B9 Organ Machine New Guitar Toy

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: B9 Organ Machine New Guitar Toy

Post by bayswater »

Interstellar Overdrive will never sound the same again.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

I like things that attempt to sound like something else, but then fall short of the original and create something different, or better (e.g., The Beatles tried to imitate Chuck Berry and Little Richard) ... Or sometimes the best things happen by abusing a device -- using it in ways other than its intended purpose.

The examples in the video are all trying to recreate classic organ tracks -- and that's great; maybe you have a live set where you need to cover 96 Tears, but that's your only organ tune of the night. This is great for that.

The B9 doesn't quite sound like organ, but that's OK. We've already got organs. It's almost like a parody or tribute organ sound. What appeals to me about this is just new colors for the guitarist's palette. My favorite examples are the ones that sound *least* like organ. I like the examples toward the end like "Bell Organ", the Jon Lordish thing, or the one mixing in the dry guitar w/ the pad sound behind it.

I'd like to see what you can do when you start combining this with other effects in the chain -- distortion, delays, tremolo ... And I wonder how it behaves when you start bending strings. I'd say EH has done it again. In a world where every stompbox thing has been done to death, they've managed to crack open the guitarist's window and let in a few different timbres.

Babz
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Shooshie »

Ooooo... Device abuse! Mmmmmm...
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|