Axe FX II XL?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
SixStringGeek
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Axe FX II XL?

Post by SixStringGeek »

The newest model. I can only assume the next one will be called Axe FX II XL Pro or something.

Anybody tried one?

They are pricey, but look pretty powerful/convenient. Looking at the artist list I see they seem to be favored by guitarists known for a distorted sound - so I'm wondering if it can do something like a nice warm Fender Twin. I'm also wondering if I can't do as well with a laptop and Amplitube/Guitar Rig.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
Gravity Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Axe FX II XL?

Post by Gravity Jim »

Modeling's weak spot is always overdrive, and the AxeFXII seems to do it best. But it doesn't appear to do clean tones any better than POD HD, Amplitude, Guitar Rig, etc.

I came within a pen stroke of buying an AxeFXII, but finally tried converting a closet into a guitar ISO booth and it works incredibly well. Real glad I didn't spend the bucks. If I was in your position and mostly interested in clean sounds, I'd try a really nice DI like the Radial JDI with some software... yeah, it will take some tweaking, but so will an AxeFX, and the learning curve on those things is a trudge (check the Fractal forums for confirmation).
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]