What's MOTU up to these days?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Todzilla
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

What's MOTU up to these days?

Post by Todzilla »

Given all they delivered in 2013, I shouldn't seem disappointed in notable lack of customer facing new goodies in 2014, but I'm wondering if anyone knows what they're cooking up?

I'm eager to see DP 9, if nothing more than to satisfy the curiosity I have over what they could possible add to the product.

New/Improved VIs?
New/Improved interfaces?
More moves into video?
Bigger marketing push into Wintel market?
More forays into iOS?
-Todzilla
Huge sound generation & capture facilities
On the banks of the River Eno
DP 8!!!, OSX 10.7.3, 15" MacBook Pro w 16G RAM 256G SSD & 630GHD, MOTU 896HD, MX4, Komplete 8, Apogee Symphony I/O, Neumann U-89, pair of Peluso P12s, Seventh Circle & Demeter preamps, Lava lamp, stuffed frog playing bongos
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: What's MOTU up to these days?

Post by stubbsonic »

I imagine that everything they do in terms of both hardware and software is driven by the decisions that Apple makes, both in terms of OS changes and hardware evolution.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

DP is certainly dominated by Mac users, but is that the case for MOTU hardware and its other software products? And, I took the introduction of DP for Windows to be a move to reduce dependency on Apple.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote:And, I took the introduction of DP for Windows to be a move to reduce dependency on Apple.
Which as much as I hate to say it is probably very smart and a hedge against whatever crazy direction the Mac takes now that Jobs (RIP) is gone. :(
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Not so much a dependency reduction as a co-dependency now with both platforms.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Todzilla

Post by Todzilla »

Yeah, just wondering if there are rumblings of a DP 9 or movement to release new hardware that is not just an upgrade of existing stuff.

They deserve to catch their breath after DP 8 and the massive effort of re-tooling it for cross-platform compatibility, but I'm always curious.

Any word on how the Windows marketing effort is being received? If the traffic on this board is any indication, I am a bit concerned about that challenge.
-Todzilla
Huge sound generation & capture facilities
On the banks of the River Eno
DP 8!!!, OSX 10.7.3, 15" MacBook Pro w 16G RAM 256G SSD & 630GHD, MOTU 896HD, MX4, Komplete 8, Apogee Symphony I/O, Neumann U-89, pair of Peluso P12s, Seventh Circle & Demeter preamps, Lava lamp, stuffed frog playing bongos
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Todzilla wrote:Yeah, just wondering if there are rumblings of a DP 9
I hope MOTU doesn't follow Apple's practise of an update every year for its own sake. We're still at 8.0x.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I agree. I'd like to see maybe an 8.1 before at DP9. I don't think it would hurt at all to slow down and optimize. Oh well. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I imagine it must be demoralizing to spend so much time & resources trying to squash bugs and get your software working great whilst knowing that in 6 months Apple will release some new OS and hose everything.

I would be interesting to see a graph showing the time intervals between OS releases.

[EDIT: here it is:]

http://robservatory.com/a-useless-analy ... ase-dates/
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Babz

Post by Babz »

Now we know Thunderbolt and AVB is at least part of the answer.

Babz