An Afternoon With Shooshie!

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
buzzsmith
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

An Afternoon With Shooshie!

Post by buzzsmith »

I know that MotuNation is not Facebook, but I wanted to share...

The band that I'm working with was booked for a BIG birthday bash in Dallas this past Saturday, July 19. So prior to that, I emailed Shoosh to see if he might be up for a Sunday brunch or coffee or whatever.

He said, "Sure!", so he picked a cool cafe for us to meet at 11:00 the next morning.

(We've never physically met, but we do have some ties to my old hometown, Conroe...about 40 miles North of Houston. He lived there for a while and was a member/arranger with my brother-in-law of a band called the "JR Brass". We've also talked via phone maybe 2 or 3 times over the past 5 years or so.)

Anyway, we arrived as did Shoosh just a few minutes later. What a cool experience! Shoosh is just as funny and as smart and witty as are his posts. My wife was enamored. (And we avoided "tech talk".)

Then, in spite of some minor problems with his feet, he also accompanied us to the Dallas Arboretum (as my wife is big time into horticulture) and acted as guide and historian of the property.

Just a really enjoyable 4 hours with a great guy.

What a neat visit with one of (in my opinion) the MotuNation "biggies".

Thanks, Shooshie!

Buzzy (and Sharon)
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Tritonemusic

Re: An Afternoon With Shooshie!

Post by Tritonemusic »

Nice!
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Hey Buzz:

Glad you got to meet Shoosh. People don't get much more down to earth than that. The internet is wonderful, but there will never be a real substitute for meeting people in person over a cup of coffee or a bowl of soup.

Also, I have it from a good source (Shooshie himself) that the cafe where you met was one in the same where I met him and his wife for the first time a couple of years ago.

Nice, indeed.

frodo
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I'm jealous.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

It was a very nice afternoon. Shooshie's wife could not attend because of her weekend work schedule.

We would have liked to have enjoyed her company, as well.

Maybe next time!
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

That was truly a fun afternoon! Of course, Buzzy is a keyboard legend in these parts, especially the Houston area, and I think everyone knows him. It FEELS like we know each other, because we know all the same places, and while I don't know all the people he knows, I think he knows everyone that I do. He's funny and interesting, always enjoying a good laugh. And his wife is charming! As we walked around the Dallas Arboretum, she told us the names of all the plants. I'm jealous! All those years in the Boy Scouts, and I barely know the difference between shortleaf and loblolly pines, much less all those other things with leaves and flowers! It was the perfect Dallas day. 67° in the morning, warming up into the 80s or 90s by afternoon, but never uncomfortable.

Click on the pictures for the full-size versions:

Any day you can spend with great folks — especially those rare birds known as musicians — is a day well-spent, and this, folks, was a great day!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Tim

Post by Tim »

buzzsmith wrote:I know that MotuNation is not Facebook, but I wanted to share...
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Tim wrote:
buzzsmith wrote:I know that MotuNation is not Facebook, but I wanted to share...
As usual, you wax eloquent Tim. It's feeling like Old Home Week 'round these parts. Most excellent!
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

HCMarkus wrote:
Tim wrote:
As usual, you wax eloquent Tim. It's feeling like Old Home Week 'round these parts. Most excellent!

Well put, both of you!

6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

How awesome.

Babz