actor than a comic. His comedy was kind of one dimensional, but his acting revealed some incredible nuance and subtlety. I especially remember some of his darker roles like "Insomnia" and " One hour Photo" that proved he could be as terrifying as he was funny. They also showed some disturbing insight into his personality that brings this tragedy into even sharper focus. RIP.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Shocking and very sad. I will miss him. Being from the Bay Area, he was always one of us.
DP10.13
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Sad indeed. A reminder of just how many people that would seem to have the world at their feet are struggling with depression. He was so gifted... a true comedic genius and hardly anybody had a quicker mind and could come up with the funniest stuff just improvising. I enjoyed his movies, but really miss his stand up comedy the most. I always lament seeing brilliant stand-up comedians leaving that behind in favor of making movies. Steve Martin comes to mind as well.

RIP Robin. What a tragic loss.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

Boundless genius. He could deliver more laughs in 5 minutes of improvising than entire 2-hour movie. Eternal love and peace to you, dear Robin.

Miss U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0VM-MK2CdA
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

I share the remorse you all feel.
I have also been pondering the thought processes that may or may not have led to his decision to take his life.
I have heard he recently found out he had early Parkinson’s.
Without condoning suicide in the least bit, I think it all too possible that whence a bird flies so high, flying low is unacceptable. Meaning, the specter of mediocrity, in his mind at least, and/or of not being able to perform at his 100% amazing, high flying “standard altitude”, might have just been too abhorrent a concept for him.
It is hard to maintain such heights of talent “forever”. And it must have been a terrible feeling for him to think he could do what he used to do....after being as much a genius as he was...
he also had a recent show on TV “flop”.
Maybe anything less than stellar genius and success wasn’t worth it for him anymore?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

...and then you have someone like Muhammad Ali who went from great athelete to parkinson sufferer and bears it with stoicism.

Some have the ability to deal with adversity, some do not, and some, when they feel weak for whatever reason, give in to despair.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

It's always sad when people take their own lives (sad for the ones who still live to notice it).

Personally, I see NO value in in stubbornly hanging on to living when the prospect of our remaining life is diminished to such a degree (this reminds me of Gustavo Cerati's situation, for instance).

Based on the latest scientific findings, I think that we are nothing more than sacks of meat governed by the whims and caprices of the ultimate puppeteer: Our brain chemistry.
And when it starts failing, to the point of not being able to live with dignity, there's just no point. No value, no heroism or glory in prolonging the inevitable...
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Clinical Depression is very difficult to understand if you're not clinically depressed. The most common mistake the non-depressed make when asking about one's depression is to equate it with sadness. It resembles sadness in some ways, but a big, important difference is that sadness usually has a motive; it's about something, i.e. "she's sad about her cat who has been missing for a week." Depression may have a lot of the symptoms of sadness on the surface, but it's not about anything. It's more like crossed wires, or more literally, neurotransmitter deficiencies. Serotonin, epinephrin, dopamine... these and other neurotransmitters get out of balance, and your brain simply doesn't work normally, but goes into a protective state. Eventually it will come out of it, briefly, sometimes following a sine-wave path between depression and mania, up and down, up and down.

The person who endures this daily often seeks something to balance out the highs and lows. Others just need to elevate the lows; they never experience the manic highs. Medication can be dangerous to someone who is suicidal, for depression leave you vulnerable to the blues, low self image, criticism, self-criticism, and worse. For example, one who is depressed can be very susceptible to the suggestion that the world would be better off without them. They may see themselves as a hindrance to someone else's happiness (when the complete opposite may be the truth — it doesn't matter, depression is irrational), and gradually those little nagging feelings may convince one that suicide is the answer, and that even if it hurts people for a few weeks, they'll be so much better off that they'll be thanking them in a month or two.

So, suicide it is... except... the gun is in that closet out in the garage, and there's not a good place to hang a rope, and you're out of razor blades. The GOOD thing about depression is that it immobilizes you. You may be unable to move for long periods, other than necessary movements. So, while it may be telling you to kill yourself, it's also shut down the neural network that would make it possible to do so. After all, killing yourself requires planning and physical exertion, things that are greatly hindered by depression.

So back to the dangers of anti-depression medication. When you're in the black pit, believing with all your heart that you are a burden to the world, and that you should do the world a favor and end yourself, you're also unable to plan and carry out this difficult task. But take some medication, and there's a point at which it has raised your neurotransmitter network to the point that your body can fully function, but it has done nothing to chase away the darkness. THAT is when you are dangerous to yourself. That's the point at which you can make plans to get the gun, rope, blades, pills, or whatever, then carry out your plans.

A particular drug — Zoloft — has made that a very common occurrence. I've read about hundreds of people killing themselves after starting on Zoloft. Be aware that this isn't about weakness or selfishness, or being inconsiderate to those who love you. This is a chemical problem in which doctors manipulate the chemicals without knowing how they work, or what effect they will have on a particular patient. The suicide victim was acting on forces he or she simply was not prepared to handle.

That is just one example of too many to count. Depression has as many forms as it has victims, and nobody can know or understand exactly what is going on in the mind of a particular victim, nor can they explain it to you. They may temporarily "come out of it" in a social situation, laughing, talking, playing games, even sports, but when they go home alone, they may bottom out even worse for having stolen their reserve to be around others.

The only things I know which help on a long term basis, excluding drugs, are regular schedules, daily exercise, music (playing/performing it, though listening to it can't hurt), predictable meals, plenty of sleep, and an even keel in their personal relations with family at home. The problem is that the depressed person is almost completely unable to fulfill these requirements. They very likely need someone to help them do all these things. That usually doesn't happen, because family members often think that the victim's depression is "about" them (the family member). For example, a wife or mother might think her husband or son gets more depressed when the mother is around, therefore she avoids him.

Don't be harsh or judgmental toward the poor souls who momentarily lose their touchstones in life, leaving them open and vulnerable to self-inflicted harm. If they could come back, they'd be crying along with everyone else over the tragedy they caused. I think that most of them don't mean to hurt anyone (including themselves); they just fall victim to the depletion of their brain chemistry, and they can't get it back under control.

Sorry for the length. Some things just require explanation. I'm still torn up over Robin's death, but I don't hold him responsible for it. I just wish someone could have been there to help him.

Shooshie
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Wow, Shoosh. Once again, thoughtful (and thought provoking), extremely well written and concise.

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I hear you, Shoosh.

Believe me. I KNOW... I've been battling depression for years now. Thanks to medication that help my brain regulate missing or low supply of certain chemicals, I've been better. But I must use them everyday!

There's nothing more ANNOYING and infuriating than people telling me: Oh, Fernando... You should just be strong. Think nice thoughts and pull yourself together. AAARRRGGHHHH!!!!! As if any of this were a matter of choice and self will :smash: :smash:

Saying those kind of things just reflects the ignorance and smugness of some people who clearly pull those assertions out of their behinds without the slightest idea of what they're farting about... Arse water, really.

The brain, composed of many trillions of neurons and mind-blowing complexity, are naturally prone to having some "errors" or some imbalances. I mean, it would be almost impossible for such complexity to work perfectly every time for every one. Neuroscience is still very young, but it is looking quite promising, and I avidly follow all the current literature I can get my hands on.

Let me say that again:
We are nothing more than sacks of meat governed by the whims and caprices of the ultimate puppeteer: Our brain chemistry.

:rtfmmad:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Shooshie wrote:Clinical Depression is very difficult to understand if you're not clinically depressed. The most common mistake the non-depressed make when asking about one's depression is to equate it with sadness. It resembles sadness in some ways, but a big, important difference is that sadness usually has a motive; it's about something, i.e. "she's sad about her cat who has been missing for a week." Depression may have a lot of the symptoms of sadness on the surface, but it's not about anything. It's more like crossed wires, or more literally, neurotransmitter deficiencies. Serotonin, epinephrin, dopamine... these and other neurotransmitters get out of balance, and your brain simply doesn't work normally, but goes into a protective state. Eventually it will come out of it, briefly, sometimes following a sine-wave path between depression and mania, up and down, up and down.

The person who endures this daily often seeks something to balance out the highs and lows. Others just need to elevate the lows; they never experience the manic highs. Medication can be dangerous to someone who is suicidal, for depression leave you vulnerable to the blues, low self image, criticism, self-criticism, and worse. For example, one who is depressed can be very susceptible to the suggestion that the world would be better off without them. They may see themselves as a hindrance to someone else's happiness (when the complete opposite may be the truth — it doesn't matter, depression is irrational), and gradually those little nagging feelings may convince one that suicide is the answer, and that even if it hurts people for a few weeks, they'll be so much better off that they'll be thanking them in a month or two.

So, suicide it is... except... the gun is in that closet out in the garage, and there's not a good place to hang a rope, and you're out of razor blades. The GOOD thing about depression is that it immobilizes you. You may be unable to move for long periods, other than necessary movements. So, while it may be telling you to kill yourself, it's also shut down the neural network that would make it possible to do so. After all, killing yourself requires planning and physical exertion, things that are greatly hindered by depression.

So back to the dangers of anti-depression medication. When you're in the black pit, believing with all your heart that you are a burden to the world, and that you should do the world a favor and end yourself, you're also unable to plan and carry out this difficult task. But take some medication, and there's a point at which it has raised your neurotransmitter network to the point that your body can fully function, but it has done nothing to chase away the darkness. THAT is when you are dangerous to yourself. That's the point at which you can make plans to get the gun, rope, blades, pills, or whatever, then carry out your plans.

A particular drug — Zoloft — has made that a very common occurrence. I've read about hundreds of people killing themselves after starting on Zoloft. Be aware that this isn't about weakness or selfishness, or being inconsiderate to those who love you. This is a chemical problem in which doctors manipulate the chemicals without knowing how they work, or what effect they will have on a particular patient. The suicide victim was acting on forces he or she simply was not prepared to handle.

That is just one example of too many to count. Depression has as many forms as it has victims, and nobody can know or understand exactly what is going on in the mind of a particular victim, nor can they explain it to you. They may temporarily "come out of it" in a social situation, laughing, talking, playing games, even sports, but when they go home alone, they may bottom out even worse for having stolen their reserve to be around others.

The only things I know which help on a long term basis, excluding drugs, are regular schedules, daily exercise, music (playing/performing it, though listening to it can't hurt), predictable meals, plenty of sleep, and an even keel in their personal relations with family at home. The problem is that the depressed person is almost completely unable to fulfill these requirements. They very likely need someone to help them do all these things. That usually doesn't happen, because family members often think that the victim's depression is "about" them (the family member). For example, a wife or mother might think her husband or son gets more depressed when the mother is around, therefore she avoids him.

Don't be harsh or judgmental toward the poor souls who momentarily lose their touchstones in life, leaving them open and vulnerable to self-inflicted harm. If they could come back, they'd be crying along with everyone else over the tragedy they caused. I think that most of them don't mean to hurt anyone (including themselves); they just fall victim to the depletion of their brain chemistry, and they can't get it back under control.

Sorry for the length. Some things just require explanation. I'm still torn up over Robin's death, but I don't hold him responsible for it. I just wish someone could have been there to help him.

Shooshie
As a sufferer of depression (unipolar and bipolar) for over forty years (and un-medicated for over 30 years), this is one of the best synopsis of the disease/disorder that I've ever read. Great job!
DP10.13
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

FMiguelez wrote:
Let me say that again:
We are nothing more than sacks of meat governed by the whims and caprices of the ultimate puppeteer: Our brain chemistry.

:rtfmmad:
I completely disagree, but to discuss it with you I would have to break the rules of the forum, as I think you are.
DP10.13