San Diegans - looks like Buffalo Brothers is about to close

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
SixStringGeek
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

San Diegans - looks like Buffalo Brothers is about to close

Post by SixStringGeek »

Went in there recently and they've got virtually no inventory. Nothing. Nada. I spoke to the guy manning the desk and he said unless they find a buyer soon or get some other cash infusion - they're about done. So bummed out. They were my go-to source for quality used axes.

So who else in San Diego is really good? I *hate* to buy new electric guitars (like I don't buy new cars - let the other guy take the depreciation hit). I prefer the used market. I always have a few things on my shopping list - but no place to go look now. Tips on good used selection very welcome.

I still need:
1) A proper authentic American Standard Strat from a decent year.
2) A Rockabilly machine - preferably Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins with Bigsby sort of thing. Might settle for a Setzer signature version with TV Jones pups.
3) who knows?
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: San Diegans - looks like Buffalo Brothers is about to cl

Post by mikehalloran »

I did a lot of business with them over the years either at the store or at guitar shows. They were able to get top dollar on some pieces through their extensive network of international dealers.

The store is empty - I had heard that but it's hard to visualize. I remember thinking that I could have spent $100K in the bass room alone and not get everything I wanted.

I need to make a trip later this summer to the Museum of Making Music in Carlsbad as some of my banjos are part of the current exhibit. Normally, Buffalo Bros would be part of the trip.

Damn.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro